Review: Fiio E7
Aug 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 548

Quote:
Does anybody know how the E7 compares to the PA2V2?

I had both within a week or 2 of each other.  Of course the PA2V2 is amp only, and it has more power than the E7 as an amp.  The DAC portion of the E7 is very good, but as an amp only, it needs more power, IMO.  The PA2V2 is pretty chunky in size and is not nearly as portable as the E7.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 548

Quote:
The PA2V2 is pretty chunky in size and is not nearly as portable as the E7.
What about sound? Are they comprable or is one better?

Both give a clean sound, but IMO, the PA2V2 gave a fuller sound just due to a having a bit more power.  The E7 is very elegant in size and appearance, but as an amp was too timid for me.  The PA2V2 is bigger, bulkier, rougher looking in comparison, but is pretty powerful for the cost.  An alternative which is both elegant and powerful is the iBasso T3 -- which is also $140 after shipping.  It's a conundrum!

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 548
How does the FiiO E7 compare to the Nuforce uDAC and Icon Mobile. Both go for $99
the uDAC isnt protable but the Icon Mobile is. Both are amp/dac.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #21 of 548

Quote:
How does the FiiO E7 compare to the Nuforce uDAC and Icon Mobile. Both go for $99
the uDAC isnt protable but the Icon Mobile is. Both are amp/dac.

If anyone knows this I would love to hear it too.  Also I noticed someone mentioning the iBasso T3 as an alternative.  I'm curious how it stacks up to the other two as well.  Thanks.  

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 548
Yeah i would like to know how the FiiO E7 compare to Nuforce and iBasso.

Quote:
If anyone knows this I would love to hear it too.  Also I noticed someone mentioning the iBasso T3 as an alternative.  I'm curious how it stacks up to the other two as well.  Thanks.  

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 548

Quote:
I just started using the Fiio E7 myself, my experience has been pretty positive with most phones not all. Grado 325is sound pretty amazing with the E7. Senn 595's not bad. Shure SE 530 not good at all. What are you thoughts on Fiio E7 with Senn 650's?

Ooh. 

What was your source?  Tell us more about the issues with the 530 please.

I just ordered an E7 and I'm running UM re-molded 530s from my iPod Touch line out (currently driven by an iBasso P2). 

I grabbed the E7 so I can use the DAC with my iPad or LOD from the Touch.  Probably still use the P2 at home, but seemed like more flexibility when on the go.

:frowning2:

-john

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 548
I suggest that you save the 99 bucks for now. In all honesty, my M50s sound quite the same (for non-critical listening) from my laptop's headphones jack and through a dedicated DAC with built-in amplifier. This is not a generalisation but merely a subjective observation with my ears and gear a while back.

I don't have an ipod but my mobile phone on the other hand is a different story, although the M50s are considered easy to drive. The difference should be pretty obvious, especially if you get a LOD too. You'll have to really try it out yourself to see if you can tell the difference.

Another question is, will you actually be listening to your ipod through the M50s? Many people here would lug their favourite full-size headphones and all, but not me.

Quote:
They sound the same whether connected to my ipod or my laptop. I really couldn't tell the difference. And I've never amped these phones.

This amplifier is as expensive as my headphones itself
smile_phones.gif
 But I'm thinking that it will be useful when I buy better headphones than ATH-M50s in the future.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 548

Quote:
I suggest that you save the 99 bucks for now. In all honesty, my M50s sound quite the same (for non-critical listening) from my laptop's headphones jack and through a dedicated DAC with built-in amplifier. This is not a generalisation but merely a subjective observation with my ears and gear a while back.

I don't have an ipod but my mobile phone on the other hand is a different story, although the M50s are considered easy to drive. The difference should be pretty obvious, especially if you get a LOD too. You'll have to really try it out yourself to see if you can tell the difference.

Another question is, will you actually be listening to your ipod through the M50s? Many people here would lug their favourite full-size headphones and all, but not me.

Yeah i dont see the point in making the ath-m50 sound better when they are already so easy to drive and work great directly through my ipod. But yeah you are right. I dont use them that often with my ipod anyway. I was just hoping may be something can make the sound from my ipod better than the sound from my laptop as like i said right now I dont find any difference between the two through these cans.

I'll be saving this money and looking for a new pair of headphones soon. May be open kind as I dont have those. I can keep M50s for reference for future closed cans that I might consider
smile_phones.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 548
I own both the AT m50 and E7.  While the m50 was good using my 2 year old HP laptop HPO, it is much better using the E7. Everything is so much clearer. I find myself getting lost in the music much more often then before. The instrument separation is much improved. 

When using the HPO with Flac files I found some songs sounded horrible at louder volumes. They sounded like a "blob" of sound. With the E7 these songs are very clear and enjoyable. One song that comes to mind is Wilco's "You Never Know."

If you listen to a lot of live music the E7 helps a ton. I listen to Ryan Adams and Pearl Jam  concerts all the time.  Often the recordings are not loud enough for me.  The E7 allows the m50 to get loud enough that your ears will be ringing afterward.  I have not noticed distortion at higher levels.

For normal listening using the DAC i usually hover around 30/60 for the volume.  Using my Sansa Fuze Rockbox w/ LOD I'm usually around 40. I don't feel comfortable comparing the Fuze HPO to the E7 because I havn't used the Fuze by itself much.  I would say the the Fuze +LOD +E7 is 90% as good as the DAC, but this could be because of Flac vs V0 MP3.

That brings up a good point. If you do not have high bitrate music and no plans to get some, I'm not sure if the E7 is for you.  I recommend the E7 if you are primarily looking for a DAC. There might be better options if you plan on using it solely as an amp, but i've never heard anything else.   I hope this helps, I'll try to check back to answer any questions, but I try to stay away from this site now that I have this setup.  It's just too dangerous.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 548

It's not hard to make your ipod sound better than your default laptop HPO even with the m50s. There are many ways to do this and as others have mentioned, you'll basically need better quality files, a line out device and an amp.

Maybe the first step you can try is ripping some of the CDs you already own into ALAC and listen for any difference on your two devices if you aren't already listening to lossless. It's the best upgrade you can do for yourself without spending a cent.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I was just hoping may be something can make the sound from my ipod better than the sound from my laptop as like i said right now I dont find any difference between the two through these cans.

I'll be saving this money and looking for a new pair of headphones soon. May be open kind as I dont have those. I can keep M50s for reference for future closed cans that I might consider
smile_phones.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #29 of 548

Well for me i got the FLAC and some decent pair of headphone (m50) and i would like an upgrade, maybe with an amp or dac or speakers, but the best would be upgrading headphones.
Quote:
It's not hard to make your ipod sound better than your default laptop HPO even with the m50s. There are many ways to do this and as others have mentioned, you'll basically need better quality files, a line out device and an amp.

Maybe the first step you can try is ripping some of the CDs you already own into ALAC and listen for any difference on your two devices if you aren't already listening to lossless. It's the best upgrade you can do for yourself without spending a cent.
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 548
I wouldn't venture so far as to declare any upgrade decision as "best" but I sure am enjoying my W1000x much more than my m50s.
o2smile.gif

The problem however is that the m50s sound pretty close to the W1000x without any dedicated DAC nor amp. Eventually, you'll want to get an amp and DAC if you're still not satisfied. It's sort of a chicken-and-egg problem to me. I'd still want to get a DAC/amp anyways if I were you, if only to see how much more I can get out of the m50s.

Back on the topic, has anyone compared the amp stages of the E5 and E7?

Quote:
Well for me i got the FLAC and some decent pair of headphone (m50) and i would like an upgrade, maybe with an amp or dac or speakers, but the best would be upgrading headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back