Review: Niimbus Audio US4+ Statement Amplifier (includes large high-end amp roundup)
Feb 9, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #122 of 153
I can add it my opinion. V280 i had, had great dynamics and was very quiet. Resolution, transparency, detail and soundstage though were quite poor. Works well with Bright headphones and dacs, but it is not transparent or great amp so it would taake Niimbus to be leaps and bounds better to rival top amps.
I have to agree with you, the V280 has some trouble integrating the left and right stereo canals, the stereo imaging is a little odd. I don’t know if it is a phase inverted in one canal or what. I am very sensitive to this and using HE1000se and Susvara is obvious comparing to other amps.
From the timber and bass perspective is very good. I don’t know if V281 has the same problem.
I thought the Niimbus US4 will have all the benefits of V280 without the flaws.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #124 of 153
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #125 of 153
Things I Love about the Niimbus US4+:

3) Pre gain settings - customizable gain for DACs of varying voltage output and a range of headphones from my very sensitive Empyrean to the beastly Susvara or K1000. This is a huge plus - especially as some of the TOTL planar HPs are becoming more efficient.

I googled niimbus + k1000 and your description is the only one found in head-fi and some other sites.
Do you mind provide some more details - is the sound balanced and non-fatiguing, if possible, how does it compare against speaker amps, etc?
I've been using FirstWatt F1j, and am considering consolidating to 1 amp for k1000 + hd800s + optionally T1.2. Appreciate it!

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #126 of 153
I sold my Niimbus awhile back and regret it. To my memory it was never fatiguing, always engaging and had a nice open sound similar to what I've heard w/ big triode amps. I've not had many speaker amps for the Susvara and K 1000 so I can't comment there. I don't think you would be disappointed at all with the NIimbus.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #127 of 153
I sold my Niimbus awhile back and regret it. To my memory it was never fatiguing, always engaging and had a nice open sound similar to what I've heard w/ big triode amps. I've not had many speaker amps for the Susvara and K 1000 so I can't comment there. I don't think you would be disappointed at all with the NIimbus.
Looks a good match. Thank you!
Class A speaker amp is really not that friendly for daily usage, like playing background music for WFH.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #128 of 153
I bought that Niimbus from you! It was a while ago now but I still have yet to see another used one for sale in the US since that time so I’m very happy I pulled the trigger. Also goes to show how much folks enjoy the Niimbus. It deserves all the plaudits. Did you get another solid state amp to replace it?

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #129 of 153
I went the Electrostatic route w/ the 009S and Carbon.

I do have a Kinki Studio Headamp which for the money sounds better to me than anything close to it's price point and reminds me somewhat of the Niimbus - with almost the same level of refinement (note I am using the Chord Qutest and M scaler). That said - it's still not a Niimbus.

Kinki THR-1.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #130 of 153
I went the Electrostatic route w/ the 009S and Carbon.

I do have a Kinki Studio Headamp which for the money sounds better to me than anything close to it's price point and reminds me somewhat of the Niimbus - with almost the same level of refinement (note I am using the Chord Qutest and M scaler). That said - it's still not a Niimbus.

Kinki THR-1.jpg

I never heard of this amp until your post. Just read reviews on it. Very interesting!

(I'm a known amp 'ho...and now have a new "impulse control issue" on the horizon)

Question: does this baby come w/a remote control?

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #131 of 153
Kinki is well known for it's integrated speaker amp the EX-M1.

I have to look back - I thought the manual said it did come w/ remote however I did not get one. It's really a very engaging amp (some of that could be the Chord front end doing its thing). Just a bit on the warm side of neutral however very detailed and supremely listenable. Just enough umph to drive the Susvara but probably not the last word there.

I purchased mine from Charisma Audio in Canada - very good communication.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #132 of 153
Has anyone compared the US4+ to Audio GD HE9 ?

May 29, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #134 of 153
I will be bringing in the Luxman before making a final decision. The Nimbus - I came away with the same opinion as I had of its sister Violectric V281 two years ago - nothing special.
Any impressions to share in the comparison of Niimbus to Luxman?

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #135 of 153
First off, that's an excellent system you have there! I love the Anniversary DAC with V281. PWT does a fine job as well, so you've got no weak links to speak of. However, I see what you mean about Susvara - it sounds great to my ears with V281, but it does actually scale more with certain amps.

This. My wording there had to do with lower noise, not power output.

V281 was at its most powerful into 100 ohm loads, which happened to coincide with the original 100 ohm Audeze LCD-4. Not sure if that was on purpose or not, but it doesn't matter since later LCD-4 models were 200 ohms. So your 60 ohm Susvara should be seeing somewhere around 4.5W per channel from V281.

Meanwhile Niimbus delivers the most power (7W) into 50 ohm loads. I don't have the full chart indicating what it does into other loads, but your Susvara should be seeing at least 6W per channel, perhaps a bit more. I can't say whether or not a potent speaker amp would do better but at some point you have "enough", and focus more on quality than quantity.
How does the Nimbus compare to the Bakoon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back