Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #121 of 686
Just placed an order for the bax. Can't wait to try this puppy out. Thanks to everybody for posting their impressions - I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what to expect (a bit of tangling, but otherwise invisible).

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #122 of 686
  I have a very dumb question. I just received this cable in the 2 pins. Each side is labelled with a blue and red dot to denote left and right. Does it matter which way the pins go in? Should the dots be facing upwards (towards me)?

Usually with other cables, it's easy to tell, because you can follow the correct direction of the memory wire/ear guard. But since this cable has no memory wire, it's harder to tell.

Thanks!

The convention is that the dots face upward toward the sky.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #124 of 686
  The dot is positive polarity, most monitors have positive polarity facing upwards as noted, however a few may have the polarities reversed.

Yes, you're correct --- the Triple.Fi 10 has flipped polarity for the left earpiece, IIRC. Earsonics SM series has polarity flipped for both the left and right sides. These are the two most prominent examples. However, most companies elect to follow convention and so positive legs are above ground.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #125 of 686
Any updates on durability issues or lack thereof? Mine is on the way, but thought I'd ask. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #127 of 686
I have had mine for over 3 weeks and it seems pretty resilient. But I have decided to part with them because I find my Shure cable (without the memory wires) pretty comfortable and I have a two pairs of them. I solely used the BaX since I got them, until I put them up for sale yesterday because they were so ergonomic. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #128 of 686
I received the replacement Eston BaX cable but it had the same issues with the left earpiece disconnecting when I moved.

Sadly, the MMCX connector has once again ruined my experience with a custom cable.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #129 of 686
I've finally received those Linum cables from Colsan Micro Electronics. I have Vocal and BaX - dual twist. Tried them with Alclair RSM Quad. Don't hear any difference between them and also when compared with stock cable.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #130 of 686
My BAX just came today.  As others have mentioned they are REALLY comfortable.  I also like the very small 3.5mm jack--very case-friendly.

I am using them on my old UE10Pros.  I probably don't have a good enough source to pick up a difference in sound, but the difference in comfort is pretty big.

By the way, the 2 pin is not designed for recessed sockets like my UE10s, but it was really easy to trim with an exacto knife to get it to fit. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #131 of 686
I've finally received those Linum cables from Colsan Micro Electronics. I have Vocal and BaX - dual twist. Tried them with Alclair RSM Quad. Don't hear any difference between them and also when compared with stock cable.

I don't hear a difference either dude. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #132 of 686
  I've just taken delivery of a 2 Pin Linum cable from Cosmic Ears, today.

First impressions:

1. The pictures and descriptions really do not adequately express just how thin this cable is.
2. It is extremely comfortable. The minute you put it round your ears, you forget it is there.
3. Removes the need for memory wire or ear-guides.
4. Fit was perfect in both CIEM's I tried it in (Cosmic Ears HY3 and Cosmic Ears reshelled TF10) and not loose in any way - I do not have any universal fit IEM's with a 2 pin socket to try it with.
5. Absolutely no cable microphonics. The outer sleeve of the cable is both soft and flexible.
6. Sound seems to be unaltered from other cables I have (with the exception of the Dark Lord cable I have for my TF10, which continues to have a sound all of its own)

This cable has essentially made all my other CIEM cables redundant.

Next up, is to see if I can obtain an MMCX connector variant of this cable, as I would dearly love to replace the cable on my UE900 with one of these Linum cables.

Just to follow up on this, I received the MMCX variant from Colsan Micro last week for my UE900. They have transformed the wearability of the UE900 and brought the same comfort and benefits as the 2 pin version did that I got from Cosmic Ears.

One thing to note is that the Cosmic Ears version of the cables has been customised slightly in that there is a curve in the end of the cables where they join the connectors, that enables them to even more easily, curve round the ears. Not that there is an issue with the standard cable supplied by the distributor, but it's just a thoughtful addition from Cosmic Ears to the standard Linum cable.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #133 of 686
I tried to change my order from the bax to the music version after reading the article on Headfonia, which said the bax version tangled up a lot. Not sure if I sent it in time...ICosmic Ears doesn't sell the mmcx version on their site, but I was thinking these cables would go well with the new V-Sonics.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #134 of 686
Cosmic Ears told me that the vocal and music version tangle more than the bax - does this make sense? I could have sworn that it was those two models that have the anti-tangle feature...anyways, they still haven't shipped it yet afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back