[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Aug 27, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #451 of 2,011

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,277
Likes
9,905
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opentoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are tons of headphones available in the US just like these, don't need to order from China. Lots of people get caught up that when ordering from overseas they are getting a 'special' product. There are plenty of products readily available that can be at your doorstep in 24 hours.


You probably don't know chicaman lives in Malaysia. Anyway, Head-Direct is an American company located in NY. Their factory, where chicaman sent his RE0 for replacement, is located in China. In fact, some members at Erji.net (Chinese equivalence of Head-fi) have complained about the difficulty of acquiring Head-Direct's products since the company doesn't have any active sale channel in China.

UE, Shure, Westone are just a few American companies that manufacture some of their 'tons of headphones' in China.
wink.gif
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #452 of 2,011

chicaman

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Posts
62
Likes
10
Yeah, well I guess delay is probably due to the wrong routing.

But once they received the faulty RE0, they send it back to me immediately and i receive it in just a few days.

Anyone know where to get the cheapest Fiio E5 possible? Since there are so many people saying it helped to boost the bass, I would like to try it too myself :p
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #453 of 2,011

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Posts
1,090
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where to get the cheapest Fiio E5 possible? Since there are so many people saying it helped to boost the bass, I would like to try it too myself :p


I got mine from this seller queeniehyw from ebay. I took advantange of the AUD-->USD exchange rate at the time, and also bing.com cashback (for US anyway). It was shipped very fast from HongKong.
The bass boost is subtle, though noticeable.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #454 of 2,011

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Posts
10,274
Likes
972
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where to get the cheapest Fiio E5 possible? Since there are so many people saying it helped to boost the bass, I would like to try it too myself :p


Dealextreme used to be the cheapest at about $18 new. Dono if they still are.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #456 of 2,011

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Posts
2,004
Likes
272
No matter what the source, the E5 will give a modest little bass boost, using the boost switch. Someone has also discovered that the bass boost switch actually has a "middle" position that you can carefully move the switch to, and it gives another full spectrum boost in volume.
 
Aug 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #457 of 2,011

joshf52

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Posts
17
Likes
0
The left bud of my RE0 split (between the smooth and grated parts) today. It had actually split before a few days after I got it, but I was able to screw it back in and I thought it would be fine. Today though, it split again and will not screw into the other side and is currently held together by tape. I emailed HD's customer service, so hopefully they'll get me a replacement soon. Only had it for 2 weeks.
frown.gif
 
Aug 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #459 of 2,011

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,277
Likes
9,905
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
North American order will be shipped from NY. Others will be shipped from China.
 
Aug 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #460 of 2,011

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Posts
248
Likes
15
I'm convinced that these earphones change with burn in, courtesy of some testing I performed with a tone generator. With an unamped iPod touch 2g, bass started at 30hz sine waves after 100 hr burnin (35 before). Quantity also increased, as amplitude reached full levels at 40 dcb instead of 50. Low bass rumble previously absent are now there, though less in quantity than with other earphones and speakers.
 
Aug 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #461 of 2,011

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Posts
1,090
Likes
33
I am noticing that my RE0 (fom sansa fuze & E5) sometimes gives off popping sounds when I move around in chair or get out of my chair. It's probably static electricity.
I read somewhere that someone else has experienced that as well, but can't find the thread anymore.
I wonder what makes RE0 more susceptible to this than other IEMs.
 
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #463 of 2,011

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,277
Likes
9,905
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am noticing that my RE0 (fom sansa fuze & E5) sometimes gives off popping sounds when I move around in chair or get out of my chair. It's probably static electricity.
I read somewhere that someone else has experienced that as well, but can't find the thread anymore.
I wonder what makes RE0 more susceptible to this than other IEMs.



Most likely the noise is coming from Fuze since it is known to have weak headphone socket that tend to have a problem when moving around.
 
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #464 of 2,011

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Posts
1,090
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely the noise is coming from Fuze since it is known to have weak headphone socket that tend to have a problem when moving around.


I don't think it was the headphone socket, since the cable was not pulling on that end at all. I occasionally hear the small popping sound from the earphones when my clothes rub against the chair as I stand up from the chair, but not all the time, and I can't reproduce it when I try. Very weird....
 
Sep 1, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #465 of 2,011

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Posts
248
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshf52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left bud of my RE0 split (between the smooth and grated parts) today. It had actually split before a few days after I got it, but I was able to screw it back in and I thought it would be fine. Today though, it split again and will not screw into the other side and is currently held together by tape. I emailed HD's customer service, so hopefully they'll get me a replacement soon. Only had it for 2 weeks.
frown.gif



I had an "Oh my God, are you ****ing kidding me" moment today when I went to listen to my RE0s. I have the exact same problem except with the right side, where the housing has split. I'd remembered reading about this problem before buying, but brushed it off as likely a fluke.

I was absolutely loving these earphones until this happened, and I'm torn over whether to immediately send them back or screw them back together and see if they fail again. Either way, this isn't good at all.

I am missing the sub-base below the 35hz that these earphones bottom out at, though I adore the flat response and the incredibly extended treble. This may be what it takes for me to return the RE0s and go for perhaps the AKG k701, though that would likely (correct me if my impressions are wrong) be more a sideways step than an upgrade. Perhaps even some q-Jays...

:'c
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top