[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #467 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an "Oh my God, are you ****ing kidding me" moment today when I went to listen to my RE0s. I have the exact same problem except with the right side, where the housing has split. I'd remembered reading about this problem before buying, but brushed it off as likely a fluke.

I was absolutely loving these earphones until this happened, and I'm torn over whether to immediately send them back or screw them back together and see if they fail again. Either way, this isn't good at all.

I am missing the sub-base below the 35hz that these earphones bottom out at, though I adore the flat response and the incredibly extended treble. This may be what it takes for me to return the RE0s and go for perhaps the AKG k701, though that would likely (correct me if my impressions are wrong) be more a sideways step than an upgrade. Perhaps even some q-Jays...

:'c

Yeah, it's too bad... I did send mine back for replacement on Friday though. I should get my new ones today or tomorrow, as they are only going from Queens to Brooklyn, NY.
I would send them back if I was you - screwing them back together will not be a lasting fix as I learned, so do it while you're still under warranty (30 days for refund, 1 year for replacements i believe).
I Gotta give H-D credit for making returns painless and processing the replacements so quickly.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #469 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i decided to take a day off from the denons and stock these in this morning.

you know i think these could possibly be my 2nd favourite IEM

If your 1st is the IE8, that's a huge testament to dynamic driver IEMs.

I just went back to these yesterday after about a month off and I have to agree with your sentiments - the RE0 might be my favourite IEM. They lack the mind-boggling detail of the Er-4s, but they just don't do anything wrong! Truly one of the finest.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #470 of 2,011
the re0 is definitely my favorite... recently, i had a chance to audition the w3 for almost an hr... it was a great sound but i noticed myself missing the clarity/transparency of the RE0... when it comes to IEM's, i have lost all urge to upgrade

and i know a while ago i said these need to be amped, but i take that back.. they sound just fine out of my fuze.. pretty amazing actually

im so glad i bought these.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #471 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the re0 is definitely my favorite... recently, i had a chance to audition the w3 for almost an hr... it was a great sound but i noticed myself missing the clarity/transparency of the RE0... when it comes to IEM's, i have lost all urge to upgrade

and i know a while ago i said these need to be amped, but i take that back.. they sound just fine out of my fuze.. pretty amazing actually

Agreed on the amp comment, I've failed to notice any improvement other than coloration from amping the RE0, from a fiio E5 all the way to a serious home setup tube amp.

I'm now seriously doubting the durability of these headphones now though. Don't get me wrong, I love chinese hi-fi brands such as Xindak, but I have worries about this specific product.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #472 of 2,011
that's a good way to put it.. at first i liked the e5 due to added bass, but then i realized that it just colors the re0 and takes away from it's strong point, balance/neutrality.. i've also plugged them in my wa6 for fun, sounded way too intense

in the end, i love the re0 straight out of my fuze. i find that even after listening mostly to my main, full size rig.. i still enjoy the re0 a lot.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #473 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your 1st is the IE8, that's a huge testament to dynamic driver IEMs.

I just went back to these yesterday after about a month off and I have to agree with your sentiments - the RE0 might be my favourite IEM. They lack the mind-boggling detail of the Er-4s, but they just don't do anything wrong! Truly one of the finest.

1st is not the IE8, im not a big lover of the IE8 it would be maybe 4th or 5th. (i dont really have them ranked in my head, just usually use whatever im in the mood for at the time) it is excellent at what it does but its sound sig is too much for me.

think is why im so liking the RE-0, it has such a delicate airiness about it and olives shave off that super sharp ety esq treble just enough. the detail is pretty much all there but not the same savage brutality. just really wonderful things

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #474 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Already decided RE0 as my favorite year ago, I am way ahead of you guys
tongue.gif

I find Fuze - LOD - T4 (bass boosted) - RE0 to have particular great synergy (to my taste, at least). It is slightly warmer,more bass, airier yet doesn't take away the treble as E5 does. I too audition the UM3X and W3 a while back and immediately noticed all the missing detail that I so used to hear from RE0.

This makes me wonder, what would happen to all those who take the $99 summer sale offering and find that sub-$200 IEM is no longer an upgrade years later? Oh the horror...

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #475 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already decided RE0 as my favorite year ago, I am way ahead of you guys
tongue.gif

I find Fuze - LOD - T4 (bass boosted) - RE0 to have particular great synergy (to my taste, at least). It is slightly warmer,more bass, airier yet doesn't take away the treble as E5 does. I too audition the UM3X and W3 a while back and immediately noticed all the missing detail that I so used to hear from RE0.

This makes me wonder, what would happen to all those who take the $99 summer sale offering and find that sub-$200 IEM is no longer an upgrade years later? Oh the horror...

Same exact setup as mine and it does sound terrific. Unlike the same setup with the Er4, however, I can take the LOD/amp out of the equation and still have a usable system, which is another point to the RE0.

I think head-direct single-handedly raised the bar in competitive IEM pricing this year, what with the RE0 offering the best performance in the mid-price segment and the RE2 (arguably) doing the same in the budget segment.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #476 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think head-direct single-handedly raised the bar in competitive IEM pricing this year, what with the RE0 offering the best performance in the mid-price segment and the RE2 (arguably) doing the same in the budget segment.

Not accounts for discounted items, I think Head-Direct (for the higher end market) and SoundMAGIC (for the lower end market) both set a new bar on SQ / Price standard. Of course the big companies (and most of the consumer market) probably won't notice much of any difference.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #477 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not accounts for discounted items, I think Head-Direct (for the higher end market) and SoundMAGIC (for the lower end market) both set a new bar on SQ / Price standard. Of course the big companies (and most of the consumer market) probably won't notice much of any difference.

Considering that skullcandy is, IIRC, the 2nd largest headphone manufacturer in North America, I suspect you are correct on that last point. At least the few fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to consult head-fi will be enlightened.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #478 of 2,011
A simple question: Are the cable strain reliefs coming out of the earphone body made of rubber or are those shafts metal? Hopefully they are rubber. I was a little concerned that if they were metal, the cable would eventually wear through.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #479 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A simple question: Are the cable strain reliefs coming out of the earphone body made of rubber or are those shafts metal? Hopefully they are rubber. I was a little concerned that if they were metal, the cable would eventually wear through.

Rubber and quite flexible.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #480 of 2,011
Ok, great. That makes me feel a little better.

Very tempting earphone. It probably wouldn't hiss with any player no matter how noisy the headphone output. Same goes for it's brother the RE1. Just need to decide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back