[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Aug 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #406 of 2,011
They don't really need an amp, as long as the player is powerful enough. My wimpy Sansa Clip drives them just fine, so I guess you really don't need an amp with them. They're not as difficult to drive as the hissy, bass-lacking low-impedance IEM crowd, and they're not as hard to drive as 300 Ohm Senns... so you're smack in the perfect middle...

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #407 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the topic of amps for these, which do you guy think would be a better amp. iBasso T4, Mini^3, or the CMoyBB?

The T4 adds some warmth in my setup (between the Cold D2 and the neutral RE0s). Whether this is a good thing depends on your personal preference. Can't comment on the others as I haven't finished building my mini3 yet and have no intention of getting a cmoy.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #408 of 2,011
I am not looking for amp to drive the phones, I'm looking for an amp because my Cowon D2 with the RE0 is...ummm...sterile sounding? Anyways, thanks for the info. I already have a FiiO E5 and CMoyBB. The E5 cuts a little detail and does something to the highs(I can't quite describe it), but it adds some warmth with the BB on. The CMoyBB doesn't seem to do anything with BB off, but then again I have not done much listening with it.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #409 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should've come with a little baggie which has two sets of clear biflange tips, 3 sets of black single-flange tips, a shirt clip, and 3 pairs of replacement filters. If you're sure you didn't accidentally drop it on the floor or leave it in the box or something (its under the plastic thing that holds the phones), I'd email Head-Direct; I'm sure they'll send you a new set.

Ya unfortunately they are missing from the package. I mailed head-direct@gmail.com today about the missing stuff, and got a quick reply back. A little strange though, he mailed will be mailing pair of bi-flange tips while I mentioned my package was missing the shirt clip and replacement filters as well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #410 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranz_blacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya unfortunately they are missing from the package. I mailed head-direct@gmail.com today about the missing stuff, and got a quick reply back. A little strange though, he mailed will be mailing pair of bi-flange tips while I mentioned my package was missing the shirt clip and replacement filters as well.

Yes, Fang often doesn't read e-mails all the way through in my experience. Just reply and ask him to make sure all the accessories will be included.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #411 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Fang often doesn't read e-mails all the way through in my experience. Just reply and ask him to make sure all the accessories will be included.

lol, did and he replied almost instantaneously.. ye..

i noticed the bass is not as good (comparing to my headphones), but detail put my headphones to shame.. playing with more tips will hopefully improve it, also they are so small it's a little tough to push them in like my previous super .fi 3...

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #412 of 2,011
Well, I've had my RE0s for a couple of weeks with 30+ hours of use and the sound signature is shaping up quite nicely. After an initial period in purgatory the bass has been released to a proper (if not yet overly robust) place, though it seems at least to my hearing that now the bass needs a short 15-30 minute 'probation' warm up with each new listening before fully actualizing . Or it could just be my ear adjusting to the sound signature (I believe that the ear has some capacity to adjust and compensate for varying sound signatures).

Regarding tips, of the included tips the medium silicon buds provide the best sound due to the forward placement of the nozzle head, but they get uncomfortable after a while. The small bi-flange is more comfortable, but to my ear sound inferior because the nozzle is recessed and the sound is funneled through the flange to the exit hole. The rest don't fit my ear. Tried the Comply T-400s* but they are too long and sit too forward, resulting in muzzled sound.

Finally, I decored some small Shure olives I bought for the wife (who gets my hand-me-down ER-6is), put them over the T-400 tube and they sound great. The wider T-400 tube opens the olives up for clear, unimpeded sound delivery and makes the small olives closer to medium in size, while still allowing the famous olive comfort and seal. I highly recommend this for the RE0.

* As an aside, this was my first experience with Comply tips and I was very disappointed with how destructible they are. I understand foam tips have a finite usage life, but the T-400s appear deliberately designed to assure a short life and require frequent replacement. It would be nice if someone would aftermarket tips comparable to the olives for larger nozzle IEMs.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #413 of 2,011
anyone try with q-jay or v-moda tips? im using them with v-moda tips and these fit best for me. the black tips with the black re0 looks slick

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #414 of 2,011
Did Head Direct jack up the shipping fee ($5) for RE0 on ebay?
I thought it used to be free shipping....

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #415 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did Head Direct jack up the shipping fee ($5) for RE0 on ebay?
I thought it used to be free shipping....

Looks like it. I bought them last week with FS. It may be a response to the bing cashback hike to 14% (when I ordered, it was 10%)

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #416 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshf52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like it. I bought them last week with FS. It may be a response to the bing cashback hike to 14% (when I ordered, it was 10%)

Dang it. I was holding out when it was free shipping and cashback at 12%. I guess I shouldn't have waited....

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #417 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang it. I was holding out when it was free shipping and cashback at 12%. I guess I shouldn't have waited....

Yeah 12% and the FS looks like the peak deal for these. I guess I can't really complain about not getting them for $2 cheaper.

My amateur impressions:

I got mine last week and right out the box, they sounded good but I was actually more impressed with the value of my PL30s for $20 than I was with these for $100. I burned them in for 15-20 hours or so and took another go, and wow, now I was really impressed! So much detail - my music became even more exciting! I could hear so much more going on with much better separation of the instruments and vocals. (it was Dave Matthews Band - Halloween that first randomly came on my playlist that made me go WOW) Everything was crystal clear - the highs were high and not going shrill like my PL30s would, the mids are outstanding and the bass is punchy though not amazing. I had to heavily EQ the lows - bass is punchier than my PL30, but not as full.
I use the included black medium tips, though I like the small clear biflanges as well. The black mediums have a small edge on giving me a better seal though.

It is very important to be listening to high bitrate MP3s or lossless though with these (I love v0 for quality vs size). They WILL show any flaws in your files. Had a few files at 128 and they sounded pretty terrible.

I am not much of an audiophile so I don't really know how to properly explain my thoughts, but hopefully you understand
smily_headphones1.gif

Great deal at $100

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #418 of 2,011
hey all,
I'm a newbie on these forums, but have been lurking around for a while now.

I've been on the lookout for a reasonable replacement for UE super.fi 3 IEMs, and have been considering the RE-0s.
But before I go around asking you guys which IEM is the best, I have a very basic query:
What sorta sound signature should I be looking for if my music preferences are primarily classic rock and rock n roll; stuff like Queen, Floyd, Clapton, Morrison, Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, mostly 60-70's, guitar-centric rock music(not exactly heavy metal)?
The thing is I'm a noob when it comes to differentiating my mids from my highs and my lows..!! Hence such a basic query..!!
Is bass important for me?

Also, how would the sound signature change if I my music preferences were to change to Trance/Techno kinda music?

appreciate your responses people
cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #419 of 2,011
Your music preferences are a bit like mine (Queen, Gary Moore, Europe, classic/symphonic rock to name some). I really like the RE0, especially with some EQ tuning to enhance the lows a bit.
Trance/Techno requires more bass, I don't think the RE0 is the best to enjoy that kind of music. Although it's not too bad, sometimes I listen some Dance/trance too.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #420 of 2,011
@maniac
thanks for the response mate.
When you talk about the lows, you mean bass right? Lows refer to the sound of bass guitar or drums?
Also, hows the sound quality when it comes to vocals and the guitar solos compared to other phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back