[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Jun 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 183
Quote:
You're ONLY going to be driving for the next 40+ years, it's totally smart to go all at it the first week
wink.gif

right, unless you do 120mph like me and almost kill your passengers.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 183
Nice review, I agree that they are very detailed, love mine for classical music, but I need to sell my HF5 as im awaiting more earphones soon. I dont think i'll miss them though

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #20 of 183
Shame to hear you're parting with them. But it's completely understandable. There will always be better IEMs than the HFs and there will always be the time when you must part with them. Unfortunately, I have psychologically parted with them already. I haven't used them since the date of this review!

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #21 of 183
at the moment i have a pair of Shure SE425 on loan from Shure and find them a lot more enjoyable with as much detail, but in a more fun package. I am also getting Rockit sounds R-50 which should be good, and Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII, so no need for the HF5 anymore.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #23 of 183
Yes they do have a very unique sound signature.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #25 of 183
Between the two? Identical? If not, my ears certainly cannot tell any difference. Maybe the HF5 might be a bit more larger and spread out due to its increased bass over the ER4?

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #26 of 183
Great, thanks. Mine are coming in today. I've dealt with enough IEMs to have a good idea of what these will be like, and I'm looking forward to them. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is I've heard these have a closed/narrow soundstage, but then I heard they are kind of "airy," which confuses me a bit.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #27 of 183
Many would say closed/narrow soundstage, but to my ears it sounds very realistic and well spread apart for classical music. There is an airy presentation, but it's due to its cold and quick delivery.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 183
Sounds like something I can contend with. I just don't get how something could have a closed soundstage, yet be airy. I need to brush up on my terms. I was thinking that "air" was related to soundstage by giving the imaging some width. I don't want an over the top soundstage, rather something realistic.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 183
Got the HF5s in and I've been running them through the paces. I'm seriously impressed. I find them pretty comfortable with the tips that came on them. These are extremely precise and accurate, and I don't find the bass to be lacking, rather very true to the music. I love the slight coldness to them, but it's not desolate sounding, there's still a tinge of warmth that's balancing. I'm going to run these in some more, but I really dig these so far.  The balance of the treble, mids, and lows is superb. 

I'm calling these my Samurais. They cut through music like a freakin' Katana.

P.S. These are also a great way to clean your ears. 
cool.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #30 of 183
Glad you're enjoying them. I find things to be "airy" when the delivery is the opposite of being heavy and/or full sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back