REVIEW: Musical Paradise MP-301 Tube Headphone / Speaker amp
May 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 146
Some very nice looking amps, would love to listen to one. The 6V6 is w/ the 7591A my favorite tube. If you have a chance to listen to an old 60's black face Fender Champ or a 60's Ampeg Reverbrocket or Jet you will hear what I am talking about.
wink.gif

May 31, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #47 of 146
Skylab: The Audio Space range of amplifiers are designed, engineered and tested in Hong Kong, assembly is of course in China. Audio Space have a strong following in Japan and are quite well respected having being featured and reviewed in the Japanese "MJ" magazine (Hi-end audio journal mainly on tube gear) on many occasions.

biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #48 of 146
Cool. I sent an email asking for a review unit - let's see what happens.

May 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #49 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^^^ You may wish to also check the latest update I posted in the Yarland P-100 thread where I list rankings compared with some other amps. I have also made a note that with some of the tube amps, the headphone type and impedance does have an overall bearing on the low level amp noise (call it very low level tube hum) detected and the AS-2.8i is no different from other tube amps. Some headphones are just terrible with any tube amp, period, I think it has to do with the impedance of the cans used.

They also have a 300B version which looks very nice!

darthsmile.gif

May 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #50 of 146
Agreed on all that - tube amps require a little care in headphone matching.

May 31, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #51 of 146
^^^LOL, I'm up to my eyeballs in tubes and amps and need more rack space! BTW have you seen the G&W Tsing Hua University head amp which looks like the P-100 but slightly higher (also tubes and wood face plate with gold knobs). I've been trying to find more details on the web, but failed?

biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #52 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions on 6V6 tubes for rolling?
tongue_smile.gif

AS_2_8I.jpg

Really nice amp there. From the 9 types of 6V6 I have tried so far, I have found the best to be:
- Radiotechnique RT 6V6G (most balanced, warm and sweet)
- JJ 6V6S (the only new production tube I've tried with Sino: powerful, extended and strong mids)
- RCA 6VGgt (very warm, full, great bass)
- Ken-Rad 6V6gt (a bit like RCA, less fat)
- Sicte 6V6 (also warm, creamy, but not as full/thick as RCA; more refined)

The only brands that I didn't like were
- the stock Sino
- Sylvania (sounds honky-farty, not very extended)
- Mullard (probably rebranded... sounds muddy)

Anyone tried NOS GEC or Mazda 6V6G ?? They are supposedly the best

May 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #53 of 146
I have a pair of beautiful NOS GEC 6V6G's I bought for the MP-301, but can't use since the sockets are too close to use the G versions...grrr...

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #54 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by shotmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice amp there. From the 9 types of 6V6 I have tried so far, I have found the best to be:
- Radiotechnique RT 6V6G (most balanced, warm and sweet)
- JJ 6V6S (the only new production tube I've tried with Sino: powerful, extended and strong mids)
- RCA 6VGgt (very warm, full, great bass)
- Ken-Rad 6V6gt (a bit like RCA, less fat)
- Sicte 6V6 (also warm, creamy, but not as full/thick as RCA; more refined)

The only brands that I didn't like were
- the stock Sino
- Sylvania (sounds honky-farty, not very extended)
- Mullard (probably rebranded... sounds muddy)

Anyone tried NOS GEC or Mazda 6V6G ?? They are supposedly the best

^^ Thanks for the info., this will assist me in tube selection, many thanks.

biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #55 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^^^ Any reply yet?

biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #56 of 146
Nope. I'm guessing they either are not interested, or did not understand my email due to language issues...

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #57 of 146
^^^ I don't think it's a language issue, more like because they are a quite well established brand they may not have any interest???

confused_face(1).gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #58 of 146
Probably. If they don't feel they will benefit from a review, for whatever reason, they won't bother. So either they don't want to risk the possibility of a negative review for whatever reason, or don't think the hassle/expense is worth it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #60 of 146
Skylab, have you tested the MP-301 with speakers? Also, would you say it is the best 'tubey' tube amp under $300?

I'm looking at the MP-301, Qinpu A-3 and the Eddie Current Lunchbox. I want a characteristic tube sound (even at the cost of losing some accuracy/transparency) and ability to drive speakers. What would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back