Review: Fashion vs. Function-Phiaton MS400, B&W P5, Monster Beats Solo, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB700, HD25-1
Feb 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #61 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

To note, although the two look almost like twins lost at birth, the TMA doesn't sound like the HD25 at all. It's funny but I often say that the TMA-1 is what the HD25 would have been if Sennheiser made it... And before you say anything yes I know the Hd25 was made by Senn. It just doesn't sound like it was: it's forward sound is a bit of a departure from the typical Senn consumer house sound. By the way I winder why the HD25 is included in this lineup, it is neither Particularly bassy nor a fashionista phone by any stretch.

Ironically that is why I like the TMA-1s... I've been a Senn user for a while and I love their sound... It also helps that TMA-1 responds well to EQing... My friend has a pair of HD25s, When I see her we'll probably do comparisons :) I might even consider buying them after I audition them properly... 

We can do comparisons any time man! I'd love to hear the TMA-1's :)

Nice write-up as usual Joker!

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #62 of 187

Quote:
I think you are right in saying that they are similar in balance but whereas the XB500 sounds smooth and warm and starts to roll off in the treble, the Crossfades manage to be equally muddy despite being more neutral in tone (with better treble presence) and more textured which is quite a feat. Personally I like the XB500/700 both more than the Crossfades but if I were ranking them on technical ability I would put the crossfades just above the XB500 (w/flat EQ).

Thanks for the reply, I think I know what you mean as I've tried for example D1100 which has slightly greater treble presence and sounds possibly slightly like having better tonal balance with flat EQ but still manages to have worse quality mids and highs in my ears. You can't change the quality of the mids and highs in a headphone, only just bring them more forward or not by EQing and then it doesn't help much balancing them out if "under the shell" is of bad quality. So I suppose while it may be even slightly better balanced the quality is worse compared to XB500 so EQing XB500 helps a lot more than EQing the Crossfades does as on XB500 I don't think it's the sound quality that is the prob for the slightly "muddy" or smooth sound with a flat EQ setting but the unbalanced frequency response (excessive upper bass & slightly veiled highs), as EQing totally changes that. XB500 of the headphones I've tried so far responds best to EQing, goes from like $50 to $200 headphone with proper EQing using a good quality EQ while I could "only" turn the big brother XB700 into a "$150" headphone. :p

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #63 of 187
Man, someone convince me NOT to buy the Phiatons. I've been eyeing them for weeks now, and the fact that they're on sale on amazon is NOT HELPING. Why do I not want to buy them you ask? BECAUSE I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF WESTONE 3 IEMs. I just want something fun to listen to on the go when I don't feel like spending literally minutes jamming those into my ears while I walk to the bus stop.

Okay more serious now...very simple question. From the reviews I've read, it seems that the Phiatons have enough bass to smash your face in, but are relatively good overall cans. Is that an accurate way to summarize them? Are there any cheaper sets with that same sound characteristic?

Oh yeah, I'm not looking for "reference grade" for my next set. More or less just looking for a fun set for a more "urban" playlist I've been running recently, and wearing my k271s outside gets me some awkward stares. That, and plus they're not great at all coming straight out of a DAP.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #64 of 187
Even a Panasonic RP-HTX7 would suffice once you get used to it unamplified. There is an abundance of 'fun' headphones in the market among which the AKG K81/518 are very interesting...

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #65 of 187
Great job!

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #66 of 187

Quote:
Okay more serious now...very simple question. From the reviews I've read, it seems that the Phiatons have enough bass to smash your face in, but are relatively good overall cans.

That sounds about right, and there are several modifications you can do to tame the bass. Raising the pads with cotton or taping over some holes on the inside, for example. And I know, I'm not helping to discourage you at all. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #67 of 187

Quote:
Even a Panasonic RP-HTX7 would suffice once you get used to it unamplified. There is an abundance of 'fun' headphones in the market among which the AKG K81/518 are very interesting...

Would you say the Panny's and the Phiatons are comparative? lol I just recently gave up on the idea of getting them (have been searching for light-weight, comfortable, great-sounding, isolating, circumaurals for a while) in order to just save up for the Phiatons. But hey, if these are comparative in any shape or form, soundwise, it'd save me a boatload of money. I know they're both a bit bass-heavy. From what I heard the Panny's have good treble, detail, and reasonable soundstage but lack in the midrange. They also have a bit of sibilance (but I'm assuming that gets better with burn in). I'm guessing the Phiatons have a more refined sig?

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud/in text. If anyone whose heard these two and can compare them A/B style, that would be much appreciated. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #68 of 187
Hello, I've read the review and I thought it was great since lately I've been thinking in buying a new pair of headphones. After reading the review I was convinced that the hd-25 i were the best choice, however when I saw the price I thought that it was a bit steep compared with   the hd-25 sp or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 price which are on a more affordable range . So my question is¿How the hd-25 sp or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ranks up against the other headphones in this review, especially the hd-25 i?¿Is it whorth to pay the extra money considering that the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 cost 150 dollars on amazon, the hd25sp cost 130 dollars versus the 200 dollars that the hd-25 i cost?. Finally I would like to know if anyone here knows about a good dealer that sells the afromentioned headphones in the Los Angeles/west hollywood area.
I know it's a lot of questions but any advice or recommendation are welcomed.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #69 of 187

Quote:
Hello, I've read the review and I thought it was great since lately I've been thinking in buying a new pair of headphones. After reading the review I was convinced that the hd-25 i were the best choice, however when I saw the price I thought that it was a bit steep compared with   the hd-25 sp or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 price which are on a more affordable range . So my question is¿How the hd-25 sp or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ranks up against the other headphones in this review, especially the hd-25 i?¿Is it whorth to pay the extra money considering that the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 cost 150 dollars on amazon, the hd25sp cost 130 dollars versus the 200 dollars that the hd-25 i cost?. Finally I would like to know if anyone here knows about a good dealer that sells the afromentioned headphones in the Los Angeles/west hollywood area.

I think what it really comes down to is what you are using them for. Will you be on the go? The HD-25's are so pricey because they are the total package. Extremely portable, while having comparable, detailed sound (and isolation) to full-size headphones. The M50's are more bass-heavy while also having great details in the mids and highs; they also have great soundstage (the HD-25's don't have much soundstage but they do have depth). However, the M50's are bulkier. I've seen them used as portables but I myself wouldn't use them on the go. That's where the HD-25's shine.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt. Personally, the SQ on both of these headphones is quite awesome.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #70 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

I think what it really comes down to is what you are using them for. Will you be on the go? The HD-25's are so pricey because they are the total package. Extremely portable, while having comparable, detailed sound (and isolation) to full-size headphones. The M50's are more bass-heavy while also having great details in the mids and highs; they also have great soundstage (the HD-25's don't have much soundstage but they do have depth). However, the M50's are bulkier. I've seen them used as portables but I myself wouldn't use them on the go. That's where the HD-25's shine.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt. Personally, the SQ on both of these headphones is quite awesome.

I would be transporting them, but not using them on the move, in other words I don't listen to music when I'm on the bus/metro/public transportation, but I will carry it from home to work and viceversa, using It on a quiet to semi noisy enviroment, but I won't be wearing them when conmuting so size in a certain way doesn't matter.
When you refer to the hd-25¿Do you refer to the hd-25-1, hd-25-1 ii,  hd-25sp ii or hd-25 ? Because the model nomenclature confuses me. Finally I might add that this will be my first  "real" headphones, so I'm really looking for a pair that satisfies me and won't make me think that I spent 150 dollars on a piece of junk.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #71 of 187
Quote:
Quote:

Would you say the Panny's and the Phiatons are comparative? lol I just recently gave up on the idea of getting them (have been searching for light-weight, comfortable, great-sounding, isolating, circumaurals for a while) in order to just save up for the Phiatons. But hey, if these are comparative in any shape or form, soundwise, it'd save me a boatload of money. I know they're both a bit bass-heavy. From what I heard the Panny's have good treble, detail, and reasonable soundstage but lack in the midrange. They also have a bit of sibilance (but I'm assuming that gets better with burn in). I'm guessing the Phiatons have a more refined sig?

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud/in text. If anyone whose heard these two and can compare them A/B style, that would be much appreciated. 
beerchug.gif

I have to disappoint you, I never listened to music with any Phiaton headphone. Of course the Panasonic is not on the same level, but that gives it some advantages:
1. It is cheap so it is replaceable and damage does not scare you;
2. The RP-HTX7 looks kind of cool;
3. The RP-HTX7 in question benefits from amplification etcetera ;
4. It is so easy to take a part and so simply put together that modifications are at least worth a try. 

Do you understand my reasoning now?

My two cents, the K181 DJ if you can live with its clamping force and size. It has normal and large bass extension and still sounds clear enough to make you enjoy complex music. For the low prices it is sometimes offered it is a steal. Especially if you consider the cable is upgradeable and its sound signature is already quite good with the stock cable. 

Good luck anyway...

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #72 of 187
the RP-HTX7s are decent for the price and easily modable. Phiatons though are considered overall superior. I'm pretty certain they have better fidelity, but as I have not heard them I cannot say for sure. The Panas are also not so bad with sibilance after a good burn in, and a simple tape mod.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #73 of 187
Quote:
You can't change the quality of the mids and highs in a headphone, only just bring them more forward or not by EQing and then it doesn't help much balancing them out if "under the shell" is of bad quality.

Yep, very well-put, which is why it always puzzles me when people use phrases like 'EQ for clarity'. Usually I just assume they are adding treble for a brighter sound...

Quote:
Okay more serious now...very simple question. From the reviews I've read, it seems that the Phiatons have enough bass to smash your face in, but are relatively good overall cans. Is that an accurate way to summarize them? Are there any cheaper sets with that same sound characteristic?

Does it help if I say that they are not bass monsters? There are headphones, namely those with exaggerated subbass response, that give me bass headaches after a while (e.g. M-Audio Q40) but the MS400 I can listen to for hours. They are on the bass-heavy side but if Phiaton marketed them as 'extreme bass' or something of that sort I'd have been forced to say that they missed the mark.

I think the Creative Aurvana Live! is a cheaper (but also less portable) alternative for the same general signature though they are pricier now than they have been in quite some time.

Quote:
I would be transporting them, but not using them on the move, in other words I don't listen to music when I'm on the bus/metro/public transportation, but I will carry it from home to work and viceversa, using It on a quiet to semi noisy enviroment, but I won't be wearing them when conmuting so size in a certain way doesn't matter. When you refer to the hd-25¿Do you refer to the hd-25-1, hd-25-1 ii,  hd-25sp ii or hd-25 ? Because the model nomenclature confuses me. Finally I might add that this will be my first  "real" headphones, so I'm really looking for a pair that satisfies me and won't make me think that I spent 150 dollars on a piece of junk.

If you won't be using them on the move, the portability and isolation of the HD25 probably aren't strictly necessary for you - a folding DJ can like the M50 or any of the Ultrasones would do fine. In the LA area you may want to visit DXC store in culver. They are a head-fi sponsor and usually have a decent selection on display, though you'd probably still want to buy whatever you decide on online.

As for all of the model numbers, the mark II designation simply refers to a different set of accessories included while the HD25-1 and HD25SP are actually different headphones. By all accounts the SP sounds worse than the HD25-1 though I have no idea what the actual differences are.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #74 of 187
See, I'm looking for something like my k271, but more bass. Will the phiatons fit the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Does it help if I say that they are not bass monsters? There are headphones, namely those with exaggerated subbass response, that give me bass headaches after a while (e.g. M-Audio Q40) but the MS400 I can listen to for hours. They are on the bass-heavy side but if Phiaton marketed them as 'extreme bass' or something of that sort I'd have been forced to say that they missed the mark.

I think the Creative Aurvana Live! is a cheaper (but also less portable) alternative for the same general signature though they are pricier now than they have been in quite some time.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #75 of 187
Quote:
See, I'm looking for something like my k271, but more bass. Will the phiatons fit the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Ever considered AKG's own K181 DJ? Clarity and bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back