[review] NuPrime uDSD
Aug 31, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 60
hi I've recently purchased the Nuprime uDSD. It's great, but I think I need an amp for this DAC because my headphone has a pretty high impendance (DT 880 Pro 250ohm). My question is, how do I connect this Nuprime Udsd to a headphone amplifer? note: I'm using usb cable to connect it to my desktop

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #18 of 60
You would simply connect the RCA outputs of the uDSD to your desktop amp.

Although I want to note the misconception here... impedance is not the determining factor in needing an amp. The sensitivity (expressed as dB @ 1mW) is the more important number.

Do you *feel* that the DT880 is underpowered from the uDSD? Many people get carried away just looking at numbers without really listening first.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 60
 Hi Armaegis!
A query: I have in my pc sound card Asus Xonar DX and I wonder if it's worth the Nuprime replace DSD; would be a great improvement in the quality of audio being I use youtube, spotify to listen to music?
Greetings !

Sergio

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 60
If you already have a dedicated pc sound card, I don't think the uDSD would be a noticeable improvement, especially if just listening from youtube/spotify. Invest the money in music first and save up for a better dac down the road.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #24 of 60
Hi friends.

I just realized that there is a new version Nuforce uDac-5.  The specs are similar of the uDSD:
http://www.optomausa.com/soundproduct/uDAC5

Current prices at Amazon:
uDac5 $170.97
uDSD  $179.00

Does anyone has info about uDac5.  Whats the difference between uDac5 and uDSD, is newer Udac5? is uDSD the dDac4 with a different name?  Which unit sounds better?, is same quality? .....

I sent a set of questions to Nuprime and to Optoma, one person from Nuprime answer (have no answer from Optoma):

"
I can’t comment too much since both were designed and manufactured by Nuprime’s factory :).
If I were you, I would buy from the company that actually design the product :wink:
By the way, you can trade in your uDAC2 for $50 value toward uDSD from www.sonicunity.com

"

¡¡ So, he said nothing !!!

:wink: 

May 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 60
Hi I got an uDSD some days ago, it works fine!

However, there is something is weird: I need to move the volume knob to about 60% o 70% in order to get he volume required for my headphones NAD VISO HP 50 ad Grado sr225, these are efficient headphones.  

Comparison: I have a nuforce udac-3, this unit is supposed to be less powerful than uDSD, however in udac-3 I set the volume knob up to 40% so get the same volume I getting from uDSD in 70%.

In the images you can see the computer configuration, I use exactly the same config for both dacs.

Has anybody experience a situation like this, is this normal?.  I send a question about this to nuprime support, this is their answer:

"
Both amps are different in design, what you are experience is the different volume position as both amps are using different chips.  
The volume increments are calculated differently for both amps.
"

"... 
uDSD and uDAC* uses different volume control pot => they are different so you can not based on the position of the volume pot to determine the maximum power of the DAC.
"

May 8, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 60
Most volume taper pots are not true log but actually two (maybe more) linear segments. The placement of these segments will greatly affect where your volume knob is going to be to achieve a certain loudness. There's some images here: http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm
If you've still got plenty of headroom, then don't worry about it.

May 8, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 60
Hi! I've just purchased this DAC and I'm loving it so far, but can someone explain to me how to configure Jriver to play DSD files without downconverting (whe I play a .DSF the white light of the DAC (PCM) lights up. Also I' would want to play the PCM files in their native sample rates (without upconverting them). Sorry if is a dumb question.
Franco.-

May 10, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 60
Just to double check... but in the DSP menu do you have the sample rate converter unchecked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back