Review: Final Audio Design Heaven II
Nov 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Review: Final Audio Design Heaven II

Firstly I would like to thank Robin at Hifiheadphones for giving me this sample to review, these are a pre production sample and as such I cannot comment on packaging, or accessories. These received over 50hrs of burn-in and small changes were noted. Usually balances armatures are not prone to burn-in, but these did fill out with burn-in, it could be because of the BAM system they use.
This is FAD's first IEM incorporating their own balanced armature driver designed and built in house.

Gear used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > Heaven II (small silicone tips)

Build quality:
These are the same design as the rest of the Heaven lineup, a small housing, this time made of stainless steel, a flat cable and L jack. The build quality is as good as it always is with the Heaven products, the cable is flat but has great strain relief and feels strong, and the housing is all metal.

Comfort, Isolation, Cable noise and Driver flex:
Comfort is good, these came with only a pair of M silicone tips, so I used some other tips from my collection, a small pair of translucent grey tips. With the right tips I can get a deep yet comfy fit. I used these with the cable over my ear, thus reducing any cable noise.

Isolation differs depending on insertion depth, I like these with a deep insertion, as the housing is slim it will allow for deep insertion. Like this they isolate a lot, and I can see they isolation well with foam tips too. Fine for public transport and fairly noisy locations.

Cable noise is present when worn cable down, you can use the chin slider to help reduce cable noise, or like me wear the cable over ear, like this there is little to no cable noise.

Driver flex is not present as balanced armature drivers don't suffer from this.

Sound:
Split into the usual categories

Lows:
Incorporating FAD's BAM system (interesting system that helps get more energy out of the lows of balanced armature drivers, Balanced Air Movement) these have surprisingly full bodied lows. The main difference from the higher up heaven series is the fullness in the lows, the Heaven VI had more powerful and defined lows, whereas these come over a slight bit lean, but have great detail and control, with speed being another of its strong points. They do have a bit more mid-bass punch than sub-bass rumble, but the extension is still very good for a BA driver. In songs like Angel by Massive Attack, you doent miss out on the pulsating bass line, it is always present, and the articulation and layering is superb. Definitely not for bass heads, but they have a fairly neutral amount of lows, excelling in detail, separation, body and speed.

Mids:
What do you expect from a FAD IEM? Excellent mids of course, and these do not dissapoint. Ok, they may not be as full and lush as the Heaven VI but these cost about 1/5 of the price. The mids are still a fad forward in presentation, with great detail and separation again, but also come across a little dry. They don't quite have the sweet, lush, natural timbre of some of FADs other models. The mids don't suffer from any harshness or sibilance, and you can still tell these belong to the Heavn family. The mids dont come across as lush as some of the higher Heaven models, but do come across clean and clear, vocals both male and female are detailed, electric guitars still have power and crunch, acoustic guitars have great body and decay.

Highs:
A little like the other Heaven series, the highs do lack a little sparkle and energy. They sort of sit back in the mix, just present enough to be heard, but not enough to become very engaging and exciting. The highs are subtle and detailed, never becoming splashy, just a shame they are a little too recessed for my tastes. Taps and crashes of cymbals are well portrayed but too far behind in the mix. This does mean that they don't sound bright, nor fatiguing, but do sound a little boring sometimes. Great for easy listening, not quite so good for critical listening when you need to hear every detail. But for this price I cannot complain.

Soundstage is wide, vocals are intimate and everything come in from around, very convincing stage and imaging. A strong point of the Heaven series.
Instrument separation is also very good, with quite an airy sound, everything is very well separated.
Imaging is very convincing and never sounds artificial.

Overall a great budget offering from Final Audio Design, these are priced around $130 and for that you get the same excellent build quality as the rest of the Heaven series, and just a little less in terms of SQ. These are not quite as refined or full sounding as the Heaven VI, but you can't have everything, and these are killer for the price. The lows are very articulate and almost dynamic like, the mids are slightly forward and detailed, the highs are slightly recessed but controlled. One of the best single armature budget offerings out there! That definitely compete with Shure's SE425 even, these sound superb with Diana Krall in Flac, now missing any body or part of the spectrum.

Its amazing what FAD squeeze out of single armature drivers, these are very sensitive and dont need amping to sound their best (it can help though).

Thanks for reading, comments welcome.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/final-audio-design-man-105.html?osCsid=qv5ub7j48jp50jbu9lkqk9c290

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 75
great and detailed review...how much more upper detail (especially the region where the cymbals reside) do you

think the Heaven VI's convey compared to these? Do the Heaven VI's satisfy this frequency range for you?

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 75
Heaven VI has more detail and better control in the highs, along with a tad more presence. The VI in my opinion is excellent but still doesn't have as much treble energy as I like, but I do like very crisp highs, borderline bright even.

The Heaven II is superb considering the price.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 75
Just put some foam tips that came with my RHA MA-750 on these, wow, these pair excellently with foam tips. The lows become fuller, the highs actually gain better control and realism. The lows are more articulate. Love them with foamies, wonder how they will fair with custom tips.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 75
Go for it, they are excellent. If you can get a pair of foam tips even better.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 75
Changed back to silicone tips, as the foams I had were a little too big for my tiny canals.
These just get better and better, feed them some power and they sound superb, running them through an iFi iTube > iCan > Heaven II and they are amazing. Definitely compete with models at least 2 x their price. The lows have even better body and articulation, dont sound thin or anemic, mids forward as usual with realistic tone and presentation, highs well controlled and defined, dont feel like I'm missing anything in the highs now. A very enjoyable listen, soundstage is huge (even bigger with 3D on iCan activated)

These just keep on surprising me, truely steal for the price. Great for out and about and for at home!

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 75
Somehow I prefer the mid in heaven 2 than heaven 6. I found the mid more natural with very good energy, and full bodied in 2. More bass detail in heaven 2 even though much less impact. Pretty surprise with price vs performance it gives.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 75
Yeah the Heaven II with the right equipment smashes anything in the price range

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 75
Heaven 2 direct to hippo biscuit with 16 bit source wav files sounds amazing. I enjoy it as much as my ath esw11 + a2p tur06 + ak100. You can call me crazy :D

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 75
I totally understand you.
Just had ear impressions done for some custom tips for these. Should arrive next week. Will update with impressions

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 75
Dont know who distributes them in america yet. You can get them on eBay. For $135 they are a steal! Provided you give them ample power.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=final+audio+design+ii

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 75
Nov 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 75
Hello again everyone!

I have been asked by a fellow member to do a quick comparison of the Heaven II vs RHA MA-750, I will write a quick comparison, in won't go into detail just the basics. Also because I dont have either on hand at the moment (Heaven II being fitted with custom tips/MA-750 given to my girlfriend)

First off they are very different IEM's, so neither is better as such.

The MA-750 is warmer, much harder hitting dynamic lows. The mids are affected by this and sound very warm but have good tone. The highs leave a little to be desired, there is a slight hump in the upper mids/lower treble region which some perceive to be harsh. I do not find them harsh, they are laid back and fun to listen to. The soundstage is very wide.

The Heaven II is leaner but more detailed and faster. These dont lack body but dont have the power that the 750's have in the lows, also these dont extend quite as far down. The mids are much cleaner on the Heaven II, also with realistic tone (more so than the 750) the mids are intimate. The highs again leave a little to be desired, but due to the lows of the 750, these dont sound as dark. The highs are more pronounced on the heaven II.

Amping: the MA-750 don't gain much from amping, but as you've all read on the Heaven II review, the Heaven series turn into completely different beasts with good gear. The RHA are stellar for the price, but if you have the right gear the Heaven II will demolish them.

So there we have it, MA-750 warm/dark laid back with wide soundstage
Heaven II balanced with intimate mids but airy sound, good body and SQ with good amping is comparable to IEM's much more expensive.

Thanks for reading!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690903/review-rha-ma-750-one-of-the-best-sub-200-iems-around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back