Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3,406 of 4,469
I got my dba-02 from a trade. i bought superfi 5vi for 80 sgd off my friend and traded for it with no top up :D. its great! i dun find the highs piercing. they sound great for me. but i have a problem:

i fitted the shure olives on it and afterwards took it off. but only the foam got ripped off! i tried cutting the plastic tubing. twisting it but it doesnt work. any suggestions. the plastic tubing are super slippery

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3,407 of 4,469
You can try putting it in the freezer and twist it off. The olives are known to be a very tight fit with the DBA-02.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #3,408 of 4,469

Quote:
Any comments on the built quality of these guys? I have heard it and I am certainly wowed, but I am concern about how flimsy the DBA-02's cable looks.

The DBA build embarrasses the SM3 IMO.  Then again so do most IEMs.  No issues w/ mine yet.

Quote:
Tri Flange, deep insert will take care of both. But I personally can't get over the feeling that something is stuck in my brain so I don't use the tri Flanges.

If you ever get a chance to try the Klipsch oval bi flanges and finds a size that fits they will melt way in your ears.  I loved the seal and isolation of the Ety trips but they annoyed the hell out of me after more than 15 min and you always knew they were there.

Quote:
I got my dba-02 from a trade. i bought superfi 5vi for 80 sgd off my friend and traded for it with no top up :D. its great! i dun find the highs piercing. they sound great for me. but i have a problem:

i fitted the shure olives on it and afterwards took it off. but only the foam got ripped off! i tried cutting the plastic tubing. twisting it but it doesnt work. any suggestions. the plastic tubing are super slippery

Ahhh, Shure quirks.  I'm so glad I don't use any of their IEMs anymore.  Completely senseless choice of plastics for the Shure cores.  Its almost like they want you to destroy them so you can buy more tips.  Hmmm.......    

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #3,409 of 4,469
How are the comply T-100 ends for the DBA's?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3,410 of 4,469

Thanks, I will try the Klipsch oval bi flanges.

I get the best SQ and seal with the tri-flanges but I just can't keep them on for more than a few minutes. Maybe the Klipsch oval bi flanges are the solution.
Quote:
If you ever get a chance to try the Klipsch oval bi flanges and finds a size that fits they will melt way in your ears.  I loved the seal and isolation of the Ety trips but they annoyed the hell out of me after more than 15 min and you always knew they were there.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #3,411 of 4,469
The supplied triple-flange tips are not an option for me.  I was using them and when I went to remove the headphones from my ears one of the triple-flange tips came off the tube and was lodged deep in my ear.  I had to remove it with tweezers.  At second glance, it appears that the supplied triple-flange tips are easily removed from the tube.  They almost seem to be the wrong size. 

How do the Ety triple-flanges fit?  Are they more snug?

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #3,412 of 4,469

Quote:

Just split them with a utility knife but before you do, try prying from the base of the sleeves instead of pulling or spinning. Usually breaks the seal once you've worked your way around and is the best way to remove while still in one piece. Those stems look a bit wide for the olives but I've used them on PL50s and ADDIEMs without any problems getting them on and off. I didn't at the time but they can be streched with an awl and you need to fatigue them a bit if you want them to stay larger.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3,413 of 4,469
Quote:
The supplied triple-flange tips are not an option for me.  I was using them and when I went to remove the headphones from my ears one of the triple-flange tips came off the tube and was lodged deep in my ear.  I had to remove it with tweezers.  At second glance, it appears that the supplied triple-flange tips are easily removed from the tube.  They almost seem to be the wrong size. 

Ety tri-flanges fit well, or Shure tri-flanges with longer tubes (trim as needed). Here's a less expensive alternative to those.

All the Fischer tips seem less secure on the nozzles (had to pull a few out with tweezers), which is the reason I've switched to Shure grey "soft flex" tips.

Those of you who like the tri-flange seal but dislike the comfort - Have you tried cutting off the last (smallest) flange?

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3,414 of 4,469
Quote:

I was able to remove Shure olives with LOTS of patience and using my fingernail to push up on the core, NOT pulling on the foam.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3,415 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

Ety tri-flanges fit well, or Shure tri-flanges with longer tubes (trim as needed). Here's a less expensive alternative to those.

All the Fischer tips seem less secure on the nozzles (had to pull a few out with tweezers), which is the reason I've switched to Shure grey "soft flex" tips.

Those of you who like the tri-flange seal but dislike the comfort - Have you tried cutting off the last (smallest) flange?

Thanks, I will check those out.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #3,416 of 4,469

Quote:
How are the comply T-100 ends for the DBA's?
rolleyes.gif

They're pretty good. Not as good for me as the P-type, but they can have deep insertion and seal fairly well. I just prefer the longer version (I must have long, wide canals).
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3,417 of 4,469
IMO the best way to remove the shure olives is to grab the entire tip, squeeze as hard as you possibly can and just twist. Once the seal is broken the rest is easy, but it's not easy to grab the tips like as if you're trying to break the nozzle though.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3,418 of 4,469
Am now on my 3rd month of using the DBA-02 and although it has its own problems, it still is my favorite IEM among 9 other IEM's that I own. Talking about problems, one nagging problem I have is the right monitor having a muffled or reduced sound every now and then. I have ruled out moisture and filter problems as the cause as I have sorted this out already. There are times when I listen to them, the sound early on is decreased or muffled on the right side and gradually improves after a few mins. There are times when it just doesnt improve even after an hour of using it. I am listening to them now while I am writing this and nothing seems to be wrong with them but a few hours ago, the right side seemed like there wasnt any sound coming out of it. As I've said, I dont think it's a problem with the filters or any fluid or moisture inside. If this persists, I may have to send them back for a replacement but it's such a hassle considering I have to bring them back to the supplier and fortunately I get a replacement. It may take months before I get the replacement and this is what bothers me. Just want to know if any of you DBA-02 owners have a similar problem. Thanks

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #3,420 of 4,469

Quote:
What tip. That sounds like a tip closing from insertion or a bend in the canal. have you tried just barely sticking them in and seeing if the upper ranges are the same defore full installation?

I was thinking a fit issue as well.  Sometimes you need to compensate for your ear canals not being the same on each side.  I extend the tips on one side a touch more to match my ears.  Try pushing the tip further down on the nozzle on the troubled side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back