Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI
Mar 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #256 of 272
What's difference between hifiman re600 v2 vs Final audio vi?

I did a mini review in this thread about the III, you have to go back to read it. :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674105/review-final-audio-design-heaven-vi/225#post_13194786

Now after you read about the III, the VI is a step above in every aspect of the III specially in the mids. They are even more forward and clear and the details are clean and clear. Highs are never sibilant and plenty of bass and mid-bass. The highs are comparable between the two. Everything else below the highs is where the real differences are. I like the RE-600's but I LOVE the VI as they are +3 in what they can pull off compared to the III and the III already is pretty fantastic compared to the RE-600.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #266 of 272
  Since you've been talking about amps, I'd like to repost my old post here for those who haven't noticed it:

Firstly, there was a post here by HoodedHoodlum:

"I've noticed that these are very dependent on source output impedance. When using my O2 or my Cayin C5, both of which have very low output impedances (.54 and .32 respectively) the sound is more lush, and what I assume is the intended sound signature. With my OnePlus One, they take on a very trebly character with sparkling highs and less bass quantity. With my Cowon i10 the sound comes very close to the O2 and C5, just with a tad less bass quantity, so the Cowon has an output impedance of just over 2 ohms, like 2.1X. Based on the 1/8th rule, you should use a source with output impedance of 2 ohms or less, especially with these as they are balanced armatures and have impedance swings that affect the frequency response rather greatly. What sources do you guys use?"

My reply:

"I agree with this. LH Labs Geek Out 100 amp+DAC has two output jacks: one with 0.47 ohm and one with 47 ohm output impedance. Heaven VI sounds more thin and trebly on the 47 ohm jack (feels more silent as well) and more lush on the 0.47 ohm jack. A dynamic driver IEM barely changes in terms of sound quality when I try this (the sound is louder on the 0.47 ohm jack). Connected to my laptop Heaven VI sounds thin and to my Note 4 (Exynos with Wolfram WM5110) it sounds lush.

Those who find Heaven VI too trebly or thin should try a lower output impedance source (balanced armature drivers are affected the most by the output impedance of a source, and the 1/8 rule of thumb (or the 1/8th rule) says to use a source that has output impedance lower than 1/8 of the headphone impedance). I use Comply foam tips to avoid vacuum seal issues that could change the sound quality and comfort. I use them reversed to avoid muffling the sound or losing treble due to the foam in front of the tube."

Yup, this is and always will be an issue with BA earphones, especially multi-driver IEMs. BAs do not have a linear impedance, so you're going to get some sort of monkey business if your output impedance is as low as you can get it. With 3+ BA driver IEMs, you're going to encounter at least one of them to have a stupid-low impedance, and that frequency range will sound awful on anything with an output impedance > 0.5 ohms.

With the "16 ohm" Heaven II-VI, you're going to have to use something with an output impedance not exceeding 2 ohms, or it's going to sound a little thin. The impedance is about 16 ohms until 2kHz, where it starts to spike - anything under 2kHz will be heavily damped, and everything above it will be fine. So you'll be left with a thinner sound (bottom left graph):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FinalAudioHeavenII.pdf

The Etymotic ER4XR/SR is actually quite special, because the impedance is high enough that you'll never experience this phenomenon with everyday devices. You'd have to have something with an output impedance greater than 6 ohms for it to start acting up.

I'm using the Heaven VI with a FiiO E12A and am getting that wonderful honey tone without any impediment. I wish I could find FR graphs of this thing, because I would love to know what other headphones have a signature like this.

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #267 of 272
Bought this for 270€ at Amazon warehouse deal and I am very impressed. Beats all the ChiFi up to appr. 200€ I listened to so far.
Nevertheless coming from the high level of the Heaven VI I wish to have a bit more refinement and a little less bass (quantity not quality :wink: and not losing the neutral and mostly balanced tone of the FAD.
Wonder if the Etymotic ER-4SR or ER-4XR would be the right pick for this reference?
Does anyone have these and can please give a comparison to the FAD Heaven VI?

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #268 of 272
^I second that question as I've been eyeing a used 4PT for $170.
Or should I keep fishing around for a H VI?

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #269 of 272
^I second that question as I've been eyeing a used 4PT for $170.
Or should I keep fishing around for a H VI?
I can answer my question by myself. Hope this helps you, too.
I bought the ER-S for 170€ at Ebay and they sound simply amazing. Wonderful natural. With 100 Ohms of course hardly to drive at a mobile phone. I have to use my Benji T6. You notice the difference to the coloured sound of the Heaven VI though these sound for itself very good, too. But in comparison my decision goes clearly to the Etymotic. But for my ears tip dependent. Works for me perfect with the stock foam tips. Ety's are heaven to my ears! :k701smile:

May 19, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #270 of 272
Just bought Heaven VI yesterday after reading many comments from this thread. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back