REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #407 of 1,534
USB driver is inside the Device Manager in your control panel (should be under System and Maintenance). Open the device manager up before you connect the 601 in (since you only get 10 seconds to do it). Plug in the HM601 and the driver should appear under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, as Mass Storage Class Device, double click, choose the Driver tab and select uninstall. Once the uninstall is done, disconnect the device, restart, then plug it back and Windows will try to install the driver back automatically. Wait for it to be done.

Also, do remember to remove your SD card from HM601 before trying anything.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #408 of 1,534

I get artist name and track title, and album as well.
Quote:
I have a question to those who have their tags set up properly. Do you have the track title and the artist name? I usually just get the file name and extension so wondering if that was normal or not. Usually this wouldn't be an issue but I've recently discovered that I could shuffle all my songs and just about all are just the file name and extension and I'd prefer the title and artist and want to know if that's possible.

That explains why I haven't been able to connect USB to my Windows 7 machine!  I'll give that a try, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Probably is Win7 issue. When I first got my HM602, I have the same problem on Vista, so I uninstall the USB driver and let the system reinstall it automatically, since then everything works fine. Also, you might want to try different USB port and cable, just to be sure.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #410 of 1,534
I guess either my tags are messed up or the 601 doesn't properly read my card. I usually just get the file name. It wouldn't be too bad but rather have the basics when going through all my songs.

I've tried various programs and none of them seem to allow me to show the tags properly. I've put them all to just the artist, title and album and it still just shows the file name.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #411 of 1,534
Dec 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #412 of 1,534
I have win7 64 bit and zero issues w/ my 602 connecting.  Not one incident.  I think some of you might be using underpowered or poorly spec'd usb ports w/ your respective mobos.  Just a hypothesis.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #415 of 1,534

Quote:
No issues with Ubuntu 10.10 either

What do you use to edit the tags? I'm thinking it's either my sdhc card although they don't show up properly in the internal memory either so I'm guessing it might be what I'm using or I'm updating the wrong tag version. I think I'll see my options in windows and see if it works better.

edit: I've changed it to id3 v1 tags and I think it works now. It reads the artist name, song name, album name and the file name as well as the SD card on top so I;m assuming that is normal.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #416 of 1,534
I have no problems connecting my 601 on Win7 x64 either, but I don't have a card for it yet if that's what causes some trouble.  Amazon is being slow as hell shipping it out.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #417 of 1,534

Thanks ClieOS it works now!
You're a great help.

Cheers and have a good new years

Quote:
USB driver is inside the Device Manager in your control panel (should be under System and Maintenance). Open the device manager up before you connect the 601 in (since you only get 10 seconds to do it). Plug in the HM601 and the driver should appear under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, as Mass Storage Class Device, double click, choose the Driver tab and select uninstall. Once the uninstall is done, disconnect the device, restart, then plug it back and Windows will try to install the driver back automatically. Wait for it to be done.

Also, do remember to remove your SD card from HM601 before trying anything.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #418 of 1,534
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #419 of 1,534

Quote:
What do you use to edit the tags

All the tags are set either with EAC when the music is ripped (one reason why I keep a Windows PC around) or FOOBAR2000 (running on XP, or on Linux using Wine). I've set up a separate library for the files to go on the 601, some albums are combined into single files (where gapless is important) and all are replay-gain adjusted. All music is sorted into a folder structure of Artist/Album (Album could be a folder or a merged file). My plan is to format and re-write the SD card every time I change any music, that way the order the artists are displayed should remain alphabetical. I find it easier to rely on folder navigation than using the tags, but like to have the tags correct anyway.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #420 of 1,534
Thanks. I was thinking you were editing them under ubuntu 10.10 so was wondering but I figured it out later that day. I changed my tags to v3.1 instead of the 3.2 or whatever the tags were at and I took everything out except for the artist name, song name and album and now it works perfectly. That separate library sounds like a good idea. I do like my folders to be in order and it would be annoying to redo all the tags so I'm going to keep a backup somewhere.

I was using the 601 today with my Livewire Trips and a silver cable (however don't know if that makes a difference but that's another topic) and I can't imagine portable audio sounding any better than what it did today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back