Review: Niimbus Audio US4+ Statement Amplifier (includes large high-end amp roundup)
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #137 of 153
Everyone knows Violectric amps lack in technical department. Fanboys cant accept that.
Go troll on reddit asshole. No one likes people like you here.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #138 of 153
Kicking back listening to Steely Dan on my rig and wondering what it would sound like with the Niimbus as the amp. Hope to read more impressions on it's sound.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #139 of 153
Kicking back listening to Steely Dan on my rig and wondering what it would sound like with the Niimbus as the amp. Hope to read more impressions on it's sound.
more impressions in this (somewhat more active) thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us5-pro-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/

my two biggest things about it:
1) the niimbus has texture to its sound right across the spectrum.
2) so much more gets illuminated rather than hiding in the shadows - my previous v280 sounded veiled compared to the niimbus.

Also “black” background.
not inexpensive amp but i no longer need another solid state amp.

edit: and no issues driving susvaras at all.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #140 of 153
more impressions in this (somewhat more active) thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us5-pro-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/

my two biggest things about it:
1) the niimbus has texture to its sound right across the spectrum.
2) so much more gets illuminated rather than hiding in the shadows - my previous v280 sounded veiled compared to the niimbus.

Also “black” background.
not inexpensive amp but i no longer need another solid state amp.

edit: and no issues driving susvaras at all.
Thanks! I'm subscribed to that thread too, I must have thought I was over there. Thanks for the impressions though! I do like my gsx mini, but with the Niimbus - I think going through both threads, I only found one person that returned Niimbus - everyone else seems to love it, which is encouraging! Thanks again!

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #141 of 153
Thanks! I'm subscribed to that thread too, I must have thought I was over there. Thanks for the impressions though! I do like my gsx mini, but with the Niimbus - I think going through both threads, I only found one person that returned Niimbus - everyone else seems to love it, which is encouraging! Thanks again!
I don’t consider it cheap or a “must have”.

For me it is/was an indulgence leaving me with no interest in getting another (solid state) amp.

even though i would most recommend it with top hps (say susvaras, lcd4, utopia) etc i have also been surprised by the extra detail i have recently heard from my recently rebought empyreans compared to what i remember hearing the first time with my auralic taurus.

that has been a pleasant surprise

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #143 of 153
I also use Niimbus with all sorts of headphones, it brings them to life in ways I have never heard before. Focal Elex, various Fostex woodies, HD800 and HD800S, LCD-2, K812... Not sure any of these qualify as totl these days, but they all are worth hearing through the Niimbus.

But it also sounds superb with totl models too.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #145 of 153
Some words about the upcoming D/A converters under the Niimbus brand.

The cases will be as those from HPA US 4 /4+.
There will also be the prominent large illuminated volume knob.
A big point we thought about was to implement a display or not.
If yes, it would have been a black/white OLED display.
Finally we voted against a display out of the following reason:
The past showed that our gear lasts for at least 15 – 20 years of hassle free operation.
We cannot guarantee that for any display. What, if a display fails which is essential for operation after let´s say 12 years and we are unable to supply a spare part because its not produced anymore.
Shall we say to the customer: Sorry, put your DAC in the bin?
That’s not our way to deal and so we will employ some buttons to control the DACs.

The DACs will have “analog” generated supply voltages coming from two oversized toroidal transformers. Also there will be Nichicon capacitors in the power supply as well as mains voltage filters to keep high frequency noises away.

The digital architecture from both models will be the same.
Some PCM inputs, balanced, unbalanced, optical. One or two UBS inputs capable of at least 384 kHz sample rate and, yes, DSD. Most of you know that I am an admitted DSD hater because that format is good for nothing and most time the files are at least cheating if not fraud. But, give them people what they desire …
The activated input is then connected to a 32 bit resampling unit with over 170 dB theoretical dynamic range, The clock supply for the resampling is taken from our well introduced Femto-Clock from Lake People DAT RS 05. We will have 4 x D/A converter (32 Bit types) per channel to smooth the conversion process.
This is what we learned during the development from our DAC V800 to V850. An enhanced clock supply counts, as well as a converter array.

The lower positioned Niimbus DAC will have a digital 32 bit volume attenuator and re-engineered fully balanced analog output paths.

The higher positioned Niimbus DAC will have some additional analog inputs (1 x balanced, 2 x unbalanced) to use it as a combined analog and digital pre-amp.
Because of the analog inputs, the volume control is also analog and taken from HPA US 4+ (256 steps with reed relays).

The analog output signals will end in a balanced output (XLR) and an unbalanced output (RCA) which again can be used simultaneously due to independent drivers. Of course we will have the intelligent and low impedance adjustable output voltage know from DAC V800/V850, but with dip-switches on the back and not inside.

We hope to release the prototypes during the high-end show in Munich in May 2019.
Suggested prices are 3500 EUR/USD for the lower positioned DAC and 5000 EUR/USD for the higher positioned DAC (EUR prices including VAT, USD prices excluding VAT).

Cheers, Fried
Whatever happened to these?

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #146 of 153
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back