Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Dec 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #3,421 of 4,469

I was thinking a fit issue as well.  Sometimes you need to compensate for your ear canals not being the same on each side.  I extend the tips on one side a touch more to match my ears.  Try pushing the tip further down on the nozzle on the troubled side.

Tried different tips and adjusting them but problem persists. Will see how it goes. Hasnt recurred though for the past 24 hrs. Keeping my fingers crossed

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #3,422 of 4,469
I'm liking these very much after a few days of use. When I bought them, I told myself I would not keep my Panasonics and these. I would keep the ones I liked more. The DBA's are superior in sound. But I also love the punchy fun sound of the Panasonics. I enjoy metal music more on the Panasonics, and it is 50% of my listening. Listening to more mellow rock on the DBA;s is just short of amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've listening to The Wall, Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here. But listening to them on the DBA's made my jaw drop(not an exaggeration, it really did). It's kind of like fine dining compared to a greasy Carl's Junior burger. Sometimes you are just in the mood for the burger instead. Metal music on the HJE's are a Carl's Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger for me.

So here is my problem. Do I keep the ones that amaze me with the sound quality, except I find the bass slightly lacking, or keep the fun ones?

I know the answer, keep both.

Another wrinkle: I've got TF10's coming Monday.
confused.gif

I love dilemmas like these :wink:

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #3,423 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm liking these very much after a few days of use. When I bought them, I told myself I would not keep my Panasonics and these. I would keep the ones I liked more. The DBA's are superior in sound. But I also love the punchy fun sound of the Panasonics. I enjoy metal music more on the Panasonics, and it is 50% of my listening. Listening to more mellow rock on the DBA;s is just short of amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've listening to The Wall, Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here. But listening to them on the DBA's made my jaw drop(not an exaggeration, it really did). It's kind of like fine dining compared to a greasy Carl's Junior burger. Sometimes you are just in the mood for the burger instead. Metal music on the HJE's are a Carl's Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger for me.

So here is my problem. Do I keep the ones that amaze me with the sound quality, except I find the bass slightly lacking, or keep the fun ones?

confused.gif

HA! I feel the same.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #3,424 of 4,469
In all honesty? Sell both,toss in a little more cash, and get the JH5 customs, which to me are like the DBAs, but then some (a better version of DBAs). And they have the bass you are yearning for, in spades.

Short of that, I recommened the CMOYbb amp with bass boost, if an amp isn't a hassle.

Or wait to see if the TF10s are the answer? If not, you can sell those too and be close to the $399 JH5 price tag. Just a suggestion.

Quote:

confused.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #3,425 of 4,469
I just received mine today. (I got them used from a a member.) First impressions: WOW! =) They are small, light and fit super-well. I evidently have small ear canals since the smallest tips fit me very well, and the isolation is excellent with them. I like how flexible the wires are. Sonically, they are very good. I like to play around with things and unlike the purists, I do EQ stuff to suit my taste, and it is very awesome to be able to hear the changes made very exactly and consistently all the way from the bottom to the top of the round range. I am super impressed, but, honestly haven't had many earphones to compare these to.

They are a bit hissy plugged into the headphone jack of my MBP, and when I am feeding them with my also recently acquired iBasso D12 using a generic USB cable. I dug out my Tos-link cable that I got from my Mini-Disc player (Gosh, how I miss the simplicity of those things . . . ) years ago and am keeping everything as clean as possible and the hiss is a bit lower, so I think that it's the cable I'm using.

Things left to play around with: Cowon D2>D12>DBAs, lots more music. =)

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3,426 of 4,469

This is my plan, actually. But not just yet. One thing I'm waiting for is some reviews of 1964 products.
Quote:
In all honesty? Sell both,toss in a little more cash, and get the JH5 customs, which to me are like the DBAs, but then some (a better version of DBAs). And they have the bass you are yearning for, in spades.

Short of that, I recommened the CMOYbb amp with bass boost, if an amp isn't a hassle.

Or wait to see if the TF10s are the answer? If not, you can sell those too and be close to the $399 JH5 price tag. Just a suggestion.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #3,427 of 4,469
I'm planning to get an amp for the DBA's. Read through LFF's review of the Mystify and I must say seems very tempting. But I'm also interested in the Arrow and Stepdance.. Hmm anyone has suggestions?

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #3,428 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm planning to get an amp for the DBA's. Read through LFF's review of the Mystify and I must say seems very tempting. But I'm also interested in the Arrow and Stepdance.. Hmm anyone has suggestions?

+1. I am waiting on the S:flo2 I have on pre-order with MP4Nation (endless delay, BTW) before making my decision on one of these amps. Really enjoying my DBA-02 here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #3,429 of 4,469
I'm also trying to decide between the Mystify & Headstage Arrow.. thoughts on how they pair with the DBA would be appreciated..

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #3,430 of 4,469

Throw me in that boat as well! But for the IEM's that I have!
Quote:
I'm also trying to decide between the Mystify & Headstage Arrow.. thoughts on how they pair with the DBA would be appreciated..

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #3,431 of 4,469
Read through a fair deal of this thread, obviously not the whole thing (lord knows I don't have that much time)
is the verdict that these are slightly sibilant or is that a rare complaint?

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #3,432 of 4,469
with some tips definitely sibilant, but with the right tips nothing to point a finger to.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3,434 of 4,469
[size=medium]This Monday, I was listening to my UE Super.fi 3 Studio headphones. Really enjoying them because I set perfect eq, treble and bass settings on my Rockboxed 5g iPod. I get home and start walking in and can it be, is this box my DBA-02s. I check the address, Canada. Yeah these are totally it, so I drop my stuff and run downstairs and unpack the box.[/size]

[size=medium]Packaging[/size]
[size=medium]The DBA-02s come in a cardboard box. I think of this as a plus. I like it when compaies don't focus on [size=small]luxury[/size] and focus on the product and it's performance. Yet it feels ever so better than cardboard(Maybe it’s the adrenaline) and it has nice print on it. I open it to find a sweet warranty card that is also on cardboard. Move that to find this really small slip of paper with some instructions on it. Its in Russian, two other foren languages then English.  Since it was no help I just tossed it to the side. And there I see the headphones, Dam that cable is bright and dam the headphones are small. I see two baggies and a small leather carry pouch. One baggie has over ear adapter and something else(not sure) and the other with different tips. The small tips where on the headphones and in the bag came medium sized tips, large sized tips, triple flange tips, a large tip with a blue inside and one with a green inside. I gently remove the headphones by pushing on the plastic felt coated packaging from the back.[/size]

[size=medium]First Thoughts[/size]
[size=medium]I cannot get these to sit right in my ears, coming from a huge pair of brute IEMs these seemed to small and gentle and couldn’t get them to sit right in my ears. With a little bit of play I setted then in somewhat. I set all my settings on my Rockbox’d 5g iPod to default and I randomly load up Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar in FLAC quality. Vocal heaven. The highs and mids were very very clear and sounded amazing yet didn’t force themselves on me. The piano and trumpets sound exactly like they would in real life. Where is the third player ? The lows, although a little recessed was clear and tight. It’s easy recommendation to someone who likes vocals or soul. Next I loaded up Flaux Pavilion - Hold Me Close in FLAC. Only a couple seconds into the song and I hear the highs taking over. The highs stay tight and clean but seem to take over the other sounds. Once the bass drops, I was shocked. I felt a nudge, I should have felt a kick. The highs were taking over, the mids stayed nice but the bass was too recessed. But overall, the sound stayed tight, clean and sharp. I wouldn’t recommend this to people that like electronic music that kicks(Dubstep, Rave, Gabber, etc.), but it would hold up to people that like high frequency electonica(Dance, Techno, etc.). Up next, Gorillaz - Kids With Guns in FLAC of course. Everything was playing together nicely here. Highs weren’t popping out at me and mids stayed strong and the lows showed had a greater presence. The DBA-02s presented nice smooth natural sound while staying clear. I will recommend this to someone who listens to music like the Gorillaz’s Demon Days album.  Because of the nice highs, mids and clarity, I really liked these headphones when listening to Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild, Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway, Bob Segar & The Silver Bullet Band - Old Time Rock & Roll. Mostly old school rock. My initial reactions conclude that highs may overpower sometimes, mids stay neutral and lows are a little recessed. The sounds stays tight and clean but isn’t too sharp. The bass is a subpar, only because of the lack of a third driver to power the lows. [/size]

[size=medium]This is only my initial reaction from the first day, will keep testing with other types of songs and burning these babies in. I'm Polish so don't mind my bad grammar and spelling. I’m sorry if my initial reaction isn't the same, you aren’t satisfied with my brief description or straight up don’t like how the DBA impressed me. Pictures will be up with my full review.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back