REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #976 of 2,116
Yeah I never really liked the Super Fi range IEM's with the exception of the Super Fi 4 I found which ain't bad sounding. Skip the Super Fi range and go for the Triple Fi 10's for that nice mix of impactful bass with quality mids is what I would recommend.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #978 of 2,116
Quote:
I suggest anyone with a little DIY skill and $40.00 USD (or $150.00 USD if you buy it built) look into the Objective 2 amp.

I found out about that little marvel today and the measurements look VERY impressive. If anything, I can imagine the sound will be dead neutral and totally accurate while being beefy enough to handle the FA-011.

It is definitely on my "I NEED THIS!!!!" list.

WOW what a great find LFF!!!!

I think I'm going to get myself a new DIY amp :)

Quote:
When I go broke, I'm blaming you LFF.
wink.gif

BTW, link to the kit? 
eek.gif

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/o2-summary.html

Quote:
my question was about the choice between the fa-011 / dt990 600ohm / ultrasone pro 900

LOL that was completely not what you were after, was it...

If it helps I was in the same boat as you, and decided to go with the FA-011... from what I gather it's close enough (if not better in some areas) to the DT990 PLUS easier to drive... you can always sell and upgrade if you are unhappy with it.
See my discussion with Justinicus in the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566226/recommend-something-with-a-sound-signature-similar-to-fischer-s-fa-011/15#post_7707074

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #979 of 2,116

Quote:
my question was about the choice between the fa-011 / dt990 600ohm / ultrasone pro 900

I have owned the FA-011 and the DT990/600.  I have not heard the Ultrasone Pro 900, but I never really cared for any of the Ultrasone headphones I tried (including the Edition 8).

Out of those three, I'd personally go with the DT990.  They seem to have a cleaner, more refined sound, much better comfort IMO, and much better build quality.  Get yourself a nice OTL tube amp like the Schiit Valhalla, and the DT990/600 will sing.

Both of these headphones have great, powerful bass.  I'd give the FA-011 the edge for smoothness and liquidity in the mids, whereas I'd give the edge to the DT990 for clearer, less grainy highs.  The main thing that bothered me about the FA-011 was the fatigue -- because of how they rest on the ear and the high clamping force, I found them fatiguing to wear, and because of the somewhat grainy and aggressive highs, they were fatiguing to listen to as well.  The DT990 is also a bright headphone which some may find fatiguing, but its treble was far smoother and less bothersome for my ears.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #980 of 2,116
Point of clarification -- my discussion with Ancient was on the FA-011s and the DT990 Pro, 250 Ohms.  The 600s should definitely be more comfortable (less clamping force), but having never heard them, I can't comment on their clarity and refinement. 

I used to use my FA-011s at work with an E7/E9 (music and podcasts while working), and I bought the DT990 Pros for gaming and movies at home (currently flip-flopped).  I haven't done a blind test, or even a proper A/B (have to pause, rewind, take off one set, swap plugs, put on the other set, and hit play) but to my ears, the DT990 Pros and the FA-011 are definitely in the same ballpark. 

On my equipment (including my ears), though I could hear a difference, I couldn't pick a winner based on sound quality alone.  Factoring budget, amplifier requirements, etc. and the differences become more pronounced.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #982 of 2,116

Quote:
thx for the info.

I think i have decided on the Fa-011 paired with a schitt asgard amp.

I can always get the dt-990's at a later date.

Good luck! let us know how that goes..

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #983 of 2,116
Anyone know the retail price? I seen them for $118 which doesn't seem right at all for something like this.

Do these need an amp to drive them?

They really look nice, but how do they stand up against other headphones of the same price?

Ethan.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #984 of 2,116
I am thinking of giving a try to a Fisher headphone... the thing is I am not sure which one 011 or 003???
You can see my current setup in my signature!
How would you compare the 011 to the K701?
I am listening mostly to classical (a lot of opera), jazz, ethnic!
Thnx!!!

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #985 of 2,116

Quote:
Anyone know the retail price? I seen them for $118 which doesn't seem right at all for something like this.

Do these need an amp to drive them?

They really look nice, but how do they stand up against other headphones of the same price?

Ethan.

Im pretty sure that is the retail, but shipping from Europe to the US is about thirty bucks.

You will need an amp to bring out the potential of these headphones.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #986 of 2,116
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. I have been lurking for just about a month looking for my first pair of hifi headphones. I think the FA-011 is the perfect start for me with regards to my taste in music and curiosity of experimenting with different genres. I was wondering if the uDAC-2 would be sufficient for these cans or are there other dac/amp combos around the same price that would work even better.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #988 of 2,116

Quote:
I am thinking of giving a try to a Fisher headphone... the thing is I am not sure which one 011 or 003???
You can see my current setup in my signature!
How would you compare the 011 to the K701?
I am listening mostly to classical (a lot of opera), jazz, ethnic!
Thnx!!!

I would strongly recommend the FA-003 judging from your sig and the music preference you listen to. The FA-003 is dead on neutral so you don't want any sort of coloration to your music (which the FA-011 emphasis more on then being a neutral champ like the FA-003).

Read LFF's review/impression on the FA-003 titled "The Neutral Champ" through the search functions here,

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #989 of 2,116

Quote:
 I was wondering if the uDAC-2 would be sufficient for these cans or are there other dac/amp combos around the same price that would work even better.

I've never owned the uDAC-2 (NWAVGuy's reviews turned me off), but from what I understand, they should be able to handle the FA-011s just fine.  Of course, if you spend more you will likely get more, but that's a very deep rabbit hole.  There isn't much in that price range (US$120 +/-), especially with a nice user experience (from what I could discern). 

I went with the E7($90, or $200 for the E7/E9 combo), which also handles them well, though I'm not so happy with the user interface for my purposes (primarily desktop use).  I also considered the FUBAR III($230), Fireye II($100), EF2A($160), and at one point considered the Music Streamer II($150) paired with a Little Dot MK II($125) or MK III($200).  Also considered the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB ($100) briefly.  If I had a hard limit of the uDAC price, I think I might go with the X-Fi, which should drive the FA-011s while still providing a hassle-free user experience and hopefully without the channel balance issues of the uDAC.

Though my E7/E9 combo sounds very good and provides oodles of power, I don't like having to turn on my E7 independently, every time I turn on my computer. Then remember to turn it off independently as well. The little power button on the side is a pain to use while it's docked, and I don't always hold it long enough (since my hand blocks the screen when I do it, I can't tell).  I also don't like that every time I turn my computer on, I'm recharging its internal battery.  That thing is sure to be useless within a year or so, because of that.

If I could do it all over again, I think I'd suck it up and spend the money on a Music Streamer 2 and a stand-alone amp.

As an aside, I also picked up the Behringer UCA-202($30) and a Bravo V2 ($30-50) mini tube amp off of ebay.  No complaints about the UCA-202 as a basic DAC, but it's anemic on its own.  The Bravo amp is... cute.  The sound's pretty good unless I do a head-to-head with better equipment.  Definitely coloring, quite powerful, somewhat inconvenient input and power switch placement, but for a $40 amp, I'm not complaining.

Standard disclaimer: I'm more of a mid-fi than hi-fi guy.  I mostly listen to 256-320kbps MP3s, in a relatively noisy environment, with no single piece of audio equipment costing more than $300, and am perfectly happy.  I'm not rich enough to ignore the "diminishing returns" issue and would rather have my 80% of perfect for $150-300 than 90% for $1500.  Since you're looking at the uDAC-2, I have to assume you're in the same camp!

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #990 of 2,116

Quote:
Quote:

I've never owned the uDAC-2 (NWAVGuy's reviews turned me off), but from what I understand, they should be able to handle the FA-011s just fine.  Of course, if you spend more you will likely get more, but that's a very deep rabbit hole.  There isn't much in that price range (US$120 +/-), especially with a nice user experience (from what I could discern). 

I went with the E7($90, or $200 for the E7/E9 combo), which also handles them well, though I'm not so happy with the user interface for my purposes (primarily desktop use).  I also considered the FUBAR III($230), Fireye II($100), EF2A($160), and at one point considered the Music Streamer II($150) paired with a Little Dot MK II($125) or MK III($200).  Also considered the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB ($100) briefly.  If I had a hard limit of the uDAC price, I think I might go with the X-Fi, which should drive the FA-011s while still providing a hassle-free user experience and hopefully without the channel balance issues of the uDAC.

Though my E7/E9 combo sounds very good and provides oodles of power, I don't like having to turn on my E7 independently, every time I turn on my computer. Then remember to turn it off independently as well. The little power button on the side is a pain to use while it's docked, and I don't always hold it long enough (since my hand blocks the screen when I do it, I can't tell).  I also don't like that every time I turn my computer on, I'm recharging its internal battery.  That thing is sure to be useless within a year or so, because of that.

If I could do it all over again, I think I'd suck it up and spend the money on a Music Streamer 2 and a stand-alone amp.

As an aside, I also picked up the Behringer UCA-202($30) and a Bravo V2 ($30-50) mini tube amp off of ebay.  No complaints about the UCA-202 as a basic DAC, but it's anemic on its own.  The Bravo amp is... cute.  The sound's pretty good unless I do a head-to-head with better equipment.  Definitely coloring, quite powerful, somewhat inconvenient input and power switch placement, but for a $40 amp, I'm not complaining.

Standard disclaimer: I'm more of a mid-fi than hi-fi guy.  I mostly listen to 256-320kbps MP3s, in a relatively noisy environment, with no single piece of audio equipment costing more than $300, and am perfectly happy.  I'm not rich enough to ignore the "diminishing returns" issue and would rather have my 80% of perfect for $150-300 than 90% for $1500.  Since you're looking at the uDAC-2, I have to assume you're in the same camp!

My previous setup was a Fiio E7/E9 a very good setup for the money. The E7 is the weak spot, but still ok. I started with this as my portable headphone amp, after the E5, so was very happy with the Fiio upgrade path and use of existing gear.

I changed the DAC for a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and V-PSU (power supply upgraded) and used this with my E9, This was very noticeable upgrade. Also, in the UK there are some very good deals on the V-DAC, probably because the V-DAC II has come out. Then I got the Little Dot MKIV amp which moved everything forward again. I would recommend this setup or even the cheaper Little Dot MKIII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back