REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP
May 29, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #32 of 92
After weeks of thinking. I decided to buy one of these :)

WoW! Please compare it to your other PMP for us!

May 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #34 of 92
This definitely needs to be compared to the AK100/AK120 and Tera Player I reckon.

May 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #35 of 92
Quote:
This definitely needs to be compared to the AK100/AK120 and Tera Player I reckon.

I absolutely agree with that! 
size]

May 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 92
I recall him writing the MA9 is better than the AK100, and that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest given my AK100 audition, which only excelled in sound as a source, not as an all-in-one PMP.

May 30, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #38 of 92
I am really curious how the MA9 will sound. Really never listened to a portable source in this price category.

Though recently DAP-maker like Fiio, iBasso and AK invest much into firmware development, I am really looking forward installing Rockbox on this unit. Personally I do not believe that high resolution records are much better in comparison to the CD-format 16/44. The only point of high resolution is that in many or most cases that music is mastered very well and sound better because of that fact. Another topic is this recently discussed support for SACD files. The main point is of SACD is its storage format => DSD. Although it is maybe possible to put that data on to an SD-card, but you need a processor that has the DSD port to send that DATA over to a DAC with a DSD port. I do not know any ARM-processor that has DSD, most of the ARM-processors support PCM (i2s).

AAAAA, when will that DHL-man knock on my door. Hopefully this week, but probably next week.

EDIT:

It is here:

EDIT2:

This is the greatest source I have ever heard. Including the Aune T1, which is a Desktop Tube DAC. It makes any headphone I plug in sound by a great margin better. This is a sound revelation. There are songs, where I did not knew that there is a bass-guitar in the background.

The best was: I plugged in my 2$ - cheapo phones in I use for sport. At the moment I kind of was overwhelmed by the sound I got from 2$.

After that I plugged in the DT-1350. It sounded better than I knew it before and heyy there is that bass-guitar again.

The ESW9 sound so great with the MA9, never heard it like that before.

The cherry on top was the ESW11LTD. So great so great.

I am very sorry for being this informative. It is just that you can hear the bass-guitars string swinging.

I love the MA9.
atsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #39 of 92
Quote:
I am really curious how the MA9 will sound. Really never listened to a portable source in this price category.

Though recently DAP-maker like Fiio, iBasso and AK invest much into firmware development, I am really looking forward installing Rockbox on this unit. Personally I do not believe that high resolution records are much better in comparison to the CD-format 16/44. The only point of high resolution is that in many or most cases that music is mastered very well and sound better because of that fact. Another topic is this recently discussed support for SACD files. The main point is of SACD is its storage format => DSD. Although it is maybe possible to put that data on to an SD-card, but you need a processor that has the DSD port to send that DATA over to a DAC with a DSD port. I do not know any ARM-processor that has DSD, most of the ARM-processors support PCM (i2s).

AAAAA, when will that DHL-man knock on my door. Hopefully this week, but probably next week.

EDIT:

It is here:

EDIT2:

This is the greatest source I have ever heard. Including the Aune T1, which is a Desktop Tube DAC. It makes any headphone I plug in sound by a great margin better. This is a sound revelation. There are songs, where I did not knew that there is a bass-guitar in the background.

The best was: I plugged in my 2$ - cheapo phones in I use for sport. At the moment I kind of was overwhelmed by the sound I got from 2$.

After that I plugged in the DT-1350. It sounded better than I knew it before and heyy there is that bass-guitar again.

The ESW9 sound so great with the MA9, never heard it like that before.

The cherry on top was the ESW11LTD. So great so great.

I am very sorry for being this informative. It is just that you can hear the bass-guitars string swinging.

I love the MA9.
atsmile.gif

Where did you buy it from? :) have you tried Rockbox on it?

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #41 of 92
Where did you buy it from? :) have you tried Rockbox on it?

I sat down to try Rockbox the other day, but didn't have time to do the whole thing. It requires more work than most DAPs. Not impossible, but needs 30 minutes set aside to focus on it, which I didn't have at the time. Will try again soon though. 

Well, I did try, but you need to use that rockchip flashing tool and that does not work properly on win 7. Actually, there has been a firmware update, but still I cannot flash it without that specific tool.

Go to swimsonnys thread, there he stated where he bought it. That is the same place I bought it. Sadly I am not at home and cannot search it out for you from my cell phone.

There is another thing I learned about the MA9. It works as an usb-dac :)

This weekend I will sit down and try it all out and listen to a lot of music.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #42 of 92
Quote:
Well, I did try, but you need to use that rockchip flashing tool and that does not work properly on win 7. Actually, there has been a firmware update, but still I cannot flash it without that specific tool.

Go to swimsonnys thread, there he stated where he bought it. That is the same place I bought it. Sadly I am not at home and cannot search it out for you from my cell phone.

There is another thing I learned about the MA9. It works as an usb-dac
smily_headphones1.gif

This weekend I will sit down and try it all out and listen to a lot of music.

I got mine from THIS seller, who is very reliable. 

I have Win 7 as well so perhaps that will be a problem for me. Does it help to run in compatibility mode? 

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #44 of 92
Quote:

I got mine from THIS seller, who is very reliable. 

I have Win 7 as well so perhaps that will be a problem for me. Does it help to run in compatibility mode? 

That is that seller! It came in 3 days to Austria.

Compatibility mode does not work (sadly). It is about a driver, that only works with XP and Vista I believe.

Win 8 probably will not work :|

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

That is that seller! It came in 3 days to Austria.

Compatibility mode does not work (sadly). It is about a driver, that only works with XP and Vista I believe.

Win 8 probably will not work :|

Hopefully it will be fixed soon :/ I have atleast win 7 on another pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back