Review: Glow Audio Amp One w/ Denon Lawton D2000, K701, HD650, ER-4S, Audio Tech AD2000, DT880/600
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #46 of 54
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new 2013 version of  the glow amp one. From the website it appears that it has a new extenal DAC, two RCA inputs and a new hi/lo impedance switch for better match with various headphones. The DAC only supports CD quality audio.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #47 of 54
That's interesting.  I guess it's an improvement over the onboard DAC, which I didn't have much luck with when I tried it with my iMac.  (Then again, there could have been any number of reasons for my luck, as I don't understand anything about running sound from a computer).

In any event, the Glow Amp One is the single piece of audio equipment I actually miss, having had to sell it when I moved.  Well, I guess that and my old Polk SRS 1.2 speakers, but that was ages ago.  I really miss the Glow, it just worked wonders with my Nano and AKG K702s.  I'm looking forward to getting a Woo 3 to compare sometime in the future.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:
That's interesting.  I guess it's an improvement over the onboard DAC, which I didn't have much luck with when I tried it with my iMac.  (Then again, there could have been any number of reasons for my luck, as I don't understand anything about running sound from a computer).

In any event, the Glow Amp One is the single piece of audio equipment I actually miss, having had to sell it when I moved.  Well, I guess that and my old Polk SRS 1.2 speakers, but that was ages ago.  I really miss the Glow, it just worked wonders with my Nano and AKG K702s.  I'm looking forward to getting a Woo 3 to compare sometime in the future.

Thanks for the information. Have you tried any other transformer coupled tube amps? The Woo 3 is OTL i believe....

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #49 of 54
I don't know enough about amp tech to know, sadly.  Generally, when I have a pair of headphones I want to match to an amp, I come here and ask the pros.  Other tube amps I've tried, and liked, are the Wheatfield HA-1 (awesome!), and the Wheatfield Starving Student.  The Woo is my next, and then I'll choose that or the Glow as my permanent headphone amp. 

I just can't remember if it's the Woo 3 or 6 that's the right match for my K702.  It's in one of my threads here; someone told me which one.  Woo is also great, I can ask him and he'll let me know.  (Hate being such an idiot, but amp tech is just way over my head, and I've read some great threads on it here - still over my head.  It's like reading financial data in the Economist: I read page after page, and think, "Hmm, that's interesting," and still have no idea what I just read).

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:
I don't know enough about amp tech to know, sadly.  Generally, when I have a pair of headphones I want to match to an amp, I come here and ask the pros.  Other tube amps I've tried, and liked, are the Wheatfield HA-1 (awesome!), and the Wheatfield Starving Student.  The Woo is my next, and then I'll choose that or the Glow as my permanent headphone amp. 

I just can't remember if it's the Woo 3 or 6 that's the right match for my K702.  It's in one of my threads here; someone told me which one.  Woo is also great, I can ask him and he'll let me know.  (Hate being such an idiot, but amp tech is just way over my head, and I've read some great threads on it here - still over my head.  It's like reading financial data in the Economist: I read page after page, and think, "Hmm, that's interesting," and still have no idea what I just read).

well enjoyment of the music is the primary purpose.....the rest is just curiosity...best of luck for the woo

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:
Thanks!  Excited about comparing the Woo to the Glow.  I've never heard anything better than the Glow; at all.

I have been looking at other amps like this and there is a british amp which is very highly rated by several people on head fi. Its called icon audio hp8 mk2, so if you are thinking about trying something other than woo it could be an option. It is a little pricey at 1000$ but the new glow is almost $850 now as well.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #53 of 54
Ouch.  Looks like I have to save a few more pennies than I thought. 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back