REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Jul 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,307 of 1,326
Hey well I don't know about the dt880s, but regarding to questions of this amp/hd600,

The provides enough volume and the tonal balance is great, bit I did have some nos tubes that I have already forgotten what they were rolled in. what it lacks is the dynamics and soundstage. It is those more technical points that gives the ef2's ptice tag away imo.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,311 of 1,326
Reviving an old gem of a thread. One of my old trusty Mullard tubes finally gave up recently, having been used pretty much 24/7 for I don't know how many years.
Today these little beauties arrived. Figured I'd give Raytheon a go this time around, and I must say so far they're sounding great. Only expecting them to kick more ass as time passes.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,312 of 1,326
  Reviving an old gem of a thread. One of my old trusty Mullard tubes finally gave up recently, having been used pretty much 24/7 for I don't know how many years.
Today these little beauties arrived. Figured I'd give Raytheon a go this time around, and I must say so far they're sounding great. Only expecting them to kick more ass as time passes.

The packaging looks absolutely great....What was your source for the tubes and their cost? I have heard that the raytheons are a touch expensive

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,313 of 1,326
  The packaging looks absolutely great....What was your source for the tubes and their cost? I have heard that the raytheons are a touch expensive

Aye, and the exterior packaging was great as well. Also didn't take that long to get here at all (from U.S. to Sweden). I believe I payed about $44 including shipping, and I bought them from this excellent eBay vendor http://www.ebay.com/usr/vivatubescom

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,315 of 1,326
  I have to buy some soon...thanks for the tip

No worries mate. I highly recommend them. I loved my Mullards, but the Raytheons actually seem to be a notch above them.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,317 of 1,326
  Would this amp be able to drive say HE-400 effortlessly? I thought this was made He-400 but realized this was created way earlier than HE-400. :p

I don't have HE-400 (I have all the others).  It's under-powered for my original HE-5, but better with my HE-5LE and HE-500.  But I can't try to guess about the HE-400. It's fine with HE-500 and HD600 too, although I haven't tried that combo in a while.

For inefficient headphones I prefer the EF5 amp, but with something like the HD800 or Grado HF-2 the EF2 amp will surprise you. It's my top recommendation for a budget/cheap DAC/amp for HD800 while someone recovers from Sennheiser sticker shock and doesn't have the cash for a HD800 quality DAC/amp yet.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,318 of 1,326
It's a great review. I much appreciate it!

With little knowledge on amps/dacs, I think it's better to start with something not so expensive. So I am considering buying a Hifiman  EF-2A for my HD650.

Do you guys think it will be a good staring point? Will EF-2A be a good fit for my HD650? Or do you have other rigs to recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,319 of 1,326
I guess it's time to bring this thread back to life for a bit.  I'm looking for a new set of tubes to replace my stock 6J1's.  I've had it in the amp since the very beginning when I bought it back in mid 2011.  I think I finally am ready to take the plunge, and nab a new set, and see where this can take me.  

I'm wondering, but would the EL84 Mullard Reissue play nice with this amp?  Reason I ask is I managed to find a matched pair on Amazon for a decent enough price.

Link to product in case I missed something...

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,320 of 1,326
  I guess it's time to bring this thread back to life for a bit.  I'm looking for a new set of tubes to replace my stock 6J1's.  I've had it in the amp since the very beginning when I bought it back in mid 2011.  I think I finally am ready to take the plunge, and nab a new set, and see where this can take me.  

I'm wondering, but would the EL84 Mullard Reissue play nice with this amp?  Reason I ask is I managed to find a matched pair on Amazon for a decent enough price.

Link to product in case I missed something...

Wish I could help but I am not an expert on whether these are 100% compatible or equivalent to what comes with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back