REVIEW : Leckerton Audio uHA-4 vs Just Audio uHA-120
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 50
Just a quick update on the DAC in the uHA-4 : I have spent considerably more hours using the Leckerton from my netbook since this review was written and I admit that I may have been overly harsh on the DAC in the slimline amp. While I still dont think its going to win any shootouts with the MSII or similar, for casual listening its fine : I am able to forget about the gear and just relax and listen to my music. Apologies to those who took umbrage with my initial, somewhat unflattering, appraisal of the uHA-4 DAC - I really needed to give it more time.

I continue to use both amps, and the E9, at the expense of my 'old faithful' iBasso amps, occasionally plugging my PL50s into the T3 for portable use.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #33 of 50
You are most welcome, and I thank you for your kind words. The cheque, as always, is in the mail. 
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 50
Thanks for the write up, very concise and thorough.  Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #36 of 50

Okay, maybe it wasn't a technical surgical masterpiece, but he did use a wide range of material of tests/data and wrote individual comments and observations about each of them.  Also included other opinions and whichever, broadening his sample size.  Fairly concise, considering this is a more or less, amateur forum.
Quote:
Concise?! Well maybe not. But it totally challenged lots of what I read, observe and feel on headfi. And it taught me how to think more about value and quality. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 50
Skylab's reviews were 'concise' - this was as much rant as 'review', but I got a few things off my chest. Its all good.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #41 of 50
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, although I've been reading it since a lot of time ago.

My current portable rig consists of IPOD Classic 80Gb > HRT Istreamer (Battery powered) > Meier Corda Headsix. The headphones are Etymotic ER4P/S, Phonak Audeo PFE (grey filters) and

AKG K500. I own a pair of AKG K701, but to drive them properly, I have a Heed Canamp (stationary use).

So far, I am happy with the sound of the portable rig, but in search of improving the sound as a whole, my next goal is to get a new portable amp.

I am wondering about the Justaudio uha-120 to drive the headphones (in-ear & AKG K500), but given the output voltage value of the istreamer (2,25 Volts RMS), I don't know if the Justaudio

would be the correct choice (clipping & imbalance volume problems).

I am currently using the headsix (hi gain mode) with the Etys & Phonaks at a volume around 9, hence my doubts regarding this matter.

I have read about the 2Stepdance, but apart from the low battery duration, it seems to have issues regarding its digital volume (clicks & pops).

I live in Spain, so I would really prefer to buy the amp in Europe (to avoid surprises with customs). The maximum price would be around 300 Euro, and both the 2Stepdance & Justaudio uha-120

are inside this range of price. However I'm totally opened to another brands and models.

I'm not a basshead, I rather prefer an accurate sound in all the spectrum.

I strongly prefer quality more than quantity, and I would really appreciate your advices and comments before making a decision.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #42 of 50
O i just read this, I was going to buy this but the term 'bassy' scared me. How "bassy" is this? Meaning is their a bass boost/emphasis on the bass and sub-bass? I dont like over emphasis on bass. I want a neutral amp with good transparency. Soundstage is a bonus but I know with size fact it is hard to get a slim amp with good soundstage improvement. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #43 of 50
I would describe neither of these amps as 'bass boosted' - those wanting bass boost need only buy a ZO/ZO2 or one of the portable amps with said feature. Having lived with both amps for almost 7 months now, I consider both excellent choices but there have been several new releases from Fiio and iBasso since then : trying to keep on top of the curve in portable amps would be a thankless (and expensive) task. For the majority of newbie Head-Fiers, I recommend the uHA-4 over the uHA-120.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #44 of 50
I think I order them over this weekend. It seems like this this size category nothing comes close to them in their price point. People keep telling me RSA shadow is smaller, yes it is, but it is not slim. it is tiny and thick and it cost a hell of  alot more! 

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #45 of 50
Fair enough, but iBasso now have several slim amps for very little cash - the goalposts are constantly moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back