Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Oct 29, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,034 of 3,047
  I was also curious.

Heres the HD650 headband in action with the HM5 cups. You can order the HD600 headband at sennheisers parts and spares service but it costs round 90€ here in Europe so should be around 90 dollars in America, although you could always pick up spare parts from the HD580 at Ebay or Craigslist. Parts Nr. from Sennheiser: 059570

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,035 of 3,047
Thanks!  That's really cool.  Unfortunately, I already searched craigslist and ebay and didn't find anything.  I couldn't find the actual part in the Sennheiser store either, even with the number you provided.  All I'm able to find anywhere is the padding for it.  Ironically, I was able to find one listing on eBay which actually sells it by doing the search with that part number.  It's even more, like $100 though.  No headband, especially of this nature, costs EVEN CLOSE to that much to manufacture.  It's BS but when it's the only option, what are you going to do?..

In any case, I'm not sure if you ever paid attention to this specifically but if you could remember or actually do a direct comparison, if you were to compare how the pressure is distributed from the band onto the cups and then on your head, with the Sennheiser band, is it pushing more lower, higher, or about the same relative to the original band?  In other words, do the pads either in terms of feel or noticeably visually get compressed more on the bottom with this band, on the top, or about the same?  Thanks!

If you're wondering why I'm asking, for these cups, I always thought either the hole should be lower or the band should apply more downwards pressure.  The angle and which part is closer to the ear relative to that angle makes a big difference.  I don't actually like how it is like with the original band and I was hoping with this setup it may make a difference.  If it doesn't, it's simply more worth it to purchase the 3D prints from $25-$35 or to go with the Fischer Audio replacement they now offer, as was officially mentioned and recently announced in the link above your post.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,036 of 3,047
Yes these headbands are expensive! i was lucky once and found a HD580 for 70€ on german "craigslist". The convenience would be having a great Sennheiser(the HD580 drivers are the same as the HD600) and also being able to use the headband for the HM5/FA003.
I can't tell you exactly how the pressure of the pads is distributed but its not so firm as with a new HM5 headband, which gave me problems because it was so tight. I would say pressure is evenly distributed over the ear. But it also depends on your head shape of course.
Well good luck on buying an (expensive) headband and let us now how the Ti headband fits if you buy one.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #3,037 of 3,047
  Yes these headbands are expensive! i was lucky once and found a HD580 for 70€ on german "craigslist". The convenience would be having a great Sennheiser(the HD580 drivers are the same as the HD600) and also being able to use the headband for the HM5/FA003.
I can't tell you exactly how the pressure of the pads is distributed but its not so firm as with a new HM5 headband, which gave me problems because it was so tight. I would say pressure is evenly distributed over the ear. But it also depends on your head shape of course.
Well good luck on buying an (expensive) headband and let us now how the Ti headband fits if you buy one.

Yeah, I guess the Ti would be a better option then.  I'm not sure exactly yet if I'll be purchasing it yet (might just be purchasing the headphones themselves), but yeah, if it's less firm, then it probably means it's exactly the same if not worse in terms of how the pressure affects how the cups sit on your head.  Personally, I like how the HM5's are for example out-of-the-box in terms of tightness.  I actually really hate the fact (purely in term of comfort I'm speaking now) that they loosen over time.  Regardless of feelings on comfort however, it also unfortunately has the more important negative effect of having a worse and otherwise thinner sound.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,038 of 3,047
Sorry, I know this is Fischer area but i need a suggestion for my modded HM5, here it goes  

Instead using dynamat i use 'no brand' acoustic mat as suggested by local car audio store, they usually use this for car speaker area, more less similar like dynamat with aluminum top.

39760ab82b6ba24ef98db66b60661bcb.jpg

Fill with aquarium filter (dacron?)

c527c4396a4a70077229e31bdf9b1efd.jpg

Covered the front driver with fiber felt

df18b1c03a9b300c3877b9ae6d5609d7.jpg

I'm still hearing some peaky (if not sibilance) of woman vocal and on high freq, but i think the harsh part is gone (maybe). Any extra suggestion? I didn't replace cup felt with mat tho, do I have to?

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,039 of 3,047
Hi guys =)

I'm selling a pair of wooden cups.

rock on!!!

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,040 of 3,047
  THE VERDICT:

It will now be harder to pick a favorite headphone: HD-600, HP-1000, FA-003, RS-1, CD-3000, R-10 or others. Yes, this headphone is now one my favorites. Is it the end all, be all? No, but it is worthy of being considered along with other great headphones.

@LFF, I can't resist unburying this because I noticed you mention the MDR CD-3000. The 3K are my favorite headphones when it comes to soundstage, having that holographic sound. How would the NVX XPT100 compare when it comes to that? (I'm basically looking for a cheap pair of something that sounds like the 3K or even roomier).

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #3,041 of 3,047
i ripped off a lot of things on my fischer audio fa 003 and made them unbelievably mid forward without snazzy midrange, instead they are creamy and vocal heavy, i can show pics if someone is interested

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,042 of 3,047
So many derivatives of the same phones.

Today I took delivery of a pair of Lindy HF-100 from 'the bay' at an offer price of £30 including postage.

To be fair, I spent days searching for a match for my Fiio X3ii and was struggling.

My Sennheiser HD449's for semi portable listening (I can't sit with my laptop on my knee with the outboard
spinning HD any more - argh) are well, ok but.  I can't use the Porta Pros I need no leakage.

The Sennheisers are 'nice' but bass light and a very treble gentle pair of phones and don't cut it with my genre or the 
drive I need. Rock, classic and metal.

I spent an afternoon in my local Currys with my friend from the sales floor.  We went through every pair of 
'cans' from their £40 Sony to £300 whatevers and his view was the same as mine - crap, all crap.  Muddled, lacking, no 
definition.  His comment was I was looking for £600+ sound at 50p price at which point I did point out
I was from Yorkshire!  As a former owner of a HiFi shop, he did understand my plight!

At home I have a resurected my NAD 20E's with new ear cups as I found the unit drives a pair of Stax SR 44's (remember those?)
I bought 'as new' from a French village boot fair for 5 Euro's.  Oh, those and for the 'pod' my old faithful Koss PortaPro

But our UK pension budgets are small and I have to remember societies demands that I have even shorter Yorkshire arms and
very deep pockets virtually reaching to my ankles.

So the reviews here of the Lindy's (and derivatives) came as more than interesting reviews and they were at a very tempting price
at £74 new and even more so at £30 buy it now postage paid, especially as they are only a few weeks old.

Initial assessment - thankfully they are nicely run in (old fart advice - never buy new HiFi - you get fed up, disappointed before the edge wears off
and ultra-fi can  be bought for Amazon prices as fashions change).

Back to the plot, the Lindy's (et al)

They are really very very comfortable

They are very engaging

Their sound is in no way 'brittle' as some report not a hint of edge as some report - maybe I am lucky.
The treble is extended and full, in no way overbearing or intrusive.

Mids are detailed and smooth with a warmth that sucks you in making me drift away, not Sennheiser soft
and vocals are on a personal level, YOU are being entertained by the singer.

Bass is deep, detailed and organised. I find no flabbiness or over bearing mind numbing toneless thump.

Imaging, I find it quite superb, instruments are well separated in space floating in and out of their mixed
partnerships but clearly descernible in depth position and detail.

I used Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasure Dome and Lou Reed Transformer
for initial tests the former has dynamics and detail that are often too much for weaker systems in WAV.  

Try; Black Night White Light, on all those Currys 'portable' phones the high treble on this track was a pain,
a muddled pain to say the least.  The Lindy's didn't display the sonic limit breakup anticipated from earlier reports and
the static 'click' reported on the album cover isn't smothered by the ensemble (as it is with many systems).

In the same way I always ask, can you hear the girls walk as they 'advance' to the mike in Walk on the Wild Side?
Can you hear the fingering of the double bass and the the sound of the bass string oscillating against the body of the instrument?
Well, you can with the Lindy's.  Even in MP3

I've been Dazed and Confused for many years but not any more, the bass isn't overpowering nor distorted, it
contains the depth and intended gain recorded into the track MP4 didn't weaken the enjoyment - wow.

One thing that did amaze me was I changed the pads for the shorter version supplied in the box and the 
treble did become harsher and more overbearing, not enough to cause me to criticise them out of hand
but enough for me to change the pads back and think - nope, not again.

Value.  Well, having played with expensive phones (to me) up to £300 a pair and considering they are to be
used for isolated listening with my Fiio, wow, at £74 what a bargain.  At £30 and run in - winner. Flac, WAV, MP3
MP4a, lossless nope, ALL are enjoyable.  And I can't recall when I have been able to say that about ANY phones
I have plugged in.

Occasionally a piece of kit emerges that is simply beyond the sum of it's parts and cost base.  It does
happen that true hi-fi can emerge from the most unanticipated sources.

Winner.  Hi-Fi for £30 Christmas can come twice!

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #3,043 of 3,047
Nice review.. good to know they are comfortable for their size!

I also bagged them for a bargain price of £40 from eBay yesterday :)

I have read enough reviews now so looking forward to hearing them :p

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,044 of 3,047
Congratulations.  Enjoy and report back.

Second winner.  Had to clean the kitchen carpet yesterday and as usual, I was reaching for my ear defenders when
I thought.  'ang on and reached for the Lindy's.

Spent a pleasant hour with Alanis Morissette as she chewed her jagged little pill and whilst my music didn't leak
out, my VAX didn't creep in.

There is always a plus side to housework with good cans and source.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #3,045 of 3,047
Is the fit as tight on these as they are on the Lindy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back