REVIEW: Musical Paradise MP-301 Tube Headphone / Speaker amp
Sep 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #76 of 146
What tubes did u go with for replacement? I was just gunna go with what skylab had listed as his current setup that is: ken rad 6v6gt's and mullard 6au6's

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #79 of 146
Yeah, the Mullard EF94 seem to be a little ellusive - I got lucky. Ditto with the Brimat 6V6GT I use on my MP301.

I use mine mostly as a speaker amp these days - it drives a pair of small B&W speakers in my basement where my workout area is - does a very nice job.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #80 of 146
Hello Sevaru,
If you still have the problem, feel free to email me.

Best Regards,
Garry

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #81 of 146
Anyone has good 6L6 on hand, feel free to try and post your result.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #82 of 146
Well, I am using the Brimar black-glass, and they sound great! The Tung-Sol black-glass also sounds great.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #83 of 146
Ok I got a set of ken rad's and mullards from brent jesse recording. First thing I noticed is that whenever I turn the volume knob I hear a "brushing static" noise coming from the left channel only. Once the volume is set though, I don't hear any distortion through the music. Is this brushing sound normal? So far the amp has been on for only 30 hours and still waiting to see if it's still there after 48 or more

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #85 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I got a set of ken rad's and mullards from brent jesse recording. First thing I noticed is that whenever I turn the volume knob I hear a "brushing static" noise coming from the left channel only. Once the volume is set though, I don't hear any distortion through the music. Is this brushing sound normal? So far the amp has been on for only 30 hours and still waiting to see if it's still there after 48 or more

That sure sounds like a bad tube to me. The only suggestion I have is try removing the tubes and making sure the tube pins are clean. Otherwise, call Brent Jesse, he stands by his tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone haveany idea of how it would sound with my low impedance Ultrasones (40 ohm) and ad700s (32 ohm) compared to my LD I+

I had no issue with them using my 64 ohm JVC DX1000 - that is about the most help I can offer. It is transformer coupled, and has a pretty low output impedance, so it should work fine with any low impedance headphone.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #86 of 146
After some trial and error, I deducted that the mullard ef94's are at fault, by looking closely, clearly one of them has a burn spot on one of the pins at the bottom. Will contact Brent tomm.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #87 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also doesn’t work perfectly with all headphones. ... On the other hand, it wasn’t a good match with the JVC DX1000, although I highly doubt anyone will pair the two of them together. But it wasn’t a great fit with the JVC RX900, either, since they are a little thick sounding already.

Hi, Skylab. Could you clarify why the JVC DX1000 didn't complement the MP-301 well? I have a DX3 and would like to coax a warmer sound from it. With a mini^3, I like the bass and upper registers just fine, but I'm looking for more organic sounding mids.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #88 of 146
Well, I find the DX1000 to be on the warm side already - so they didn't really need the extra warmth. But the DX3 are not the DX1000, so they might benefit from some warmth, I don't know, never heard them.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #89 of 146
Thanks, Skylab.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #90 of 146
I bought the MP-301 to complement my JVC HA-DX3. I’m glad I did. I’d hoped the amp would uncover some latent sweetness in these phones. But what it did was light them up like like a Christmas tree. The sound, overall, is far more engaging and vital.

This is my first tube amp so I can’t add much, or disagree with anything, that Skylab says in his review. But I will say I’m impressed. Definitely one of my better audio purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back