[REVIEW] Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 and impressions thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #46 of 269
One complaint I have the nozzles diameter is small so standard size tips wont fit. I am using the double flang tips they came with were they are slightly longer then the sound tube, having small ears I need to be careful inserting them if I had them in off a little it choked the sound channel and kinked it a little bit effecting the sound.

Whaaat? I find that difficult to believe, unless what you consider "standard size" is different from what Shure uses and what Future Sonics has used since the days of the EM3. I can't imagine them changing the tube size, as it would make all of their existing accessories obsolete, as well as alienating any customers who'd bought the not-inexpensive Softerwear custom plugs for their previous models.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #47 of 269
The nozzle diameter measures .138 of an inch that's like a human hair bigger then an 1/8 of an inch. It is small I tried to use my sony hybrids and they way to big.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #48 of 269
If they haven't changed the nozzle from previous atrios, it's the same size as Shure and Westone nozzles. Tips that got those brands will fit the new G10.

You can also decore a Shure or Westone foamy to use as spacers for bigger tips.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #51 of 269
If they haven't changed the nozzle from previous atrios, it's the same size as Shure and Westone nozzles. Tips that got those brands will fit the new G10.

You can also decore a Shure or Westone foamy to use as spacers for bigger tips.

THANK YOU I just changed the tips out and settled on the shure foam tips, I am very happy now, the opening is a little wider also and it seems to bring the higher frequencies up and it solved the problem of sounding a bit to warm for me. I can't even explain how much more I enjoy these now. I didn't even think of the shure tips since they have been in my desk for the last year.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #52 of 269
I still have my first pair of IEMs, the atrio M8 purchased in Feb of 2008.  they really started me on a love affair with IEMs and headphones in general.  I can't believe they still function 7 years later and I have not treated them well.  They went to Afghanistan with me and a few dozen other trips.  I use them now for watching movies on my phone because of their great base.  I almost wish they would die so I could talk myself into getting the new ones, almost!  I've got too many headphones as it is.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #54 of 269

10 db is ~10X the volume.  DB is logarithmic.  3db is 2x, 6db is 4x, 9db is 8x etc...  Every 3 db you add ads 2x the volume etc...  So if you are referring to the attenuation of outside noise 29 db is roughly 2^10 or cutting the volume by 1/1000th.  

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #55 of 269
Exactly, Texanter, good explanation!

THANK YOU I just changed the tips out and settled on the shure foam tips, I am very happy now, the opening is a little wider also and it seems to bring the higher frequencies up and it solved the problem of sounding a bit to warm for me. I can't even explain how much more I enjoy these now. I didn't even think of the shure tips since they have been in my desk for the last year.

Knowing how changing the angle of insertion and fit can affect sound is very important! Thanks for sharing acain.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #56 of 269

10 db is ~10X the volume.  DB is logarithmic.  3db is 2x, 6db is 4x, 9db is 8x etc...  Every 3 db you add ads 2x the volume etc...  So if you are referring to the attenuation of outside noise 29 db is roughly 2^10 or cutting the volume by 1/1000th.  

My bad! Just looked it up you are right, don't know where I got 2x from
That seems like a crazy shift in volume though, I've heard IEM's with 10dB spikes in the treble/bass and the peaks themselves don't sound 10x louder which is kind of interesting

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #57 of 269
  My bad! Just looked it up you are right, don't know where I got 2x from
That seems like a crazy shift in volume though, I've heard IEM's with 10dB spikes in the treble/bass and the peaks themselves don't sound 10x louder which is kind of interesting

2x is in perceived volume. While dB is in log scale, human hearing is unfortunately much less precise. It will take roughly 10dB of volume change for human to perceive double / half the listening volume. That's where the 2x comes from.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #58 of 269

2x is in perceived volume. While dB is in log scale, human hearing is unfortunately much less precise. It will take roughly 10dB of volume change for human to perceive double / half the listening volume. That's where the 2x comes from.

Oh yep, thanks for clearing that up. I remembered the 2x factor from high school physics but don't if it applied to perceived volume or actual power
Cheers, I guess I was kind of right?

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #59 of 269

Thanks!

Just to add an important note here, according to NIOSH, every 3 dB increase cuts the safe listening time before hearing damage BY HALF.

That's regardless of whether we perceive the volume as "loud" or not, of course.

Cheers, I guess I was kind of right?

It's all good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back