Review: Modded iPod Classic 7G with 240GB HDD from eBay
Jul 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #76 of 194
Quote:
Would cases for the good old 6th generation "fat" 160 gb ipod work?

I guess they would, as I think the body dimension is the same... 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #78 of 194
Got the 240 gb a few days ago and I'm uploading it with a ton of ALAC files as I'm typing this.  Love the extra capacity!...  And yes, cases made for the fat 6th generation ipod fit it perfectly, but don't get one that has a wheel cover.  Keep reading to see why not.

I noticed that the click wheel capacitance function (scrolling, changing volume) is inoperable if the wheel is covered by anything (silicone or plastic cover etc.).  Clickable functions do work fine.  My 6th generation 80 gb ipod's wheel works perfectly well even when covered.  I use it when running.  It sits in a case with a plastic wheel cover and I put it in my shorts' back pocket and can still use the wheel (clicking, scrolling up and down, changing volume...) through both the shorts' fabric AND the case's plastic cover.  NOT my 7th generation ipod!  I have to keep it in a case that does not have a wheel cover and have to take it out of my pocket to change volume while running which is a major pain. 

Has Apple changed the technology of the wheel for the 7th generation iPod?  Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?  Thanks.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #79 of 194
Quote:
Got the 240 gb a few days ago and I'm uploading it with a ton of ALAC files as I'm typing this.  Love the extra capacity!...  And yes, cases made for the fat 6th generation ipod fit it perfectly, but don't get one that has a wheel cover.  Keep reading to see why not.

I noticed that the click wheel capacitance function (scrolling, changing volume) is inoperable if the wheel is covered by anything (silicone or plastic cover etc.).  Clickable functions do work fine.  My 6th generation 80 gb ipod's wheel works perfectly well even when covered.  I use it when running.  It sits in a case with a plastic wheel cover and I put it in my shorts' back pocket and can still use the wheel (clicking, scrolling up and down, changing volume...) through both the shorts' fabric AND the case's plastic cover.  NOT my 7th generation ipod!  I have to keep it in a case that does not have a wheel cover and have to take it out of my pocket to change volume while running which is a major pain. 

Has Apple changed the technology of the wheel for the 7th generation iPod?  Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?  Thanks.

I use the iLuv remote (an interconnect with an apple remote, like original earbuds) that could solve your problem. It's ideal to control your iPhone or iPod withouttaning it out of your pocket.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #80 of 194
Quote:

I use the iLuv remote (an interconnect with an apple remote, like original earbuds) that could solve your problem. It's ideal to control your iPhone or iPod withouttaning it out of your pocket.

As I was looking up the iLuv remote on Amazon, I came accross this FiiO E5 headphone amplifier with volume control:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343593247&sr=1-1&keywords=FiiO+E5+Headphone+Amplifier

It is compact enough and has a built in clip to attache to clothes so it's not a bad alternative to a wheel that is usable through fabric for me to control the ipad volume with when running .  I'm sure the amplification is not dramatic but it's icing on the cake.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #81 of 194
Thanks for this thread, people. Mine just arrived, is loaded with 219gb of music, and is happily feeding my CLAS. Quick and painless transaction from elec-king. The unit looks brand-new and is operating flawlessly.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #82 of 194
Congrats barbes.  I'm enjoying mine too.  I have about 200gb of FLAC music on it now...

On a different note, I have quite a few Arabic songs on the ipod.  iTunes and my desktop seem to be able to handle Arabic characters very well.  All song info is shown perfectly well.  My iPod?  Not really.  All info in Arabic simply shows up as a blank.  You can tell there is something there as you can scroll through the list of Arabic albums and songs (all blank).  Is there anything I can do to have my iPod show Arabic characters?  I would appreciate any help you guys can lend with this.  I did a search and pretty much came up empty...  Thanks.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #83 of 194
If anyone is here..
I'm thinking about getting one of these, but on eBay they're listed at 7th Gen, would this work with RockBox? Does anyone here have a 240gb rockboxed 7th gen ipod classic?
Also, would this rockbox work with the USB DACs such as the Fostex HP-P1, AlgoRhythm Solo, a Pure i20 dock etc.? I'd probably get an HP-P1 in the future (that's what I want the ipod for, an external DAC)

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #84 of 194
Quote:
If anyone is here..
I'm thinking about getting one of these, but on eBay they're listed at 7th Gen, would this work with RockBox? Does anyone here have a 240gb rockboxed 7th gen ipod classic?
Also, would this rockbox work with the USB DACs such as the Fostex HP-P1, AlgoRhythm Solo, a Pure i20 dock etc.? I'd probably get an HP-P1 in the future (that's what I want the ipod for, an external DAC)

See here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening

Basically, you can use Rockbox with a 7th gen iPod Classic. It's just that the install process isn't as simple as with older versions of the iPod... 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #85 of 194
Oct 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #90 of 194
In case this helps anybody who is shopping for a large capacity ipod:

http://www.ipodzens.com/ipz_prductinfo.aspx?prd_id=321

Might cost a bit more than the ones on ebay, but these guys appear to have these in stock and they should be completely refurbished (new outer case) and in my opinion this older 5.5 gen model provides noticeably better sound quality compared to the newer models.  

The 5.5 gen ipod video used a very good Wolfson DAC, and happens to be a preferred model for the Red Wine Audio "imod" or self-made "DIYmod" which bypasses the internal capacitors and makes the unit, along with Rockbox, become a true audiophile-grade portable when using the Line-Out into a good amp.  The mod does not affect the headphone output, but does require a LOD to be used that contains good quality capacitors to filter out DC voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back