[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #706 of 781
I've been very careful since getting them back -- have not pulled on the cables a single time. 
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #707 of 781
I've been very careful since getting them back -- have not pulled on the cables a single time. :frowning2:

Ok sure.......I was just sayin the weak points are those....I have jlab J6,bwavz M5 etc which are small shells and weak strain reliefs.....btw,sorry to hear it again failing on the same spit with ur replacement pr......

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #708 of 781
I am wondering if many are having issue with one or both channels failing due to a failure in the wiring near or in the plug. I have gone through three pairs in 10 months, which the shop was happy to send back to hifiman for me(3 weeks each time), but I am facing that when my warranty expires, so will the replacing. $100 is great for a good sounding iem, but $100/ year is not.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #709 of 781
I have been eyeing these Iem's a lot as it seems they mentioned in almost every review as a reference point with very good reviews for sound.

Is the quality that bad because for every great review there is a post regarding it's durability. The most alarming part is that is doesn't seem to matter how gentle people are using them for them to malfunction in some way.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #710 of 781
They sound fine, once burned in. However, I can confirm they are not durable. I bought a pair and after the third time having them exchanged or repaired, I gave them to a friend. I told him they sound great, but don't expect them to last beyond a few months. The issue with all mine was the plug. A less serious issue was the cord insulation came un raveled.

At least, i lived near the shop, so they replaced them. Once they sent them in to Hifiman, they would repair them, or perhaps they replaced them. But as soon as the warranty was out, I gave them away. Better to have a friend enjoy them than to witness their death.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #711 of 781
I should mention, I have not had the same issue with the re600. But I also rarely use them. The wire at the cord issue might be common with many lower tier IEMs. I bought some se846 and treat them very roughly, but still on the original cable(comes with and extra). Then again, you can buy quiet a few se400 for that price. Never had one regret buying them, though. Enjoy them more than any of my full sized headphones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #712 of 781
They sound fine, once burned in. However, I can confirm they are not durable. I bought a pair and after the third time having them exchanged or repaired, I gave them to a friend. I told him they sound great, but don't expect them to last beyond a few months. The issue with all mine was the plug. A less serious issue was the cord insulation came un raveled.

At least, i lived near the shop, so they replaced them. Once they sent them in to Hifiman, they would repair them, or perhaps they replaced them. But as soon as the warranty was out, I gave them away. Better to have a friend enjoy them than to witness their death.

Sounds frustrating, I would not do well with having to continually send an iem back only to have the warranty run out and be out of luck. Thanks for the reply.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #713 of 781
I wonder if many others have this issue. The shop owner where
I bought them told me the day I got them it would happen. He said he has had hundreds come back, so pushes people towards the 600 or other brand if that is out of their budget. He is probably one of hifiman's larger dealers and is obviously frustrated with them. He has a similar high return rate with the 901 player. He actually convinced me to look at another player due to its reliability. I thought the 901 sounded great, but it did have some serious UI issues that were not corrected while I had it. I think Hifiman has grown rather quickly and the owner loves music, loves the devices, but is not able to manage the operation well. Hard to find loyal, longterm management in China. Everyone jumps to whoever is paying the most, or will simply quit during New Years to take a trip home. Very high labor turnover, too. So managing quality is a tricky business there. And Kunshan/Wuxi area are filled with hi tech companies, so a lot of choices of where to work.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #714 of 781
Guys, just a heads up. The authorized seller of Hifiman here in india, just updated a facebook status saying that re-400's are going to be discontinued by hifiman and no new lots will be shipped anymore. I dont know why Hifiman are doing this, but i guess may be there's a new version up for launch... just a spec..

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #715 of 781
Guys, just a heads up. The authorized seller of Hifiman here in india, just updated a facebook status saying that re-400's are going to be discontinued by hifiman and no new lots will be shipped anymore. I dont know why Hifiman are doing this, but i guess may be there's a new version up for launch... just a spec..

I think it says "HE400" not RE400

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #716 of 781
oops My bad.. yep.. :D

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #717 of 781

You gave us a hear-attack with that single letter slip.....
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #718 of 781
Apr 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #719 of 781

You gave us a hear-attack with that single letter slip.....
frown.gif

Honestly speaking, i myself got a heart attack when i first read it.. :| thank god i misread it :D

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #720 of 781

Haha. I thought HiFinage had messed up.
tongue.gif

PS: I hope you know about the upcoming RE1000  ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/748332/new-hifiman-flagship-together-with-unique-melody-re1000 )

Wow that's amazing news!! but $650..? totally out of my reach... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back