[Review] Hisoundaudio POPO IEM
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rushofmusic

Head-Fier

Hi All,
First of all I’d like to thank Mr. Jack Fu from Hisoundaudio for choosing me with these IEMs to review. Hopefully this review will be able to shed some light on the IEMs from a company known for its DAP. The POPO IEMs have a great mix of value and fun factor.
Now down to the actual review:

The case packaging is a little plain and feels a bit cheap for IEMs of this price, especially compared to the elaborate and well-presented packaging of the DUNU IEMs. The plastic case is quite reminiscent of the case that iPods used to come in. Then again packaging doesn’t have much to do with sound quality so it’s not a big deal to me.

Accessories: The packaging comes with the IEMs themselves, a shirt clip, and a whole array of different eartips. There are 3 sets of regular eartips (S,M,L), 3 sets of bi-flange tips, and 3 sets of triple-flange tips. The assorted mix is very nice although the build quality on them isn’t fantastic. However, I did enjoy trying different ones as IEMs that I bought in the past did not have as extensive of a mix as the POPO IEMs do. The one thing I think should be included (and is pretty much standard for any IEM this price) is a carrying case. (8/10)

Build Quality: I love the red wiring on the IEMs and the wood housings do look very classy. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that my unit at least already has some small chips on the edge of the wood. However, the housings themselves are very sturdy and built very well. There are strain reliefs both on the housings and the plug although the plug has me worrying a bit; the strain relief seems a bit flimsy and the plug itself isn’t very well protected. The cable itself feels fantastic, relatively rubbery with almost no memory and relatively tangle-free as well. Overall, I really like the build but the actual plug has me a little concerned (8/10)

Isolation: I actually do get a very good seal with just the standard Medium eartip. With the bi-flanges it’s even better but not quite as comfortable for me. For a vented IEM, the isolation is fantastic. I can easily block out sounds on campus, on a bus, or even in a room next to a common room with people drinking and playing games (9/10)

Comfort: Between the ergonomic shape of these IEMs and the giant variety of tips provided, comfort is top notch for me. Unfortunately I must note that with a few of the eartips (particularly the Medium single flanged ones) do lead to some annoying driver flex. (9/10)

Microphonics: Pretty standard. The material that the wire is made out of seems to attract a bit of noise from rubbing however. Microphonics could be reduced by wearing them over-the-ear but with the shape of the housings, it doesn’t really work out for these IEMs (7.5/10)

Sound Quality: The most important part. Right off the bat when I first got these IEMs and plugged them in for a first impression, I felt that the bass was too much and the sound was congested. So I let them burn in for about 50 hours (I almost return my TF10 after a horrible first impression but let them burn in and now I love them) and here is my actual opinion:

Starting with the low end, which is definitely the most impressive part of these IEMs, the bass is the first thing any listener would notice. Both boomy and punchy, the bass has great quality and even greater quantity. The sub-bass is also superb, very likely the best on any sub-$100 IEMs that I’ve ever heard. As a person who used to be a bit of a basshead, the low end is definitely enough to bring a smile to the faces of bass lovers. However, for people seeking more balance, many will find the bass to be a bit too much. Personally, the bass is just a bit too much and does bleed into the mids a bit and overshadows the rest of the sound range as well. The bass is relatively fast as well but could be a little tighter (however, the fact that the bass isn’t as tight as it could be contributes to the fun factor that these IEMs bring)

The mids are very respectable as well. Vocals sound very natural and warm but tend to be a bit overshadowed by the low end as previously mentioned. While not quite that lively or sparkly, vocals do manage to sound relatively full and smooth. Vocals with piano or acoustic instruments actually have a very intimate sound, bringing the listener right up front to the sound.
The highs are definitely possibly the least competent mainly because they are eclipse by the massive low end. However, when listening to songs that don’t have as much bass present, the highs tdo come out quite nicely. The highs are crisp but lack the sparkle that some other more balanced IEMs might have.

I wish the soundstage were a bit wider as it is pretty average. At first they sounded a bit congested, especially since I’m used to listening to my TF10s but after spending 2 weeks with them, I am learning to appreciate this pair of IEMs more. I catch myself bobbing my head to the beat often. Vocals sound warm and sweet and the bass impact is fantastic for pop, house, electric, and dubstep. I have to note that there is moderate driver flex with some of the tips included.

Overall, the POPO IEMs present themselves as a pair of IEMs with great fun factor. With a very natural, warm, and intimate sound, I must admit they are not for everyone, especially those who are lovers of analytical sound. But for those who like the kick from the low end, these IEMs are a fantastic bargain and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with them. EQing can help those looking (8/10)

Value:  These IEMs can presently be found for $59.99 on eBay. Four years ago, I bought a pair of Sony’s extra bass IEMs for $40. There is absolutely no competition. The POPO IEMs blow away the Sony’s in every aspect and the extra $20 is easily justifiable. With a killer low end, warm and smooth mids, and crisp highs, these IEMs provide fantastic sound and fun for the price they ask for. For the audience they are targeting, Hisoundaudio definitely got it right! (8.5/10)

Thanks again to Hisoundaudio for the opportunity to review these IEMs!

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the review, did you find the shirt clip to help much with the microphonics?

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Nice, well thought-out review. Thank you. May I ask what sources you paired them with?

Thank you. I used Dell Studio XPS 1647 Laptop --> Fiio E10 --> Hisoundaudio POPO
I also spent a lot of time with it straight out my Zune HD.
It really doesn't benefit too much from amping.

Quote:
Thanks for the review, did you find the shirt clip to help much with the microphonics?

Depending on how you clip it, it can help a bit. I prefer not to use shirt clips though and microphonics really aren't too bad in general

Users who are viewing this thread

Back