Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Feb 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 259

Quote:
Seriously LOL. Have you heard a HE-90? I can assure you that almost no one on head-fi would agree that any of the "new headphone systems" such as the LCD-2s or HE-6 come close to beating it. In my experience, the only headphones that can perhaps even compete with the HE-90s are the 009s and LCD-3s. If you want more opinions, just take a look at the Canjam thread, a fabulous HE-6 setup with the RSA Darkstar was still noticeably inferior to the HE-90s from the RSA A-10. Please justify your comments more before making such sweeping statements, as I'm sure that even apart from the Orpheus, many would disagree that heaphones like the R10 are inferior to the new orthos.

You're not just basing your opinions of one person's meta-thread are you?  I've heard the HE-90/Thunderbolt and I would rather have an LCD-2, HD800, or JH13 in a decent system.  And he did qualify his statement in his review by saying "Having heard them all, most quite extensively, without question I would rather have an elite headphone of today, than an elite headphone of the past."

Nice review Iron_Dreamer.  I seem to remember you sold your L3000's when you got your JH13's - do you plan on keeping the HE-6/EF6 combo (does it do something that your JH13 cant?)

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 259

Quote:
Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof

[size=12.0pt]Imaging is a strength of the HE-6, and it performs with the best headphones I’ve heard in this regard.  It is most fruitfully put to use when listening to multi-channel material through a Smyth Realizer.  Whether multi-channel SACD’s or the lossless audio tracks from the latest Blu-Rays, the combination of the HE-6, EF-6, and Realizer creates an amazing virtual surround sound experience.  The depth of the soundfield is quite remarkable, just close your eyes, and you can almost reach out and touch the speakers, across the virtual listening room.[/size]

The Impact of Pads

[size=12.0pt]The choice of pads will be a question of preference, but fortunately Hifiman provides both options for your experimentation.  The factory installed pleather pads provide a slightly warmer sound with a bit more presence in the low- to mid- bass, and slightly less treble energy.  The soundstage presentation is a bit less wide left to right, but no less deep nor well-imaged.  The velour pads, supplied with the HE-6’s accessories, imbue a slightly leaner tonal balance with a wider soundfield left-to-right.  Or, put another way, if the HE-6 with velour pads is a front-row listening experience, the HE-6 with pleather pads is a few rows back.[/size]

[size=12pt]In general, I prefer the sound of the HE-6 in conjunction with the velour pads, even if it is somewhat less forgiving of substandard recordings.  It should be emphasized that changing the pads does not drastically alter the overall sound of the HE-6, and characteristics like supremely fast, tight bass and wonderful layering and instrument separ[/size][size=12.0pt]ation remain hallmarks.  The pads should provide a useful tweak, allowing the user to minutely tailor the sound signature to their own preferences. [/size]

I also agree the HE6 with the Realiser and a great PRIR is quite amazing for MCH, and it is how you describe it. .

My preference is also the velor pads (original).

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 259

Quote:
I also agree the HE6 with the Realiser and a great PRIR is quite amazing for MCH, and it is how you describe it. .

My preference is also the velor pads (original).

x2. The leather ones are surprisingly good, but velour's just that bit better.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 259
nice read. do you by chance know the input and output impedance of the ef6 amp? thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 259
Seriously LOL. Have you heard a HE-90? I can assure you that almost no one on head-fi would agree that any of the "new headphone systems" such as the LCD-2s or HE-6 come close to beating it. In my experience, the only headphones that can perhaps even compete with the HE-90s are the 009s and LCD-3s. If you want more opinions, just take a look at the Canjam thread, a fabulous HE-6 setup with the RSA Darkstar was still noticeably inferior to the HE-90s from the RSA A-10. Please justify your comments more before making such sweeping statements, as I'm sure that even apart from the Orpheus, many would disagree that heaphones like the R10 are inferior to the new orthos.

This ^

I haven't heard the R10s, but the HE90 is the true pinnacle of headphone sound from what I've experienced. On the same source (different amp of course) I heard the LCD3 and HE-6 and both were excellent as well, but the HE90 was just the top shelf. Feel free to take cracks at Ray's amps all you like. Seems the popular thing to do these days. I walked up to his table with no expectations or bias and thought all of his gear sounded very good.

The EF6 + HE6 at the Hifiman booth was weak and boring. Had some kind of edge to it that I didn't care for either.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 259
You're not just basing your opinions of one person's meta-thread are you?  I've heard the HE-90/Thunderbolt and I would rather have an LCD-2, HD800, or JH13 in a decent system.  And he did qualify his statement in his review by saying "Having heard them all, most quite extensively, without question I would rather have an elite headphone of today, than an elite headphone of the past."

Nice review Iron_Dreamer.  I seem to remember you sold your L3000's when you got your JH13's - do you plan on keeping the HE-6/EF6 combo (does it do something that your JH13 cant?)

I've got to wonder about some people. LCD2 over HE90? Really? Noticeably dark vs slightly warm? The speed and detail isn't close either, imo. Your impressions are just as valid as mine, it just knocks me for a loop. Enjoy what you use.

@ Iron Dreamer

I do agree with your point that the old elite was more difficult to match with gear and music than the new elite. That point is easy to hear, though the HE90 in particular sounded great with all the tracks I used, from drum and bass to acoustic folk to orchestral and metal.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 259
Hi Guys,

Should be fun in 9 days...@n3rdling is bringing "full Orpheus" (HE90 phones/amp) and Dr. Fang (@Nankai) is sending EF-6/HE-6.

Love to hear what you hear at the Bay Area Meet on the 11th.

bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #25 of 259
Isn't the Orpheus amp supposed to under perform compared to leading stat designs?

Looking forward to impressions comparing the two from your meet.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #27 of 259
Quote:

OP doesn't need to justify anything. It is his review, his experience, his opinions. Take it or leave it. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #28 of 259
People should understand this is original poster's opinions, no one should criticize his opinions on what he prefers.  I could argue the best headphone I have heard is the Sennheiser HD650 and I am sure everyone going to suggest something like LCD2, HE-6 and etc..

Back to topic, nice review Iron_Dreamer

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #29 of 259
Quote:
I've got to wonder about some people. LCD2 over HE90? Really? Noticeably dark vs slightly warm? The speed and detail isn't close either, imo. Your impressions are just as valid as mine, it just knocks me for a loop. Enjoy what you use.
@ Iron Dreamer
I do agree with your point that the old elite was more difficult to match with gear and music than the new elite. That point is easy to hear, though the HE90 in particular sounded great with all the tracks I used, from drum and bass to acoustic folk to orchestral and metal.

This ^
I haven't heard the R10s, but the HE90 is the true pinnacle of headphone sound from what I've experienced. On the same source (different amp of course) I heard the LCD3 and HE-6 and both were excellent as well, but the HE90 was just the top shelf. Feel free to take cracks at Ray's amps all you like. Seems the popular thing to do these days. I walked up to his table with no expectations or bias and thought all of his gear sounded very good.
The EF6 + HE6 at the Hifiman booth was weak and boring. Had some kind of edge to it that I didn't care for either.

I prefer the LCD-2 with decent amplification to the HE90 with the thunderbolt.  It was not a LCD2>HE90 as I haven't heard it with Sennheiser's matching amp or Justin's amps.  So the jury is still out on the headphone overall.  But based on that (few hours long non-meet) audition, I would prefer any of the headphones I mentioned with a decent amp.  And remember, dydy's post was an "LOL almost no-one on head-fi."  There are more than a couple on Head-fi who prefer the current crop to the HE90.  I (so far) am one of them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #30 of 259
popcorn.gif

Hi Guys,

Should be fun in 9 days...@n3rdling is bringing "full Orpheus" (HE90 phones/amp) and Dr. Fang (@Nankai) is sending EF-6/HE-6.

Love to hear what you hear at the Bay Area Meet on the 11th.

bigsmile_face.gif

Awesome, I can't wait to have a listen at the meet!  I've been dying to hear the ef-6/he-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back