[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #32 of 183
I can't believe how much I'm liking the HF5 again.  I gave them to my sister about a year ago and then I borrowed them a few days ago now she's not getting them back :wink:.  I'm not a total jerk I am giving her my XBA-1 in return also she's not into it like me so she doesn't really care as long as she has something that sounds good.

The soundstage is much better than I remember but thats because of the player I was using back then (Sony S series), my phone and Fuze give the soundstage much more width and depth and they sound more cohesive over all.  The HF5 is a very good IEM and I only payed $95 for them which is a great deal.  I'm liking them as much as my 2 favorite IEM's (R-50 & TF10) and for me at least they work great with edm like trance, house and techno.  The bass is great through my little FiiO E6 and you can hear little things that with the TF10 you might miss, just a very solid IEM.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #34 of 183
Yeah I forgot just how accurate these are and I like them a little more than my PFE112 because they're more musical and not so analytical.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 183
Quote:
Yeah I forgot just how accurate these are and I like them a little more than my PFE112 because they're more musical and not so analytical.

Odd, people including myself would describe the HF5 as the IEM that is less musical to the PFE112. The PFE112 is more fuller, musical, and more fun sounding while the HF5 is more serious, detailed, and precise.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #36 of 183
I haven't tried the PFE112, so I can't compare. But I have found that the HF5 warm up a bit and get a little more musical through my iPhone 4 rather my computer. However, I really like the natural coolness and precision of them. They also respond really well to EQing, although I normally don't EQ.

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 183
I noticed that as well with my iPhone, even though my Hifiman is my main portable player now. You should consider getting a small amp for it if you haven't done so yet. Smoothens out the mids more and more bass body, which is very good

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #38 of 183
Well the only filters I have are the grey ones which make them sound the brightest (I have no clue what happened to the black ones).  I'm going to listen to a mixed album with the HF5 then the 112 so I can compare them head to head.  I really would like to get the green filters to see how that sounds.  I'm loving the HF5's though but thats always the case when you get a new pair of IEM's (well in my case getting them back).

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #40 of 183
Having owned the ER4Ps for a couple of years now and having had them repaired once already, the recent problems (cable seems to have disconnected from the driver on the right side again) made me re-think about the ER4Ps. I just couldn't justify the cost if they needed repairs regularly.

I was also never a fan of the way the cables jutted out away from the driver on the ER4P. I think that may have even contributed to the repeated problems I've had during storage as pressure is applied at an odd angle. Anyway, after reading through the ratings of all current IEMs posted on headfi.org, I realised that the HF5 were right up there in bang for buck. And I get to keep the beloved Ety sound.

@PlanX - Your review is spot on - I've done some side by sides over the last couple of days and the HF5s are definitely a fuller overall sound, with a slightly fuller bass but losing almost nothing of the gobs of detail you get from the ER4Ps.

Some more plusses for the HF5:

• Much less microphonics from the cable;
  • Better cable - it's slightly stiffer and lighter so much more practical for everyday/commuter use - I know all about twisted cables and capacitance effects but the milliwatts involved in an IEM make it more black magic than good science;
  • Much nicer structural design - worn down, the cable sits nicely down the chinline. No more "hey mate - why's that wire sticking out your ear??!!"
  • Longevity - I think with the cables coming out of the side of the driver tube at right angles makes them less likely to have problems during storage. My ER4Ps broke twice in 5 years - the same problem each time.
  • Sound is damn near as good as the ER4Ps for half the price. And they have a more engaging sound.

Some negatives:

1. I loved the fact that the ER4Ps were designed and built in the US. I think the Etys lose something by doing so. But if you're gonna copy the ER4Ps as much as possible, at a lower price, then the country famous for its copies and knock-offs is your only option.
  2. The drivers aren't tuned like the ER4Ps are. Again, something about the human element involved in the finishing stage of production that I loved about the ER4Ps.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #41 of 183
Having owned the ER4Ps for a couple of years now and having had them repaired once already, the recent problems (cable seems to have disconnected from the driver on the right side again) made me re-think about the ER4Ps. I just couldn't justify the cost if they needed repairs regularly.

I was also never a fan of the way the cables jutted out away from the driver on the ER4P. I think that may have even contributed to the repeated problems I've had during storage as pressure is applied at an odd angle. Anyway, after reading through the ratings of all current IEMs posted on headfi.org, I realised that the HF5 were right up there in bang for buck. And I get to keep the beloved Ety sound.

@PlanX - Your review is spot on - I've done some side by sides over the last couple of days and the HF5s are definitely a fuller overall sound, with a slightly fuller bass but losing almost nothing of the gobs of detail you get from the ER4Ps.

Some more plusses for the HF5:

1. Much less microphonics from the cable;
  2. Better cable - it's slightly stiffer and lighter so much more practical for everyday/commuter use - I know all about twisted cables and capacitance effects but the milliwatts involved in an IEM make it more black magic than good science;
  3. Much nicer structural design - worn down, the cable sits nicely down the chinline. No more "hey mate - why's that wire sticking out your ear??!!"
  4. Longevity - I think with the cables coming out of the side of the driver tube at right angles makes them less likely to have problems during storage. My ER4Ps broke twice in 5 years - the same problem each time.
  5. Sound is damn near as good as the ER4Ps for half the price. And they have a more engaging sound.

Some negatives:

• I loved the fact that the ER4Ps were designed and built in the US. I think the Etys lose something by doing so. But if you're gonna copy the ER4Ps as much as possible, at a lower price, then the country famous for its copies and knock-offs is your only option.
  • The drivers aren't tuned like the ER4Ps are. Again, something about the human element involved in the finishing stage of production that I loved about the ER4Ps.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review and give me opinions as well. Yes, I do think the HFs are structurally more advanced because they are from
the 21st century, while the ER4 still uses 20th century design. I haven't had a single problem yet and I'm hoping I won't because I use the ER4S for home use only with portable use very rarely. The reason why I love the ER4 so much is because there's this "vintage" feel I get from older products only. It reminds me of my K141 from 1970s that is still in use today (I am not from the 70s lol. I just happen to own a headphone much, much older than me).

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #42 of 183
hi guys! i have a quick question about the er-4p in-ears

so here's the thing: recently, my sennheiser cx880 broke. that being said, now i'm looking for some new in-ears and i'm quite willing to perhaps spend a little more money on those if that means that i can REALLY enjoy the music. so lately i've stumbled across the etymotic er-4p and all its positive reviews. however, many seem to be a bit unhappy with the bass so i'd just like to ask you if it really is THAT weak. see, i don't listen to techno or hiphop or whatnot and i'm by no means a bass-addict, but listening to, say, nine inch nails or thom yorke does require a certain minimum amount of...don't know...'bass impact' or whatever you call it (sorry for the non-technical terms, i'm really not an expert^^). however, apart from that, i listen a lot to classical music as well, so i'm really trying to find a nice pair of in-ears that can handle both types of music as well as possible. with that in mind, would you still recommend the er-4p?

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 183
I would highly recommend them.

Those that say it has no bass, have either an improper fit or are bassheads who cannot appreciate the true reproduction of music. The bass is very realistic, not inflated.

But, If you would like to turn the bass up a notch... Look up the NRB Mod in my Sig.

Cheers, Jim

hi guys! i have a quick question about the er-4p in-ears
so here's the thing: recently, my sennheiser cx880 broke. that being said, now i'm looking for some new in-ears and i'm quite willing to perhaps spend a little more money on those if that means that i can REALLY enjoy the music. so lately i've stumbled across the etymotic er-4p and all its positive reviews. however, many seem to be a bit unhappy with the bass so i'd just like to ask you if it really is THAT weak. see, i don't listen to techno or hiphop or whatnot and i'm by no means a bass-addict, but listening to, say, nine inch nails or thom yorke does require a certain minimum amount of...don't know...'bass impact' or whatever you call it (sorry for the non-technical terms, i'm really not an expert^^). however, apart from that, i listen a lot to classical music as well, so i'm really trying to find a nice pair of in-ears that can handle both types of music as well as possible. with that in mind, would you still recommend the er-4p?

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #44 of 183
Quote:
I would highly recommend them.
Those that say it has no bass, have either an improper fit or are bassheads who cannot appreciate the true reproduction of music. The bass is very realistic, not inflated.
But, If you would like to turn the bass up a notch... Look up the NRB Mod in my Sig.
Cheers, Jim

So, if we listened to Grand Funk Railroad, the bass will sound just like Mel Schacter played it?

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #45 of 183
Well??? I don't know who that is?

All I can say is: I'm Your Captain and I'm Getting Closer To My Home...

The over ten minute version of course !!!

LOLz, Jim

So, if we listened to Grand Funk Railroad, the bass will sound just like Mel Schacter played it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back