REVIEW: Fully Modded and recabled MarkL Denon D5000 (MD5000)
Sep 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #46 of 60
Just received my Markl-modded D5000 headphones. I got the balanced deluxe model with balanced Jena Labs cable. I have had most of my headphones recabled by various companies, and must say that the recable job performed here is the most impressive. The hand weave of the cable is very professionally done.

I have not had them long so these are some initial impressions. On first listen, I really like what I am hearing. I used to own a set of D5000's and sold them a few months ago. They were also recabled to balanced. My main complaint with them was a shallowness to the soundstage and a difficult to describe "artificiality" to the sound. I just could not listen to them for long as the music did not involve me the way a few other headphones in my arsenal did. With the new MD5000's, the sound seems less artificial and more involving. I listened to them all day yesterday and did not feel the need to switch back to my SA5000's or the K1000's. Yes, there could be a little "new toy" syndrome working here, but as I had had the Denon's before I do not think that this is a big issue.

I really do like the comfort of the headphones. They seem a little heavier to me than I remember the stock headphone being, but I do not think they are heavy. The padding is nice and soft. I had them on for most of the day and had no comfort issues. As with all leather-wrapped ("pleather-wrapped?")earpads, there is a little warmth built up, but it never was a big issue or uncomfortable.

I will try to post some more detailed listening impressions later, but my quick take is that the bass is a better defined and more tuneful, and there is an increased depth to the soundstage. There is a slight, and I mean slight emphasis on sibilants as compared to some of my other 'phones. This may be a matter of break-in as both the headphones and cable are brand new. I hope they will smooth out a little as time draws on.

More to come...

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #47 of 60
Thanks for the review Skylab.

I found that the stock D5000s had insufficient detail and imaging precision. And they just couldn't trick my brain into hearing a proper soundstage. Instead, I always heard two little speakers right on my ears. The gap in the middle of the soundstage contributed to the lack of illusion. The mods cleared up these problems though. The soundstage is convincing, with precise imaging. In terms of detail, I'm thrilled to say that they're a step up from the the SA5000s.

So, I guess I disagree with your assessment of the D5000s vs. the MD5000s. But your comments make me ever more curious to hear the DX1000s. I wonder if they would benefit much from a top cable upgrade? Or is the stock cable unusually excellent?

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #48 of 60
Skylab,

once upon a time you rank Deep Cup Darth Beyers>DX1000>D5000>DT990>GS1000. Do you still think the same?

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #49 of 60
And you also placed regular Darths "Probably between the DX1000 and D5000, depending on the music.". Are they still there?

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

once upon a time you rank Deep Cup Darth Beyers>DX1000>D5000>DT990>GS1000. Do you still think the same?

Some days yes, some days no
wink.gif
The Deep Cup Darths are wonderful - sometimes I prefer them most, but others, the JVC's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you also placed regular Darths "Probably between the DX1000 and D5000, depending on the music.". Are they still there?

The regular Darths are sufficiently idiosyncratic that the ranking here is a little tougher. On some music I do like them better than the Denons - on other music, I prefer the D5000 and the DT990 over the regular Darths.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some days yes, some days no
wink.gif
The Deep Cup Darths are wonderful - sometimes I prefer them most, but others, the JVC's.

I believe it depends on music rather the day
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you separate them by the genres?

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #52 of 60
Right now I am comparing the JVC DX1000's to the balanced MD5000's. The JVC's are more colored, a little "thicker" sounding, have more bass weight, and have a slightly deeper soundstage. The clarity and relative neutrality of the MD5000's make them my initial overall favorite. More comparisons to come.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am comparing the JVC DX1000's to the balanced MD5000's. The JVC's are more colored, a little "thicker" sounding, have more bass weight, and have a slightly deeper soundstage. The clarity and relative neutrality of the MD5000's make them my initial overall favorite. More comparisons to come.

those seem like good cans to compare.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi 4N6
which amplifier do you use to compare the MD5000 and DX1000? Is it your ultimate TTVJ 307A
o2smile.gif
Have you also owned the sony R10? How will you compare R10's sound with MD5000?
I ask this because Markl sold his R10 and kept his MD5000. How about you?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by capeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi 4N6
which amplifier do you use to compare the MD5000 and DX1000? Is it your ultimate TTVJ 307A
o2smile.gif
Have you also owned the sony R10? How will you compare R10's sound with MD5000?
I ask this because Markl sold his R10 and kept his MD5000. How about you?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Funny question about the R10's. I have a pair coming to me via FedEx and should receive them by tomorrow afternoon.
biggrin.gif
It will be great to compare my MD5000's and DX1000's to the R10's!!! And yes, I am using the TTVJ Millett 307A headphone amp.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what ever happened to that r10 comparison that was to come
biggrin.gif

he's been trying to think of a polite way to say that the R10 crushed the DX1000 and D5000. no luck yet.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he's been trying to think of a polite way to say that the R10 crushed the DX1000 and D5000. no luck yet.
smile_phones.gif

Actually I did compare the modded/recable D5000 w/ an R10 at the Tampa Meet on 11/15. I used two amps a Luxman and a Blue Circle, both SS.

To my ears I would pick the modded D5000 over the R10. The R10 may have had a bit more in some songs but I had to really look for it. Plus there is a sizable cost difference that I rather use for other stuff.

As far as the DX1000 both the R10 and the modded or for that matter stock D5000 are better. Again w/ my ears and music.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Sorry, I have not been posting much lately and kind-of forgot about about this thread. Opps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile_phones.gif

In some ways, this tongue-in-cheek statement is accurate. The R10's are just so smooth yet detailed that they really are a superior headphone to my ears. There is more space around instuments and voices, with better separation of instruments. Sibilance is also less exaggerated, so R10's are less fatiguing.

The balanced MD5000's are really good headphones. The R10's are just simply better to my ears. Worth the vast difference in price? Only you can decide. But I'll say that buying the R10's was definitely worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back