[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jan 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,696 of 2,011
I think most probably have the 3rd gen RE0 so you very well may be one of the few with the 1st gen RE0. I never really had issues with the build of the Hifiman line outside of their useless chin slider and that the cable retains much memory. I toyed with the idea of recabling it with a spare ES cable I have but that would be too much work.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,697 of 2,011

Quote:
Quote:
It's also a great way for the start to a bad day eventually when you find out that while you fell asleep with the RE0 they broke during the night :p However I've never had issues with their build but I wouldn't use them for sleeping.

... I wonder if I am the only person who still have a perfectly fine 1st gen. RE0?

Quote:
ahhh....back to westones

My UM2's cable has began to harden up... I guess nothing last forever.

it's crazy how the westone cable becomes...crunchy and brittle in cold weather, also, it starts having a memory like charecteristic and starts having kinks

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,698 of 2,011

Quote:
Bought a pair of these for my GF last Christmas. They died within 6 months of use. Replacement set also died within 6 months.

She uses them daily but treats them very well...at least as well as I treat my IEMs.

Will never purchase this brand again.

Yeah this has also been my experience. Would be better if they raised cost by 10 for improving the cable.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #1,699 of 2,011
Hello,

I recently bought the re0s and i would have to say that these are fantastic.

In comparison to the re1s, i would say that it is an improvement over it in pretty much everything. I paired this with a petite amplifier and i feel that the synergy is pretty much fantastic.

Anyways, these earphones are definitely cold and thin sounding earphones when compared to other earphones, especially when you switch them with another earphone. While I'm aware that there is mental burn in, these earphones are different from other earphones that i previously had in that their coldness and thinness disappears pretty quickly once you put them into your ears. You don't really notice they are cold and thin anymore. Their bass actually are very nice and in balance with the rest of the frequency and i don't find them lacking at all.

Fantastic earphones for the price:)

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,700 of 2,011
Well, my Klipsch X10's cable is finally crapping out on me, and I didn't want to spend another $250 on an earphone that will only last a couple of years, so I just ordered a pair of RE0's based on all the reviews here. I also ordered the Brainwavz M2 for comparison as well (they came free with a Nationite N2 8gb, so I figured why not?).  I figured why not try a couple for less money thn the Klipsch?

Do you think I'll be happy with these new IEM's coming off the X10's? My source is a Sony x series, and I also have a Jlabs Cmoy BB amp, and a Nuforce Udac2 for the laptop. And of course, I 'm looking forward to comparing the Nationite as well.

-Mark

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,701 of 2,011
Just got the RE0 yesterday. It's been about 12 hours burn in so far and the sound seems to have improved. There's more nuances in the music. Greater depth and see through detail. The tips seem to change the characteristics of the sound quite a bit. Started with the medium black tips and while they are easy to fit, they produced a somewhat closed and condensed sound. A bit can like so to speak. Putting the small biflange tip on gave a more open, lighter, and airy sound. The fit is more difficult to secure. Finally the large biflange gives a robust punch to the bass, while still keeping things airy and open. But with this tip the RE0 sticks out a bit more. The fit seems a bit better than the smaller biflange. I'm rotating between these three and not really finding any that works in the balance between ease of putting on, comfort, and sound quality.

For me, sound quality is mbt (medium black tip) < sbt (small biflange tip) < lbt (large biflange tip)
Comfort of wearing is lbt <= sbt < mbt
Ease of putting on for proper seal is sbt < lbt < mbt

It's really tough to sort out which tip I like to wear for my daily wear since there's such a compromise between these factors! None of them stands out in all three areas.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,702 of 2,011

Quote:
Yeah this has also been my experience. Would be better if they raised cost by 10 for improving the cable.

Maybe that's an older batch you are talking about, since these phones seem to undergo minor changes every now and then. I bought them just a few months ago and the cable looks as solid as any other earphone I have. Sure, they do not compare to the build quality of Etymotics but they are decent.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,703 of 2,011

Quote:
Do you think I'll be happy with these new IEM's coming off the X10's?

-Mark

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of sound quality you can get for a lot less money.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,704 of 2,011
Anaxilus,
I'm sure you are correct. I got my wife the phonak PFE112's and I was very impressed with them as well, although the Klipsch had an overall fuller sound. This forum has been great for me to find other options. I'll post my impressions once the RE0's and Brainwavz show up. I'm also sure that the cables have to be better than the Klipsch on any of these other IEM's. Thanks for the input! 

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,706 of 2,011
I have a pair with a slight problem.  The glue holding one earpiece together is bad.  The two halves separated on me.  I think this happened once within the first 7-10 days I owned them and I just put them back together.  It looks like just a bad glue joint.

Anyone have experience gluing IEMs back together?

I need a recommendation on a glue and cleaning method.  I don't want to ask a hardware guy, who will give me the strongest glue known to man.  I really like these IEMs and may one day need to take them apart and replace the cables.

BTW my RE0s had been ignored lately as I have been using my beater pair (Brainwavz M1s - great all around IEMs).  I pulled the REOs out and put the medium foam plugs from the BrainWavz on the REOs and they sound even better.  It really helps the bass response on the REOs IMHO.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,707 of 2,011

Quote:
I have a pair with a slight problem.  The glue holding one earpiece together is bad.  The two halves separated on me.  I think this happened once within the first 7-10 days I owned them and I just put them back together.  It looks like just a bad glue joint.

Anyone have experience gluing IEMs back together?

I need a recommendation on a glue and cleaning method.  I don't want to ask a hardware guy, who will give me the strongest glue known to man.  I really like these IEMs and may one day need to take them apart and replace the cables.

BTW my RE0s had been ignored lately as I have been using my beater pair (Brainwavz M1s - great all around IEMs).  I pulled the REOs out and put the medium foam plugs from the BrainWavz on the REOs and they sound even better.  It really helps the bass response on the REOs IMHO.

That happened to both my earpieces. I just glued them together with some kind of super "strongest glue known to man" glue and it works perfect. I'm not planning to every open them up again though.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,708 of 2,011
So I just recently got my RE0's to replace a pair of Klipsch X10's with a bad cable. I also got the Brainwavz M2 for free with the Nationite N2, which also included a lower level brainwavz earphone that looks alot like the M1 (that was a GREAT deal for $84). So I have been doing a lot of comparison listening over the past couple of weeks. My wife also has a pair of Phonak Audeo PFE 112's for me to compare to.  I'm using the Sony X series MP3 player as my primary source, but I also have a JDS labs cMoy BB amp with a direct line out of the Sony, and a nuforce uDAC2 for laptop listening.

Overall, the RE0's have become my go to IEM. The sound is so detailed with excellent mid range and treble. The only thing that I thought was lacking is the bass. It seems to be able to represent the lower frequencies, but not in great quantities. Of course, this was after most recently using the Klipsch which have strong bass, and in comparison to the M2's which I think are a little too bass heavy. Overall, I prefer the RE0's over the Klipsch however. Next in the line would be the Phonak's. They seem a little less detailed in the upper frequencies and mid range. The RE0's do benefit from amplification, but the Sony and the Nationite can drive the RE0's fine by increasing the volume level by a few numbers in comparison to other IEM's.

In general, I am really impressed with the RE0!  I feel lucky to have all these IEM's to test against each other. All of them are very good IEM's and I think it really comes down to preference, but if you really like detailed, balanced sound, the RE0 seems hard to beat. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to test them against some of the other big names like Westone, Shure, UE, etc., but i don't feel like I'm really missing anything.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #1,710 of 2,011
Do you?
My pair is two years old.  Yes, I still use them from time to time and baby them.  I keep them in a little case that came with my FX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back