[REVIEW] Lindy Premium Hi-Fi Headphones
Nov 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JRG1990

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes they look identical to the Fischer Audio FA-003, Fischer and lindy probley use the same OEM, I havn't heard the Fischer's but my guess is the lindys sound the same but with more bass, I think there tuned slightly differently I suspect the lindys being tuned towards more and lower bass made them less efficient thats why the Sensitivity is -5db compared to the fischers.
Here's a link to the review for the fischers FA-003 http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ, I think pretty much everthing said applies to the lindys apart from the bass.

This is my first review so I am sorry if I have over/under hyped the headphones I tryed to be quite picky and not to over hype anything, and sorry if I used the wrong terms etc I tried my best.

I drove the headphones with my fiio e7/e9 combo connected to my laptop, no software enchances or eq or anything was enabled, I listen to dubstep, grime and a bit of d'n'b nothing else.

SPEC’S:

•› Frequency range: 10-26000 Hz
 •› Sensitivity: 100 dB
 •› Impedance: 64 Ohm
 •› Power handling capacity: 100 mW
 •› Length of a cable: 3.0 M
 •› Colour: bronze/black
 •› 42mm drivers with dynamic, neodymium magnets and CCAW voice coils
 •› Etc: additional cushions, 6.3mm screw-on jack adapter.
 •› Nominal THD: <0.2% at 1KHz

In The Box:

•› Heavily padded carry case
•› 3m 3.5mm stereo to 2x 3.5mm mono jack cable
•› Extra thinner set of ear pads

Build Quality and Fit:

I found the them very comfortable to wear for long periods of time, the ear cups are a good size and the thick pads makes them very comfortable there like 2 big cusions and keep your ears warm,
isolation is really good theres no to minimal leakage depending on volume, they well they feel very sturdy and solid, the cable isn’t at all microphonic but 3m is a bit long.

Sound:

Here's the frequency responce graph (from manufacture)

Low end: The bass is precise it's only present when theres bass in the music it's very accurate and theres only a tiny bit of emphasis also theres no nasty dips or peaks. The bass is very true to whats in the music if it's fast and punchy then you will get fast and punchy and these headphones have really good punch it's very strong, powerful and clean and tight at the same time low kicks sound really nice and have excellent impact, If the bass is slow and strong then these do that really well aswell these headphone will always please you with the bass, the bass is powerful and clean theres no bloat or boomyness and it overpowers nothing it's easy to pick out the sub bass , mid bass and high bass layers for example with a wobbley sine wave like bass at about 60hz and a low kick at about 150hz you can easily and clearly hear each one with good detail with great definition.
Overall the bass is top quality I can't fault it the only thing I would change is to make it flat down to 20hz rather than 25hz not that it would make much difference.

Midrange: The midrange is also very netrual and true to the recording but a bit recessed at times, it has great impact and energy partically with synths in eletronic music, it does better with the more energentic stuff than it does with the smoother stuff, snare drums sound very natural and have very accurate decay drums in gernal sound really good and natural on these headphones, vocals sound quite natural aswell but nothing special. the midrange also has quite good seperation and never gets congested it is clear, clean and detailed.

Treble: The treble has excellent extension and is really well placed in the soundstage and it's quite spacious a combination of these means it can have a really nice 3d'ish effect sometimes. Thetreble is also very detailed and crisp theres no roll off or veil here, everything can be heard very clearly and cleanly theres no grain, grit or anything, it does well and sounds quite natural with most things but things like cymbals and triangles etc can sound a bit stale and a bit dull it's a bit too smooth for me,decay is very good but I would prefer a bit more sibilance and sparkle on the plus side this means the treble is non fatiguing and not harsh in anyway.

Overall: The soundstage is outstanding for a pair of closed headphones, its not far off opened back headphones just with with open backs you get the effect the sound extends outside the headphones which you don't get with these but otherwise there on par with a good pair of open backed headphones the imaging is also really good and sometimes they have a holographic 3d'ish effect. The sound boarders on warm because of the slight bass emphasis otherwise it would be more towards cold.
These are quite netrual sounding headphones and have a full sound so they would be suitable for most types of music, they have a good amount of detail and are quite resolving so they do show up bad recordings a bit, they don't sound harsh or gritty on there own however if the recording is harsh or gritty they will they don't veil harsh peaks or anything.
Despite being rather netrual these headphones are fun and addictive to listen to, I think it's due to a combo of there outstanding bass performane and huge holographic soundstage.
These are a outstanding set of headphones for just under £80, you get much much more than £80 worth of headphone the sound and build quality would probley rival headphones double this price, If your looking for a headphone under £100 I don't think these can be beat.

Burn in: They need about 10-20hours to bring out the bass (loosen the drivers) thats all.

Are they easy to drive: Yes there 64ohm and need about 15mw of power to get them to a good volume, with the fiio e7 there quite loud on half of it's full output and my nokia n8 can almost drive them they just sound a bit underpowered.

Where can I buy them and how much: There £75+ postage direct from the manufacture http://www.lindy.co.uk/premium-hi-fi-headphones/20378.html , or £78 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphones/dp/B0057P09EK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321911907&sr=8-2

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 6
If only I knew about this before I bought the FA-003! Could have saved quite a bit of money! Nice review though!

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Just got myself a pair of the Lindy headphones after hanging around on this forum for a while reading comments, and I have to say they are amazing! A big Thank You to the dedicated and enthusiatic posters at Head-Fi. I use them with a FiiO E17, set to zero gain (or the E17 as DAC into a Neco amp for even greater space and dynamics), connected to a PC via Audioquest Cinnamon cable and the sound is clear, dynamic and engaging on all types of music. They take a few hours to really open up, but when they do the mid-range clears and the bass gets deeper and also clearer - or so it sounds to me. My Sennheiser HD 518s now need a new home... anyone interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back