Review: NAD Viso HP50
Dec 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #151 of 184
  Fine choice.  Let me say that, to my ears, they are VASTLY better than the Q701s.  I had the K702s, which are not at all far off the same headphone and I only kept them for a month due to the unnatural upper mid/treble issues.  These NADs are my endgame closed back headphone - search over.  If you like perfectly balanced, natural yet warm, detailed and open sound that works really well with all genres, then you'll love these!

I agree, the NADs are wonderfully balanced with great tonality and the room feel feature works amazingly well. They probably would have been my end game closed back if only they were slightly bigger. I have a large head and the earcups didn't extend down far enough to cover my ears properly which caused undue pressure from the headband and gave me a sore head so i couldnt wear them for very long sadly
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #154 of 184
I bought the v-moda cable with the microphone and it worked perfectly!

It was a bit expensive, but it was a perfect match for these headphones.

And the headphones are perfect for me, the best I had so far.

Thanks for all the tips about cables and opinions about the headphones here.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #157 of 184
Sorry if this has been covered already (haven't read through the whole thread): Has anybody found a remedy for the creaking noises these headphones apparently are known for?

Just got a pair of these yesterday to replace my Focal Spirit Professional. While I thought the sound of the Focal Pros to be good enough, I just couldn't live with the discomfort - I have a small head and still have an issue with the clamping power of the Focal Pros. Also, in spite of small ears, the Spirit Pro feels like something in between over-ear and on-ear - not a good place to be!

I've spent most of the hours since I got the NAD VISO HP50 listening to them. My first impression is that I like the sound a lot. On some tracks, I perceive a slight hump in the upper bass / lower midrange, which is a bit distracting - but it is only noticeable on certain tracks. To me, the sound of the HP50 is slightly forward, which adds clarity and a sense of presence to vocals. I would characterize the HP50 as neutraLISH - not completely neutral. I think I prefer their sound over that of the Focal Spirit Professional, but I still prefer my Sennheiser HD580 over the NAD VISO HP50. I know, I know - it's like comparing apples and oranges, as the HD580 is an open back headphone, strictly for home use. Also, the wearing comfort of the HP50 is nowhere near that of the HD580.

I find the wearing comfort of the HP50 to improve as I wear them for a while (viscoelastic foam in ear-pads?), but ideally a little more width (front to rear) would have been appreciated. Also, when I first put them on, they seemed to lack in the bass frequencies - but I found that this was a matter of a not good enough seal under my ears. As already stated, I have a small head and I have to have the HP50 size adjustment fully collapsed for best fit.

First listen was connected directly to my iPhone, which had no problem powering the NAD VISO HP50 - and the sound was pretty impressive! However, connected to my Marantz HD-DAC1, sound quality did improve - subtly but noticeably!

Anyway, I've had the HP50 for less than 24 hours and the hinge on the right side creaks every time I touch it / move it - annoying! No such problem on the left side. Which is my main reason for posting this: Has anybody here found a remedy for the plastic creaking? I was thinking that a dab of silicone might help?

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #158 of 184
I have had my HP50's for about six months now but I have not noticed any creaking noises. It could the fit. I notice that I have to fiddle a little to get the earpads in a good position. This is a problem I have with many over ear phones that have smallish pads. I tried Brainwavz pads as a mod, but they reduced the seal. I did find them more comfortable, though.

Graphite powder might help at the hinges but you have to be careful not to get too much (obviously!)

Good luck!

P.S. I really like the sound of these headphones!

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #159 of 184
I have had my HP50's for about six months now but I have not noticed any creaking noises. It could the fit. I notice that I have to fiddle a little to get the earpads in a good position. This is a problem I have with many over ear phones that have smallish pads. I tried Brainwavz pads as a mod, but they reduced the seal. I did find them more comfortable, though.

Graphite powder might help at the hinges but you have to be careful not to get too much (obviously!)

Good luck!

P.S. I really like the sound of these headphones!

Thank you for your input Johnny! It is not a matter of fit - it's parts rubbing against each other that creates the creaking noise - and it has nothing to do with the signal. Just picking the headphones up create the physical creaking noise! Of course it is worse/louder when it is on your head and right next to your ear!

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #160 of 184

Anyway, I've had the HP50 for less than 24 hours and the hinge on the right side creaks every time I touch it / move it - annoying! No such problem on the left side. Which is my main reason for posting this: Has anybody here found a remedy for the plastic creaking? I was thinking that a dab of silicone might help?

The creaking was driving me nuts! So I decided to analyze the problem. And in the process I found a simple fix, just adding a small piece of electrical tape...

I took some photos with my iPhone, somewhat documenting the process, see this gallery: 
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1042689/nad-viso-hp50-creak-removal/

My process in words:
1. I removed the earpad - four metallic screws appeared.
2. I unscrewed the four metallic screws and gently removed the plastic part with the driver attached to it. There was a piece of loose black foam behind the driver - I put it aside.
3. The secondary black cover piece could be removed (not screwed in, but may not come off without some fiddling).
4. Four black screws appeared - unscrewed them.
5. Now I could see the hinge mechanism, which seemed to be the source of the creaking noise.
6. With some trial and error I determined that the creaking noise came from the encircled plastic parts rubbing against the last removed plastic piece (the one attached with four black screws).
7. I added a small piece of electrical tape to the problem area and the creaking noise was gone! 
8. I put the parts back together again in the reverse order. When you get to the point of putting the loose black foam back in, note that the cord goes on the backside of the foam (towards the outside of the ear cup) and that the side with a circular indentation faces the driver.

Note the little self-adhesive foam pad in one of the photos. I bet that is there to prevent the hinge from scraping against the black piece of plastic! But the two encircled pieces of red plastic apparently also needed some kind of "padding".

I hope this is of help to others experiencing the same problem...

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #161 of 184
  I find the wearing comfort of the HP50 to improve as I wear them for a while (viscoelastic foam in ear-pads?), but ideally a little more width (front to rear) would have been appreciated. Also, when I first put them on, they seemed to lack in the bass frequencies - but I found that this was a matter of a not good enough seal under my ears. As already stated, I have a small head and I have to have the HP50 size adjustment fully collapsed for best fit.

I've now concluded that even with the size adjustment fully collapsed - the HP50 are too big for me. I'll need to add some extra padding to the underside of the headband.

The reason I didn't notice was because I was lying down a lot of the time I was listening to them, and hence gravity was not pulling them down to the point where there would be a lack of seal beneath my ears. When I sit up, this is definitely a problem. If I lift them up a bit it helps.

So if you have a small(ish) head - be warned - you may have problems getting the NAD Viso HP50 to fit properly!

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #162 of 184
I use the VISO for the last 6 months and Yes they remind me of the JACKLIN FLOAT which I did use 20 years ago ! What I like: they easy to drive ,can listen for long hours without getting tired use it with my I-BASSO DX 50 mostly with high-resolution files and sometimes with my audio system or my computer-set up with a geek out DAC .Its obvious that you need quality music to see what this headphone are cable of !The HP is beautifully balanced at least to my ears and takes time to listen to appreciate the sonic characteristics . It is not one of this HP were you get impressed right away by big bass etc. and Yes there are more expensive and a bit better head phones around but the price they ask and the sonic improvements don't match up . For me the VISO present the best value HP on the market with great sound one cannot ask for more !

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #163 of 184

The creaking was driving me nuts! So I decided to analyze the problem. And in the process I found a simple fix, just adding a small piece of electrical tape...

I took some photos with my iPhone, somewhat documenting the process, see this gallery: 
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1042689/nad-viso-hp50-creak-removal/

My process in words:
1. I removed the earpad - four metallic screws appeared.
2. I unscrewed the four metallic screws and gently removed the plastic part with the driver attached to it. There was a piece of loose black foam behind the driver - I put it aside.
3. The secondary black cover piece could be removed (not screwed in, but may not come off without some fiddling).
4. Four black screws appeared - unscrewed them.
5. Now I could see the hinge mechanism, which seemed to be the source of the creaking noise.
6. With some trial and error I determined that the creaking noise came from the encircled plastic parts rubbing against the last removed plastic piece (the one attached with four black screws).
7. I added a small piece of electrical tape to the problem area and the creaking noise was gone! 
8. I put the parts back together again in the reverse order. When you get to the point of putting the loose black foam back in, note that the cord goes on the backside of the foam (towards the outside of the ear cup) and that the side with a circular indentation faces the driver.

Note the little self-adhesive foam pad in one of the photos. I bet that is there to prevent the hinge from scraping against the black piece of plastic! But the two encircled pieces of red plastic apparently also needed some kind of "padding".

I hope this is of help to others experiencing the same problem...

Great tip - thanks!

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #164 of 184
Hi, I saw a number of people posting here about enjoying the sound signature of the HP50 but not the comfort wearing it for an extended amount of time. Perhaps some of you have moved on to other pairs of headphones and perhaps some of you kept it as an alternative to other headphones you own. I was wondering if you could provide me with these alternatives (preferably open-back) that you feel is pretty similar to the sound signature of the HP50. Thanks!

I have seen a few people who like the sound signature of the HP50 also happen to like the AKG K7XX. I wonder if this is true.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #165 of 184
  Hi, I saw a number of people posting here about enjoying the sound signature of the HP50 but not the comfort wearing it for an extended amount of time. Perhaps some of you have moved on to other pairs of headphones and perhaps some of you kept it as an alternative to other headphones you own. I was wondering if you could provide me with these alternatives (preferably open-back) that you feel is pretty similar to the sound signature of the HP50. Thanks!

I have seen a few people who like the sound signature of the HP50 also happen to like the AKG K7XX. I wonder if this is true.

Long before I got the HP50's I had the Sennheiser HD580 Precision - and I still do. These are my favorite pair of headphones. I wouldn't say the sound signature is the same as the HP50's, but I still like both. My quest is somewhat the opposite of yours - I have an open pair I am perfectly happy with (HD580) and am looking to supplement this with a closed back pair, preferably with a similar sound signature to my HD580's. The HP50's do not fit me well (too big over the head) and they are, as you say, not super-comfortable.The Sennheiser HD580 is essentially the same as Sennheiser HD600, which is more known and still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back