[Review] iBasso D-Zero, with FiiO E7 Comparison
Mar 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #32 of 102
I seem to be getting more hiss from my D-Zero than from my E7.  I could be noticing it more because the D-Zero is putting out more power and it seems louder, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

EDIT: Disregard this post. After looking into it further, the hiss was coming from the source and not the amps.  It was just perceived higher in the D-Zero due to the increased amplification.  The D-Zero is producing very clean amplification with no detectable hiss.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #34 of 102
I will throw in my two cents in comparing the D-Zero and E7.  I will echo most of the OPs sentiments as far as the D-Zero goes.  From a sound quality and power standpoint, it is definitely a step above the E7.  On the other hand, from an ergonomics standpoint I think that I prefer the E7.  The D-Zero is much smaller than the E7 and adds little to the size or footprint of your DAP.  The E7 is larger, but fits well in your hand when coupled to an ipod or other DAP.  The location of the volume controls on the side of the E7 make for easy adjustment where as the D-Zero requires you to look for the small wheel on the bottom of the unit and adjust volume there.  The EQ boost and digital volume display on the E7 are nice as well. 

For the price difference, I am not sure that the D-Zero is worth it.  I would like to see it a little less expensive.  On the other hand, I had quality issues right out of the box with my E7, so you could argue that you are paying a little more for build quality.  At this price point, they are both great at what they do.  For me, I give the edge to the D-Zero for its clean power, build quality and credit card size.  I love mine and take it everywhere. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #35 of 102
I know this is irrelevant in relation to the review but I just want to know if the aux output section of the d-zero would work as a dac together with say, creative t40 series ii or audio engine a2?

Wondering if d-zero can function as a dac for the laptop speakers by using the aux/o and 3.5mm cables.

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #36 of 102
I know this is irrelevant in relation to the review but I just want to know if the aux output section of the d-zero would work as a dac together with say, creative t40 series ii or audio engine a2?

Wondering if d-zero can function as a dac for the laptop speakers by using the aux/o and 3.5mm cables.

Yes, of course it can. That's the whole ideal of having the AUX-out (which is a line-out btw).

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #37 of 102
Kinda off topic but I am trying to find out if the D-Zero will work with my AT&T Galaxy SIII.

My thinking is that since the D-Zero uses the same TI 2706 USB receiver as the Fiio E7, there is a very good chance that the D-Zero will behave the same when paired with the Galaxy SIII.

Anyone here care to shade some light on that?

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #38 of 102
I was wondering the same thing about the D-Zero working with the Galaxy SIII, and discovered this thread:

http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=314&start=20#p1563

Yes, it works!! I think the two devices will make a great combo. Be sure to use the "OTG" style of USB cable... it's essential.

Quote:
Kinda off topic but I am trying to find out if the D-Zero will work with my AT&T Galaxy SIII.

My thinking is that since the D-Zero uses the same TI 2706 USB receiver as the Fiio E7, there is a very good chance that the D-Zero will behave the same when paired with the Galaxy SIII.

Anyone here care to shade some light on that?

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 102
Sorry if this is going to be a noob question as i have just bought my first pair of decent headphones (ATH-M50) as an entry to the audiophile world, i was wondering if the ibasso would make a big difference in sound quality and soundstage. It would also be helpful to know if a dac will make a difference in sq when connected to a macbook pro. From what i understand, the m50 are quite easy headphones to drive so an amp will have a minimal sound difference. Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #40 of 102
Feel the same some man here : D zero is completely over E7 in sq.

When I plug IEM se535 to E7 driving by Galaxy S III (own a wolfson Dac) , I almost didnt feel the change, in other words, I don't know E7 was connected or not.
That didnt happen to D zero, it is much clear and clean sound.

One thing strange. I try another ibasso headamp (not sure, not check model name) which cost $55 plus from d zero : the result is cheaper one wins sound quality!
One good thing of expensive one is just it's very small size, about 70% compare to dzero

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #41 of 102
first off all thank you for giving the exact info i was looking for

if i use D-zero with an android tablet with usb cable(in the box) activating the DAC part and then use the amp, is that possible?
if yes will it best portable amp for the price range?
going to use it with ath m35 & ath t500.listening to vocals mostly

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #42 of 102
D-Zero USB OTG hooked up to Galaxy S3. Works like a charm...
beyersmile.png

This is nice... I just received an iBasso D-Zero bought directly from the manufacturer. I had no idea that a short USB OTG cable is included in the box now.

The cable is marked iBasso Audio - Android 4.0 & Above USB OTG Cable.

Kudos to iBasso for keeping ahead of the game!

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #43 of 102
Quote:
D-Zero USB OTG hooked up to Galaxy S3. Works like a charm...
beyersmile.png

This is nice... I just received an iBasso D-Zero bought directly from the manufacturer. I had no idea that a short USB OTG cable is included in the box now.

The cable is marked iBasso Audio - Android 4.0 & Above USB OTG Cable.

Kudos to iBasso for keeping ahead of the game!

Where did you get thatt OTG cable?! O_O

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 102
Quote:

Where did you get thatt OTG cable?! O_O

McNikk, it came with the D-Zero. In the box was a regular USB to mini charging cable, a 3.5 to 3.5 mm interconnect and the USB OTG cable. Good thinking by iBasso! 

Unfortunately the included OTG lead already died on me. When the D-Zero is attached to the back of the Galaxy S3, the short OTG cable twists rather fiercely. It also stressed the connector on the Galaxy too much to be comfortable with. The whole set up did not feel very reassuring. After two days the cable stopped working altogether.

It would have been better had iBasso chosen for a right angled micro USB connector and a cable that is about an inch longer. As it is now, when used portable in a normal manner, the thing is way too easily disconnected/dislodged from the phone.

Sound quality through USB out > DAC > Amp > M-80 was much better than just using the 3.5 mm cable and amp, bypassing the DAC. So I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the silver OTG cable as posted here several times.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 102
McNikk, it came with the D-Zero. In the box was a regular USB to mini charging cable, a 3.5 to 3.5 mm interconnect and the USB OTG cable. Good thinking by iBasso! 

Unfortunately the included OTG lead already died on me. When the D-Zero is attached to the back of the Galaxy S3, the short OTG cable twists rather fiercely. It also stressed the connector on the Galaxy too much to be comfortable with. The whole set up did not feel very reassuring. After two days the cable stopped working altogether.

It would have been better had iBasso chosen for a right angled micro USB connector and a cable that is about an inch longer. As it is now, when used portable in a normal manner, the thing is way too easily disconnected/dislodged from the phone.

Sound quality through USB out > DAC > Amp > M-80 was much better than just using the 3.5 mm cable and amp, bypassing the DAC. So I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the silver OTG cable as posted here several times.

Hm. That really good to know. Thank you. Can you confirm for me that a micro to mini usb is what is needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back