Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #1,952 of 4,469
mine is in the fedex office being proccessed for delivery and subjected to tax
it was marked a low value and weigh only .4kg and yet they insist in taxing it
the fedex workers here in the philippines are insane and corrupted!
thats why i advise all sellers not to ship to my country using fedex!
such a pain in the a$$

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #1,953 of 4,469
That's a shame...btw, how did you know where they are, did you get some kind of tracking information?

Quote:
mine is in the fedex office being proccessed for delivery and subjected to tax
it was marked a low value and weigh only .4kg and yet they insist in taxing it
the fedex workers here in the philippines are insane and corrupted!
thats why i advise all sellers not to ship to my country using fedex!
such a pain in the a$$

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #1,955 of 4,469
ethan... did you get tracking numbers?

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #1,956 of 4,469

Quote:
Nice review.
Interesting to see that the impressions so far are pretty polar. Some say the treble is harsh, some say that is smooth.
popcorn.gif

Guess our ears are really different.

Hm.. there is something I couldn't quite put my finger on when I listened to them last night. I put it this way: It MAY be prone to sibilance, BUT it's not at the usual frequency aka Ety sibilance.  It is lower and quite different, can't say it's harsh myself. The CD I used last night was harsh in mid-treble but the DBA-02 smooths it over a bit.  I won't say it is too much treble as well, because cymbals don't clash loud.  Overall the DBA-02 reminds me of the Westone universals sound signature, but more linear than the obviously V-shaped presentation.

Quote:
Excellent review! 

Quote:
funny how parrot is already selling them...

At the end of the review I stated that already. It has no place in my stash.

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #1,957 of 4,469

Quote:
Parrot - thanks for the review.  I listen to a lot of classical music, I love my K701s and now my ER4S are quickly growing on me, so that was interesting to hear your take about the DBA02s.     

If you want a bigger soundstage and separation, but don't mind sacrificing some treble and focus, it may work for you.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #1,959 of 4,469

Quote:
Which is actually why he said its (kinda) 'funny'. Your review is very favorable to the DBAs. Why has it no place on your rig?

It came out as very favorable?
confused_face(1).gif
   In all fairness, I can praise it for casual and fun listening, but you can see I have no casual/fun listening gear at all, neither am I that kind of person.  I have very limited gear at any given time. You can take a look at my profile to see the gears I've bought and sold over the few years (many with a brief reason attached to it as well) and I have got rid of all the laid-back/fun stuff.
Yes the DBA-02 is excellent excellent value at $200 CAD.  The Livewires customs and Shure E4 were excellent values to me too.  I struggled to sell them, but if a piece of gear is not my top choice, I don't hold on to it.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #1,960 of 4,469
Hey parrot, interesting to hear you call the DBA laid back and fun, I'd agree with fun but most definitely not laid back. Its nowhere as forward as the ER4s, but that isn't saying much consider they reside at a rather extreme end of the spectrum. Compared to most IEMs I find it rather analytical; overly so, I might even say.
Oh and referring to your previous post on female vocals (can't be bothered to go quote :) ) have you heard of the rather unknown Crossroads quattro? I'm not using it anymore because its soundsig is really quite subpar in many areas, but the only thing that I still can remember about it is that female vocals come across as extremely natural sounding.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #1,962 of 4,469

Quote:
Interesting to see that the impressions so far are pretty polar. Some say the treble is harsh, some say that is smooth
popcorn.gif
Guess our ears are really different.

X 2!

My love of these IEM's is no secret since my initial review. However, when a friend I trust listened to them recently, he hated them and I feel we hear very similarly. A few weeks went by and he decided to try them again and got the same results. I find this little IEM is really at polar opposites when it comes to liking them. FWIW, I still love them.

Very interesting reading all the new reviews.
popcorn.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #1,963 of 4,469

Quote:
X 2!

My love of these IEM's is no secret since my initial review. However, when a friend I trust listened to them recently, he hated them and I feel we hear very similarly. A few weeks went by and he decided to try them again and got the same results. I find this little IEM is really at polar opposites when it comes to liking them. FWIW, I still love them.

Very interesting reading all the new reviews.
popcorn.gif

That's really the case with this kind of sound signature here. A similar earphone in sound signature is the CK10 and it absolutely has those that absolutely love it and then those that absolutely hate it. There are very few in between. RE0 is pretty similar in that case as well.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #1,964 of 4,469

Quote:
Hey parrot, interesting to hear you call the DBA laid back and fun, I'd agree with fun but most definitely not laid back. Its nowhere as forward as the ER4s, but that isn't saying much consider they reside at a rather extreme end of the spectrum. Compared to most IEMs I find it rather analytical; overly so, I might even say.
Oh and referring to your previous post on female vocals (can't be bothered to go quote :) ) have you heard of the rather unknown Crossroads quattro? I'm not using it anymore because its soundsig is really quite subpar in many areas, but the only thing that I still can remember about it is that female vocals come across as extremely natural sounding.

No no I sold my laid-back and fun gears, but DBA-02 isn't laid-back, just fun to me.
I'll look into the Crossroads quattro.  It doesn't have any oddity in the vocals? Linear? Resonances at chest voice? Enough air at higher registers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back