REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Apr 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #857 of 1,534

Quote:
I feel I might be a bit redundant, but would this be for both the HM-801 and HM601?

No, the problem was solved on the 801 by introducing the customer replaceable Game Amp Card which was a low impedance output amplifier card, with a gain of .9 instead of 1.6 that was made just for IEM's. It works like a charm. The 601 doesn't have such an offering, but the HM-602 has a gain switch which serves as the same purchase.                                            

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #858 of 1,534
the 601 has a gain switch as well.

Quote:

No, the problem was solved on the 801 by introducing the customer replaceable Game Amp Card which was a low impedance output amplifier card, with a gain of .9 instead of 1.6 that was made just for IEM's. It works like a charm. The 601 doesn't have such an offering, but the HM-602 has a gain switch which serves as the same purchase.                                            

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #859 of 1,534
Does anyone else have a problem where new folders that are added aren't displayed in alphabetical order but just added to the end of the list? For the most part my folders are listed alphabetically but the last few albums I've added are not correctly listed and appear at the end after 'Z'. This is all on sd card and browsing with the sd card option if that makes a difference.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #860 of 1,534
Quote:
Does anyone else have a problem where new folders that are added aren't displayed in alphabetical order but just added to the end of the list? For the most part my folders are listed alphabetically but the last few albums I've added are not correctly listed and appear at the end after 'Z'. This is all on sd card and browsing with the sd card option if that makes a difference.

Sorry, but that's how it is ...
As I understand it, the folders aren't listed in alphabetical order, but in the order you copied them to the card.
This might be cured with a firmware upgrade sometime I guess, but for now this is how it works.
Of course - in the Album / Artist search function it is and should be alphabetical.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #861 of 1,534
More or less.

My HM-601, even at lower gain, it is still too powerful for my Westone 3. And this is the only IEM I can hear the background hiss (hum) of the HM-601. I dont had this same problem with my Shure SE530.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
..., but the HM-602 has a gain switch which serves as the same purchase.                                            

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #862 of 1,534

Quote:

It sorts them by date modified. there is a program you can download that will sort them..but I forget the name of it. I know thats not much help but its all I can remember ;o

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #863 of 1,534
there is definitely at least 3 bees inside my HM601, maybe a wasp as well, but it takes my westone es5 to find them.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #864 of 1,534
there is definitely at least 3 bees inside my HM601, maybe a wasp as well, but it takes my westone es5 to find them.

Literally laughing out loud! :p

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #866 of 1,534
I bought  a cf adapter, silver wire and was ready to get Imod until I read that Ipod always sounds compressed in soundstage, and will never quite sound as dynamic as HIfiman.  So my ipod is just sitting there.  Honestly there is only so much you can improve the ipod, plus you need to buy ipod specific LOD and must buy amp.  Its a lot of money, a lot more hassle and a lot more bulk, for in the end equal but different sonics.  If you really love your treble extension then HM601 probably wont be for you, but personally I feel the compromise is worth it for the improved dynamics and soundstage and portablility and price difference and less hassle.  But if you must have that extra treble extension I might recommend getting Jonathan Lee (joneeboi@gmail.com, hes on head-fi also) to do a DIYmod for you - he can do internal caps if you have CF card and adapter and the results will probably be indistinguishable or vanishingly small anyway, and CF has many advantages.  Oh and kiss your savings goodbye 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #867 of 1,534

Quote:
I bought  a cf adapter, silver wire and was ready to get Imod until I read that Ipod always sounds compressed in soundstage, and will never quite sound as dynamic as HIfiman.  So my ipod is just sitting there.  Honestly there is only so much you can improve the ipod, plus you need to buy ipod specific LOD and must buy amp.  Its a lot of money, a lot more hassle and a lot more bulk, for in the end equal but different sonics.  If you really love your treble extension then HM601 probably wont be for you, but personally I feel the compromise is worth it for the improved dynamics and soundstage and portablility and price difference and less hassle.  But if you must have that extra treble extension I might recommend getting Jonathan Lee (joneeboi@gmail.com, hes on head-fi also) to do a DIYmod for you - he can do internal caps if you have CF card and adapter and the results will probably be indistinguishable or vanishingly small anyway, and CF has many advantages.  Oh and kiss your savings goodbye 
tongue_smile.gif

i would be able to do the diyMod myself :p also,wouldn't it work if the dock connector is made connected to a 3.5mm ending?

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #868 of 1,534

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification guys. And is there really that much hiss on the HM601? How bout on the HM602 or 801? Any background hiss there?

I hear a little bit of hiss. I used full size headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900's). I listen to a wide variety of music including classical and the hiss isn't to bad.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #869 of 1,534

Quote:

I've been having that problem as well as when I put all the songs for an artist in the same folder, the 601 separates them sometimes.

May 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #870 of 1,534
Hello gentlemen, I live in France and just received my HM-601.

sorry to break the good feelings, but i am completely disappointed:. I had a creative zen vision M and just bought a cowon J3 to my wife 3 weeks ago.

when i listened to this J3 with my shure se535 or the grado SR80, i fell in love and decided to buy something better than the creative, more on the hi-fi way. I found the cowon was very smooth (added to the possibility to listen to flac files).
After having visited all the forums on earth
biggrin.gif
, I decided to buy this hifiman, being sure that i would buy something incredible and fabulous to hear.

I feel as i am listening to my creative, this sound is too much clear, too much agressive. Having a tube amp in my living room (replaced by an old Krell KSA-80 (class A)), I don't agree with the fact that this hifiman is as sweet as a tube amp. I would compare its sound to the sound of a transistor amplifier like Vincent Audio for example , energetic, crystal clear with  agressive mid/highs. Moreover, if i push slightly on the switch (low gain/high gain) being on low gain, the sound on the left side disappears a little bit.
I expected at least to be close to the sound of my Krell (relatively speeking of course) , at least better than my wife's Cowon J3, but I am really disappointed. 

I am totally disappointed and for me there is no need to concede on the fact we don't have the ergonomy and the flexibility of the cowon if the sound is like this. I should have bought another cowon.
angry_face.gif

What do you advise me ?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back