REVIEW: GoVibe MAGNUM USB DAC/AMP
May 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by coors68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just heard that the bass is very muddy and the seperation is not as good as the prototype from jaben forum.

If it really is true, then that's very sad to hear. I was hoping it would be good
frown.gif

May 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 73
i can only speak for the DAC, however the GoVibe USB DAC i have is a Burr-Brown PCM2702. It doesnt work with Kernal streaming or ASIO. However, it works with ASIO4ALL and Foobar.

May 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks oicdn. I loaded an ipod, tomahawk, and hornet on sizeasy.com and got a decent idea of its size. Its pretty small. Looks a tad fat though.

What do you mean by "dry" when your describing the sound?
Im looking for domething with full body and smooth, not thin in any way.
Do you think this fits that, or not the best choice?

Thanks

Hard to explain. Kinda like it has an analytical feel to it. A little harsh, but smooth at the same time.

I would pop it open, but I don't have any allen wrenches here at the hotel
frown.gif

The bass only gets muddy on certain tracks, and ONLY if you have the bass knob cranked all the way up. Which leads me to believe it's recording, not necessarily the amp.

I think I got the final production version, as my case and everything looks the same as the ones pictured.

May 24, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it really is true, then that's very sad to hear. I was hoping it would be good
frown.gif

i guess we will need to wait a while more for more reviews

since it had only came out yesterday officially

redface.gif

May 24, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess we will need to wait a while more for more reviews

since it had only came out yesterday officially

redface.gif

Yeah hopefully, I doubt a company would release a product which would sound worse than its own prototype.

May 27, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #39 of 73
I'm currently in Singapore, and had a chance to visit 2 stores selling headphone amps today, including the Magnum at Jaben. There were so many options to audition, it was a little overwhelming.

My Portable rig: iPod touch, Silver LOD, Livewires IEM
Apple Lossless Test tracks from: Diana Krall, Crystal Method, Inger Marie, Yoshida Brothers, Coldplay.

I was handed a brand new black Magnum at Jaben. The fit and finish is indeed nicer than any pictures on this forum depict. Surface is pretty grippy and not slippery. Case doesn't creak or rattle, knobs fit well. Lettering clear but not flashy. With the iPod touch on top, the combination fits nicely in my hand. I used to own a Tomahawk, and it was a little to slim to grip firmly.

My LOD has a Switchcraft plug and it fits firmly in the input jack. There's enough separation between the jacks and volume knob to accommodate the Switchcraft plug and larger miniplugs. On the Petite, I can't use a Switchcraft plug because the jack is too close to the volume knob. No such problem with the Magnum.

With the iPod on top, it is easy to access the volume knob, but the bass control dial is a little difficult to access if you have big fingers. Not much of a problem for the power and gain switches.

Upon turning on the Magnum, the power switch has a nice red glow. No thud or crackle upon working the switches or bass dial.

I started with a medium gain and the bass control knob somewhere in the middle. Starting with Diana Krall and Inger Marie, the amp really brought out the vocals nicely, and the acoustic instruments had a nice musicality. Not quite as smooth as the iBasso P2 I auditioned at a different store today, but the difference between the iPod headphone jack and the Magnum is not subtle. Also, that P2 was burned-in. There is also a clarity to the instruments the Magnum amp seems to bring out.

The bass control dial makes listening to Crystal Method and Coldplay much more fun with the Livewires. The bass doesn't boom like it would with my SF 5EB, but it definitely adds that lower end kick that makes the Livewires more fun with electronic music. Shuffling through various tracks on my iPod, some portions do make the bass sound a little muddy with the bass control dial set at the highest - easily corrected, but this was not a problem on the P2 on the highest bass setting.

The amp probably hasn't been burned-in, and I find the Magnum a little too bright at times. Let me explain. The gain selector seems to make a noticeable difference in the sound signature of the Magnum. With certain tracks, the gain selector at medium makes the amp sound a little too bright, with the gain at low, the brightness goes away, but then with certain tracks, the bass gets muddy at the maximum bass setting.

So it seems that you have a choice of equalization, so to speak. Want your music a little crisp and bright? Set the gain to Med and crank up the bass. A little to bright for your taste? Then set the gain to Low and turn down the bass. However, on low gain, turning the bass control dial seems to change how the vocals sound - I felt that turning the bass too low can make the vocals a little distant.

Did not listen to the amp on Hi gain much - it would deafen me with the Livewires.

I could not A/B the amp section of the Magnum and the P2 as the P2 was at a different store. But Jaben is nice enough to let you compare it with any other amp(s) of your choice - Head-Fi Heaven!!! I asked for a HeadAmp AE-2 (just for the heck of it) and a Ray Samuels Predator and they happily brought that out to me. If only there was a place like this in California. Sigh... Skylab could probably do his entire review at this store. Wilson has everything from Yuins to AKG K1000s, $50 amps to high-end tube amps (no Stax, unfortunately - that's another store a few doors away).

Anyway, to make a long story short, the HeadAmp AE-2 sounds more smooth and silky, but without the authoritative bass of the Magnum. The difference between the Magnum and the Predator was more subtle. Personally, the bass control on the Magnum worked out better for electronic music with the Livewires (with the limitation of a muddy bass on some tracks at the highest bass setting).

I hope to return to Jaben if I have the time with my laptop to try out the DAC, but thought I should audition the amp section first as I would not consider it if the amp was found wanting no matter what DAC was in it.

From the little time I spent with the Magnum, I think it is definitely worth considering. From what I heard today, it makes using an iPod that much more sweet in a nice package. The Magnum will appeal to those looking for a portable amp with a DAC that allows you to somewhat tailor the sound to your taste - a feature (intentional with the Bass control, perhaps incidental with the sound-signature change with changing the gain) missing in the Predator or iBasso D2. The Magnum seems to straddle the line between neutrality and coloration.

I have my iBasso D1 with me, and if I have the time, will return to Jaben with my laptop to try out the DAC portion of the Magnum. Maybe by then, there'll be a little more burn-in to this sweet little amp.

May 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently in Singapore, and had a chance to visit 2 stores selling headphone amps today, including the Magnum at Jaben. There were so many options to audition, it was a little overwhelming.
I could not A/B the amp section of the Magnum and the P2 as the P2 was at a different store. But Jaben is nice enough to let you compare it with any other amp(s) of your choice - Head-Fi Heaven!!! I asked for a HeadAmp AE-2 (just for the heck of it) and a Ray Samuels Predator and they happily brought that out to me. If only there was a place like this in California. Sigh... Skylab could probably do his entire review at this store. Wilson has everything from Yuins to AKG K1000s, $50 amps to high-end tube amps (no Stax, unfortunately - that's another store a few doors away).

Hi trickywombat,

I will be in Singapore in mid June. However, I am not sure if I will go into Jaben's. I have a major problem with that store and "Uncle Wilson".

I could not break away from auditioning the different headphones and amps and almost missed my plane!! In fact, I ran out of the store, without saying goodbye, when I realized the time. Maybe instead of skipping my Jaben visit in June, I could stay an extra night in Singapore so that I can experience unhurried audio bliss at Jaben's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Explorer

PS As I also own Livewires, thanks for the review. I heard a preproduction model of the Magnum but can't wait to try out the final version. Did you compare the Magnum versus the Go-Vibe Petite? (Well at least my PS is not off topic!!)

May 27, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #41 of 73
PRICE$$$!!! lol
All these people trying the amp and seeing it and reviewing it, etc., and still no real price.
Ill have to check the website i guess, and hopefully its there.

May 27, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #42 of 73
Ok that idea was worthless....the Jaben page has like nothing on it.

May 27, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok that idea was worthless....the Jaben page has like nothing on it.

I emailed "Uncle Wilson" 3 days ago and he has yet to reply about the price as well.
frown.gif

May 28, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi trickywombat,
...Maybe instead of skipping my Jaben visit in June, I could stay an extra night in Singapore so that I can experience unhurried audio bliss at Jaben's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you compare the Magnum versus the Go-Vibe Petite? (Well at least my PS is not off topic!!)

I could not use the Go-Vibe Petite with my LOD. My ALO LOD suddenly stopped giving a solid connection and I had to mail it to Ken for inspection/repair (ALO's customer service is incredible). I bought a replacement LOD while here (from another great place to audition stuff - the subway links Stereo Electronics to Jaben!):
Ultimate Link Silver Master-i
That LOD has a Switchcraft connector which is too big for the Petite. The volume knob on the Petite is much closer to the Line In Jack than it is on the Magnum. With the Switchcraft on the Petite, I could not turn the volume knob.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed "Uncle Wilson" 3 days ago and he has yet to reply about the price as well.
frown.gif

I wonder if "Uncle Wilson" is working on a package deal, which seems to be very popular way to buy stuff at that store. I saw a prototype of a case they may package with the amp. Basically it's a soft nylon case with two compartments. The main compartment is custom-cut for the iPod Classic - with a clear screen protector and cut-outs for all the iPod's controls and jacks. A slot will allow you to route your LOD cable to the second compartment below which is adjustable or changeable - different-sized compartments for different sized amps. The prototype fit the Magnum perfectly.

May 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #45 of 73
I can't post the price. You have to eMail him for it. Weird I know, but it is competitively priced, actually very well priced for the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back