[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Dec 11, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #901 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by WinstonSmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of these today, and these are my first quality IEM's so I really haven't the qualifications to make a detailed analysis. Nevertheless, I've had the opportunity to enjoy good quality audio from other sources and I like what I hear.

Have you found that the quality of sound changes significantly over the course of use? Does burning in this particular model make a difference?

I'm in the same boat as you, I've only had one pair of "quality" IEMs before these, so I don't have any qualifications other than liking what I hear. That said, burning in the RE0s made a pretty significant difference for me. I looped XTC's Oranges and Lemons when I wasn't listening to my RE0s, and every time I came back to them I noticed slight changes. Finer details coming through and the bass response definitely improved.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #902 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has any of you upgraded to re0 from soundmagic pl30?

I used ot like me PL30s a lot. Not listened to them in a while, I'll get them out and compare with my RE0s. Id guess if you like PL30 you'll like RE0.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #903 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has any of you upgraded to re0 from soundmagic pl30?
I really like the balance the pl30s have, nothing really stands out, fairly neutral and detailled with a good soundstage.
I bought JVC HA-FX500 a few months ago but sold them because I felt the bass was too much and made the already recessed mids even more recessed turning "busy" music into a muddy mess. Liked them with acoustic music though, nice timbre especially with wooden instruments.
So now I'm looking for something that would take everything I like about the pl30 to the next level with better timbre/tone (one thing I realized with the FX500 is that it made the pl30 sound "plasticky", fake) and was thinking of the re0.
Any opinions?

Yes, the RE0 is not at all unlike the PL30 in balance. The RE0 have a much more realistic timbre than the PL30, the bass not excessive, and the midrange is far from recessed. The PL30s have a slightly forward midrange though, so expect to lose a bit of that.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #904 of 2,011
After a few days of listening and breaking in (still some left to do, surely), I'm very much enjoying these. The only problem, which is a bit pronounced because I'm coming from ne8s, which are heavy on the mids, is that for a lot of the jazz I listen to I'd prefer if the mids were a little stronger. Unfortunately I have no eq'ing on my zune.

Maybe once I build a cmoy it'll bring out the mids a bit.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #905 of 2,011
I finally turned my RE0 loud (from around 55dB to around 70dB). Wow, now I'm impressed. Now I hear the super detailed treble people are talking about.

Now I have trouble turning it down. I'm afraid I'll get used to this loud volume and lose hearing.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #906 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally turned my RE0 loud (from around 55dB to around 70dB). Wow, now I'm impressed. Now I hear the super detailed treble people are talking about.

Now I have trouble turning it down. I'm afraid I'll get used to this loud volume and lose hearing.

I find the RE0 sounds quite good at a low volume. You might want to try and see if you can get used to them at a lower volume, rather than put your hearing at risk.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #907 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you running unamped right now?
Maybe running them amped would bring out the detail at lower volume levels.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #908 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the RE0 sounds quite good at a low volume. You might want to try and see if you can get used to them at a lower volume, rather than put your hearing at risk.

The thing is, now I hear the details at a lower volume because now I know it exists. But without hearing them before from a higher volume, I wouldn't notice them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by disgruntleddave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you running unamped right now?
Maybe running them amped would bring out the detail at lower volume levels.

Yep, unamped. I almost bought a E5, but then I found out that their specs are complete bogus (it is much more efficient than the spec suggests)

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #909 of 2,011
Hi guys... Around a month back or so, I was vacillating between the SE530 and UM3x, well - screw both of them (for now), I'm pulling the gun on the RE0s instead. My wallet sure can use the $300 in the process.
tongue.gif

Just a few minor questions, is the RE0 and FiiO E1 a good combo? Also, how many tips does the RE0 come with? And I have the UE box (not this one, I have the one which came with the S.fi 5 Pro), would that be large enough to store the RE0?

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #910 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by avalanche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a few minor questions, is the RE0 and FiiO E1 a good combo? Also, how many tips does the RE0 come with? And I have the UE box (not this one, I have the one which came with the S.fi 5 Pro), would that be large enough to store the RE0?

Read ClieOS's review of the E1. He paired the RE0 with it. I think the new version of the RE0 comes with 3 sets of single-flange silicone tips and a set of biflanges, but I had the old version so I can't be sure. As for the case, that's perfectly fine. The RE0 is a small IEM and fits in the smallest altoids tin for me.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #911 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the case, that's perfectly fine. The RE0 is a small IEM and fits in the smallest altoids tin for me.

I think this is second time I have posted this in this thread.
3786953623_b84f2ff402_b.jpg

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #915 of 2,011
I've only owned one IEM before. That's the Monster Turbines and I found them completely unappealing for their $100ish dollar price point (this was a while ago) They were definitly burned in for a while, the sound was alright but the comfort was not good at all for me and for the price I didn't like the sound.

Anyone know how these two compare? Would love to know, close to putting these babies on a christmas list (Can only choose one IEM. hehe) I'm looking to use them unamped, I don't like the idea of carrying along a portable amp with me everywhere. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back