[Review] EQu parametric EQ for the iPodtouch/iPhone/iPad
Dec 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

shigzeo

The Hiss King

This is a paraphrase of my full EQu review at TouchMyApps

I can only state that I am 100% satisfied by this 3$ application. Two weeks ago, I wasn't as I could only navigate songs in alphabetical order out of my entire collection and I couldn't listen to songs back to back whilst using other apps. 

EQu in its current form doesn't distort, (mostly) preserves dynamic range, is 100% user-editable, and simply outclasses everything stock that comes with most players. Rub your finger up or down to adjust overall gain, add hundreds of frequency plots, and altogether, rock your iDevice. Regarding dynamic range, I think anyone who enjoys the sound of Sony's EQ will be happy: it is slightly compressed, but for people who think that Sony do a good job with EQ, it is of higher quality, though results in a similar, nice-sounding soft EQ when heavily tweaked.

Why this has rocked my socks off is that my old EQ monsters: iPod nano 1G Rockboxed, hisses too much for sensitive earphones and I simply hate the Sansa Fuze, rockboxed or not. This allows me to keep my iPod touch 4G, a unit that is unequalled in clean signal, blaring music out exactly as I like. 

I am not a huge EQ user, but when I find the right setting, addiction sets in. 

Again, this is a paraphrase of my full EQu review at TouchMyApps

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 92
I might pull the trigger on this EQu thing.I'd just like to know the battery life impact it has versus unequalized music playback. I use an iPhone 3GS with the Mophie Juice Pack Air.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 92
I've not done extensive tests and considering that my used iPod touch 4G came in pretty poor shape, I wouldn't be able to say how much the life goes down. I spent about 3 hours listening to it today with eQU and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure it takes some processing power, but I'm also sure that I'll still get at least 10 hours of mixed use with it. That is about half of what I'd usually get, but I'm not complaining.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 92
Thanks, i think i'll go for it. It might be useful for some tiny tweaks when needed even if i'm a no eq man. A little offtopic how do you find the Touch 4G SQ ? I had a the chance to listen briefly one it sounded pretty similar to my 2009 iPod Classic. Just a tad behind the iPhones overall authority.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 92
You know, the iPod touch 4G actually drives earphones better than its predecessors and seems a bit more beefy in the low end. Overall, I think it stacks well at the top of the mass market heap, especially now that I can really tailor the sound to my my liking. I tend not to use EQ, but since rekindling a love with the CK10, I find that a bit more, shall we say, 'warm love', is necessary.

Roll off the signal like a Hifiman and the CK10 are nice nice nice with it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 92
I am comparing EQu with Equalizer now (both good apps, each with different target markets) for good measure. Only recently have either become really useful for music listeners as previously they were like using prototype DAP's from 'audiophile' companies out of China. Nothing against China or audiophiles, but everything against the two put together in a rushed hodgepodge of misshapen marketing and technology.

Both work well now, but EQu is a much more complete app that feels, looks, and acts whole. Equalizer may be more true to high end demands (maybe), but it feels and works like a puzzle. I hope it gets a massive overhaul because at heart, it is a good app.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 92
Hi Shigzeo
would this application help in imparting a thicker/warmer/timbre like ( not as much as to a sony level ) tone to the sound sig. while maintaining clarity?

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 92
Bought this app as soon as I got my 32GB 4th gen Touch for Christmas and I love it. Combined with the warmer and more musical sound quality inherent to the new Touch (my old second gen touch, by comparison, sounds rather sterile and clinical), it blows just about every other music player I have out of the water including my rockboxed Fuze (I still love it for its flexibility and portability though). EQu is a wonderful little app that does just about everything I could possibly ask for in regards to letting me tailor the sound quality to my personal tastes. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 92
Im using "Equalizer" now with the 2G Touch and IMO I would put the SQ ahead of the clip+ rockboxed (which i felt added a harsh graininess to some vocals, particularly to mid centric iems like the re-zeros).
I find the 3 band v2.11 is more stable on the 2G than the current 4 band v2.16.
Of cause if you are using a 3gs or 4g you will get 7 bands.
I agree with shigzeo about the app being puzzle like (almost like a game, but not)
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 92
Thanks for the review!  You mention that pulling the headphone plug out does not switch the player off.  I actually find this to be one of my favourite things about the iphone because I can store my earphones and switch the player off at the same time without taking my phone out of my pocket - lazy I know.  Is there a way to switch this off so it reverts to the normal behaviour of the built in ipod app?

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 92

... it blows just about every other music player I have out of the water including my rockboxed Fuze ...

Agreed and after experiencing EQu's performance I think the search for reasonably-priced high-end portable performance will soon begin and end with a late-model iDevice running EQu (along with a set of quality IEM's.) Once this offering becomes more well known I think it will be a game-changer.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 92
The only problem with either app, really, is that they drain the battery. The EQu drains about half or so, maybe less, and Equalizer about the same. Equalizer has the advantage of being able to play over your iPod library in 'direct' mode, as a sound layer. EQu isn't quite as accurate, but I prefer it hands down. Equalizer will be getting a review soon, too.

Overall, I much much prefer the iPod touch 4G to any of my other portables now. I love my Nano 1G for its rockbox suport, but I get about 5 hours of battery life with it and I've only 1GB internal storage. 

My iPod touch only has 8GB of storage, so my most important apps and music share very limited space, but I love it.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 92

Quote:
The only problem with either app, really, is that they drain the battery. The EQu drains about half or so, maybe less, and Equalizer about the same. Equalizer has the advantage of being able to play over your iPod library in 'direct' mode, as a sound layer. EQu isn't quite as accurate, but I prefer it hands down. Equalizer will be getting a review soon, too.

Overall, I much much prefer the iPod touch 4G to any of my other portables now. I love my Nano 1G for its rockbox suport, but I get about 5 hours of battery life with it and I've only 1GB internal storage. 

My iPod touch only has 8GB of storage, so my most important apps and music share very limited space, but I love it.

There is an iDevice app (requires jailbreak) that will measure current draw under various conditions. It shows the draw of EQu to be about 68 ma and the native player app to be about 51 ma, so EQu draws about 30% more (this is with an iPhone 4.) However considering that battery life is already quite good for low-power tasks like playing music I don't find the 30% hit to be troublesome. In fact, considering how this app just transforms the player I wouldn't care if it was a 60% hit. It's simply worth it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 92
^^ Very true - it is worth it. My iPod touch gets about 12 hours of battery life when using EQu, but again, it was bought in bad condition on a promise that didn't show up. I have no idea how well a well-kept iPod touch 4G should last. Mine does get warm to the touch when using EQu. But, the excellent control is worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back