Review: JDS Labs O2 (Black edition) + O2/ODAC discussion
Jun 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #496 of 543
I doubt there will be anything wrong with the pairing
The O2 if very neutral so if you like the headphones all the O2 will add is gain.

Not tried the CDAC. ODAC is great but I prefer the iDAC from iFi.

yeah I like the sound, of the DT 990s it is more fun but I actually enjoy things like London Philharmonic Orchestra from it, along with De-loused in the Comatorium  by Mars Volta sounds fantastic as well, I was just checking because of what people tend to say about them being slightly bright with the odac and I was not sure if that was true. Anyways thanks for the replies like usual.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #498 of 543
Ok guys, I just bought a new 02 and noticed that the power port is located on the back, not front.

Also there no light indicator when the power cord it's plugged in.
The charger plug in adaptor doesn't no go the way in and can easily slide out. 

Is this normal? 

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #499 of 543
I'm getting ready o order the O2 on monday.  I was reading the first page of this thread.  I LOVE the HD 650's sound signature; even right out of my laptop.  I just want them to be LOUDER, which is why i'm ordering the O2.  I prefer a flatter sound, which is why I have my HD650s in the house, some Focal KRX 2s in my car (DEH PRS80 driving them), and some Yamaha HS80Ms monitors for listening in the house.  All I want is an amp to make my laptop's signal louder, thats all.  If the O2 with the dac makes it sound cleaner, then thats a bonus.  

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #500 of 543
I don't know what your built-in souncard is like but the JDS Labs models will likely improve things no end.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #502 of 543
I inevitably experience the popping sound when the 02 gets low battery. Will this damage my headphones? It doesn't take more than 5 seconds but you know it kinda scared the hell out of me when I hear that popping aound because it's sound is like something that can damage a headphone.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #503 of 543
I inevitably experience the popping sound when the 02 gets low battery. Will this damage my headphones? It doesn't take more than 5 seconds but you know it kinda scared the hell out of me when I hear that popping aound because it's sound is like something that can damage a headphone.

As long as the amp is powered down quickly, headphones will incur no damage.

Allowing the cyclic, low battery operation to continue for extended durations may overheat some drivers.  Note that heat damages drivers. Brief transients from O2 are safe, just as playing excessively loud and/or clipped music for a short time is also safe (extended clipped playback produces heat --> heat kills drivers).

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #504 of 543
As long as the amp is powered down quickly, headphones will incur no damage.

Allowing the cyclic, low battery operation to continue for extended durations may overheat some drivers.  Note that heat damages drivers. Brief transients from O2 are safe, just as playing excessively loud and/or clipped music for a short time is also safe (extended clipped playback produces heat --> heat kills drivers).

Do you mean that it is not good to invariably use my headphones with the 02 in low battery?

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #505 of 543
Do you mean that it is not good to invariably use my headphones with the 02 in low battery?

Not good? It's safe, just not recommended for long durations. There is no chance of damage unless you allow the amp to cycle on/off long enough to simulate clipped music playback. This would take quite a long time--several minutes or even hours. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Consider this behavior O2's way of providing low-battery-indication.

We test thousands of O2's per year, and thousands of customers make longer use of the amp. It's completely safe to operate O2. Simply turn the amp off or connect its AC adapter when its batteries are too low for normal playback.

You'll find a suggestion in O2's instructions guide to turn the amp off when batteries are too low for playback. This statement exists because 1 in the past 10,000 customers fell asleep while his new O2 was running on battery power. After more than an hour of on/off transients, his headphones had overheated. JDS Labs replaced this guy's AKG's, and added a cautionary statement to the instructions guide. Solution: Keep O2 plugged into AC when you step away, or turn it off to avoid neglect.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #507 of 543
Will this Amp sound good with jvc sz1000 ? I want to hear sub bass, and i hate mid bass, is there a solution to eq down the mid bass.

Depends more on how the JVC's sound than the amp. I haven't found a headphone that doesn't work with the O2 yet and I see no reason why yours wouldn't.
To EQ down the mid-bass, use an EQ! But I think you knew that. If you still can't get the sound you want, time to try some different headphones.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #508 of 543
Depends more on how the JVC's sound than the amp. I haven't found a headphone that doesn't work with the O2 yet and I see no reason why yours wouldn't.
To EQ down the mid-bass, use an EQ! But I think you knew that. If you still can't get the sound you want, time to try some different headphones. :beerchug:

The JvC sz1000 is a weird headphone, it says 16 ohm impedence, but the sub bass doesn't work until I give a good amp to drive, I heard this headphone is power hungry.
I have fiio x3, sounds lil veiled, I want to hear the full potential of this headphone.

Used my phone lg g2, it sounds like crap.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #509 of 543
The JvC sz1000 is a weird headphone, it says 16 ohm impedence, but the sub bass doesn't work until I give a good amp to drive, I heard this headphone is power hungry.
I have fiio x3, sounds lil veiled, I want to hear the full potential of this headphone.

Used my phone lg g2, it sounds like crap.

The specs claim power handling up to 1.5 watt, so it would seem they don't mind power! On the other hand, the 107dB efficiency @1 mW suggests they do not need a TON of power to crank.

The main problem could be output impedance - that is, with a low 16 Ohm rating, it is very important that the amps you strap them to have very low output impedance. Sadly, most amp makers don't reveal that spec and it can definitely have an impact on your listening experience. Your fiio should be up to the task based on the specs alone, but you hear a "veiled" sound. Are you sure that isn't just the headphone itself? Lots of my sennheiser phones sound good but always a little "veiled".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back