REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
May 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 140

Quote:
so if i've got LCD2 already, which out of HE6 / HE500 should I consider next?

It would be strictly personal preference. My preference would be for the HE-500 due to the sound signature balance. If you ask someone else, they might say the HE-6. Both are outstanding 'phones.

May 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 140
LFF, you really turned me on!! I can not wait to order one now.
I have LCD-2 now, could you specify the difference for these two, I kindly feel a little bit darker and less airy sound on LCD-2.
How about HE-500?

May 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 140

Quote:
LFF, you really turned me on!! I can not wait to order one now.
I have LCD-2 now, could you specify the difference for these two, I kindly feel a little bit darker and less airy sound on LCD-2.
How about HE-500?

I felt the LCD-2 sounded dark and less airy than an HE-6. The HE-500 is less bright and airy than the HE-6 but this, IMHO, makes the HE-500 much more natural sounding. The HE-500 is probably a tad airier and brighter than the LCD-2 which give the HE-500 a very euphoric sound signature and one that is extremely pleasant.

May 7, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 140
This is a good news, but I really hope hifiman could get the EF6 ready soon, I really like the airy and transparant sound, but HE-6 need a huge power amp which is a headache to me.

May 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 140
The ipod can drive the 500s. I agree with everything LFF said about the 500s. I've been living with both the 6 and 500 all this week. Left to do over again, I would take the 500s. I got the 6s and have set them up with a pair of 125w monoblocks. Comparing the two on the same amps, the 500s are fuller and more midbass pronounced in comparison. I like the more open or airy presentation with the 6s and have enough power to get to 11 when needed. But the 500s play with so many different sources that it's a no brainer.

I'm listening to "The Fairfield Four" and the 500s sound better than my full sized stats. Voices are excellent. Every lick, shuffle, vibration is there to be heard without the db that most other headphones need.

May 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 140
When on earth will these be available? I'm getting a pair the instant they come out!

Also, can anyone compare the HE-4 to the HE-500? I'm wondering what is different and better in the sound.

May 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #26 of 140

Quote:
I was so excited until I went to the site and looked at the price. You were not kidding. That said, if I had the cash,  I would jump. 

For the sound quality alone...it's worth every single penny.

May 8, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #27 of 140
HEHEHEHE and I thought your journey was over when you tried my HE-6!  
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #28 of 140

Quote:
HEHEHEHE and I thought your journey was over when you tried my HE-6!  
wink_face.gif

Almost was. It's as if my wish for a slight change with the HE-6 came true in the HE-500...a little less high end and easier to drive.

May 8, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 140

Quote:
Almost was. It's as if my wish for a slight change with the HE-6 came true in the HE-500...a little less high end and easier to drive.

Either way, glad you found something.  Hopefully there will be another meet and I can listen to your HE-500, if I haven't had the chance to by then.

And thumbs up for Fang for making such incredible products!

May 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 140
I was listening to some Elton John last night that is ok but nothing special on the other phones. With the HE-500 I was able to get better separation and transparency to the sound that truly made for a extremely enjoyable listing (correction: listening - I guess I was listing to one side at the time) experience. I had to keep stop doing what I was and just listen. I could live with just these phones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back