REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,321 of 1,534
I think I've found a solution for my specific problem: getting a mess 'o wav files to load into the 601 LE in a sequence that resembles the explicit ordered file names. I've no mp3 tags and no cue sheets for most of my albums, and the 601 was just shooting them into memory in some unfathomable order.

Somebody a few pages back suggested that *random-order sufferers* try a small desktop application that would reorder the FAT tables by long or short dos names. **I tried to use this application on folders of songs already on the 601, and nothing changed.**

However, after reading some webfo about the eccentricities of dos naming conventions and algorithms, I tried another FAT reordering application. This one works. The key point may be that the files you want to be 'logically' ordered by file name need to be app-sorted while they're still on your computer --> and THEN copied over to the 601. I use discrete folders for albums and mixes anyway.

This suggests that the earlier mentioned application (can't seem to find the name now) may also work just as well, if you sort the files before you transfer them.  Or not.

But this one -- FAT Sorter 1.0.4 [http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour] -- is free and, so far, working. Knock on wood.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,322 of 1,534
I think I've found a solution for my specific problem: getting a mess 'o wav files to load into the 601 LE in a sequence that resembles the explicit ordered file names. I've no mp3 tags and no cue sheets for most of my albums, and the 601 was just shooting them into memory in some unfathomable order.

Somebody a few pages back suggested that *random-order sufferers* try a small desktop application that would reorder the FAT tables by long or short dos names. **I tried to use this application on folders of songs already on the 601, and nothing changed.**

However, after reading some webfo about the eccentricities of dos naming conventions and algorithms, I tried another FAT reordering application. This one works. The key point may be that the files you want to be 'logically' ordered by file name need to be app-sorted while they're still on your computer --> and THEN copied over to the 601. I use discrete folders for albums and mixes anyway.

This suggests that the earlier mentioned application (can't seem to find the name now) may also work just as well, if you sort the files before you transfer them.  Or not.

But this one -- FAT Sorter 1.0.4 [http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour] -- is free and, so far, working. Knock on wood.
that's awesome.. Hope it works :)

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,323 of 1,534
Got my new second hand lol 601 the other day and paired with my 4ai's it sounds incredible.. A real upgrade from my ipod classic 7th Gen or my ipod 5,5 video.. And just think.. It's the same price to buy brand new as the apple brands.. I'm not really trying to bash apple but why can't apple make something that sounds this good.. Even if it coat more then the classic or the touch or whatever.. They would have a real winner if they would make something that sounds as good as the 601 slim.. And the 601 is just entry level.. Now I have to save for the 801 or the 901 most definitely.. I love hifiman.. They really get it.. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,324 of 1,534
HM-801 output sockets died on me yesterday, so dug out the old 601, paired
with an Epiphany 02 and ES10s it gives a great sound.
Ignoring the headphones, the value of 601/O2 combo is quite incredible. 

I'd love to see that combo compared to other £250/£300 DAPs

FIIO and Ibasso please send me DAPs for comparison! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #1,325 of 1,534
HM-801 output sockets died on me yesterday, so dug out the old 601, paired
with an Epiphany 02 and ES10s it gives a great sound.
Ignoring the headphones, the value of 601/O2 combo is quite incredible. 

I'd love to see that combo compared to other £250/£300 DAPs

FIIO and Ibasso please send me DAPs for comparison! :bigsmile_face: .
yes I love my 601 slim. It's not the most detailed unit..as although my ipod 7th gen classic doesn't sound as good but it's more detailed..the 601 Is more musical in every way. I have my ipod hooked with my continental v3 headphone amp and it sounds really good. Actually almost as good as my 601 but more analytical. Witch I actually like to hear more detail..but the 601 has a more sweet musical signature to it..and paired with the rite iem they sound amazing. Imo and for the price you really can't beat it..except for built quilty which I think could be a little better.. It's a great dap..

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,326 of 1,534
Awhile back I Rockboxed my 601 and got way overwhelmed with the EQ settings and I basically had it sounding like garbage compared to the way it sounded like stock.  Does anyone have any tips or settings for the EQ to go along with my HE-400 headphones?

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,327 of 1,534
Please help me. I am very confused. I have RE0 and IM50 and need a new dap to pair with these iems. Which one would be the best for pairing with Hm-601 or Hm-601le? 

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #1,329 of 1,534
Battery in HM-601 (the fat 2GB version) is dying. It has become a desktop device rather than a portable device. The charge is hardly holding on for 30 mins. Anyone else have similar problem? I am wondering how to replace the battery
triportsad.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,330 of 1,534
  Battery in HM-601 (the fat 2GB version) is dying. It has become a desktop device rather than a portable device. The charge is hardly holding on for 30 mins. Anyone else have similar problem? I am wondering how to replace the battery
triportsad.gif

You have to send it to Hifiman costumer service for battery replacement.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,331 of 1,534
Can anybody here confirm if the 601 is a good match/combo with the Yuin OK1? I am not an IEM person so I'm wondering if there's still more that I could get with the Yuins+601 compared to J3+OK1. At 150 ohm, I think I have yet to get the most out of the OK1, right? Btw, I am using it ampless and have no plan of amping it with the 601. It just adds to the bulk.

If the answer to the first question is YES, then which one is suggested that I should get, 601Slim or 601LE? Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,332 of 1,534
I had the PK1 and HM601 at one time and recall it sounded great in high gain only.  Between the two, choose the 601LE, or get the HM603 that I just saw on ebay for around the same price with more output power and a USB DAC.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,333 of 1,534
Thanks alpha421. I was searching about the 603 all this time but could not find in the head-direct or hifiman site. Well, sorry but I'm not interested with the 603 than the 601. Not so many reviews out there. Based on pure sq, how does the LE differ from the slim as to sound signature? I believe the OK1 is a bit trebly so Im guessing synergy will be good with a warm player. As of the moment, I use the J3 eq to smoothen the highs a bit which is quite effective. The cowon eq is very good btw. With the 601, I don't think I still have to do this, is that correct? Im simply curious of the positive reviews of this DAP that I could almost ignore the negative ones. Although other reviews are on the extreme side, I still hope that this DAP would play very well with the OK1. For those who have any experience with this combo, appreciate your inputs. If you have paired the OK1 with another DAP that sounded so amazing, pls let me know also. This thread has been idle for a while so I wonder if there are owners out there who are still enjoying their 601 well. I have been away from head-fi for quite a while so Im trying to catch up. Hope anyone could help me decide. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,334 of 1,534
I didn't own the OK1 at the same time I owned a Hifiman DAP, just the PK1.  Yes, I agree the latter is warmer than the former, where the biggest strength with the PK1 is the lowend and conversely the high end with the OK1. All Hifiman DAPS (owned all accept for the HM802/HM901) has treble roll off due to their warm sound signature, so I any of the HM601/602/603/801 should synergize very, very well with your OK1

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,335 of 1,534
noted on your point and thanks but have you heard the J3? If yes, what's your take compared to 601? Is the 601 miles ahead of the J3 and that worthy of an upgrade? I can live with the J3 for now as I have other priorities but if the 601 is in another league compared to the cowon, then maybe I'll grab one especially at the price. This is off topic but how about the X3? How does it compare to the Hifiman? Is it 601 > X3 > J3? Or any other sequence? This is of course considering the OK1 as combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back