[Review] Encore mDSD (dac/amp) - a new pocket rocket to make you hum
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #121 of 130
I just bought an mdsd. It does not work for me with windows. I can not find any drivers anywhere. No luck with my android phone either. It improves sound quite a bit but I get this horrible stutter ever 10-20 seconds.
Send me a pm with your email and I can send you the v1.1 drivers.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #122 of 130
Hi guys, I was wondering if this dac supports MQA unfolding as well? I asked this to Encore team and their response is here:

"The Tidal software player can decode MQA and will send the digital audio via PCM to the Encore mDSD, so you should have no problems listening to your MQA albums this way. There is no plan to upgrade the mDSD for native MQA decoding, which will likely not bring any sonic benefits.
Best Regards"

So, does this mean that it should support it?

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #123 of 130
Leaving out my personal misgivings on MQA... I think you have a misunderstanding on how mqa works as Encore's response tells you everything you need to know. MQA is just a format. Almost all file formats are decoded in some manner into a "machine language" for lack of a better phrase. The dac doesn't care if it's mp3 or m4a or flac or mqa, it's only sees the decoded data. Things may possibly change when you start climbing into the higher tiers of dac craziness, but here in the sub-100 realm all the fiddly stuff happens in software before it even touches the dac.

Tidal supports MQA. The dac doesn't care.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #124 of 130
Guys, I just ordered the Encore mDSD for my laptop! It's on 50% sale in Sweden, so couldn't resist.

I hope the Encore would be a good replacement for my Dragonfly Black v1.2 as a daily driver.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #125 of 130
Hi guys, I was wondering if this dac supports MQA unfolding as well? I asked this to Encore team and their response is here:

"The Tidal software player can decode MQA and will send the digital audio via PCM to the Encore mDSD, so you should have no problems listening to your MQA albums this way. There is no plan to upgrade the mDSD for native MQA decoding, which will likely not bring any sonic benefits.
Best Regards"

So, does this mean that it should support it?

It means that it will play, but the device the player is on will have to decode it before sending it to the DAC. That is not true MQA, since MQA is intended to be applied from the front end software through decoding and amplification. Will you notice a huge difference? Probably not.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #126 of 130
Guys, I just ordered the Encore mDSD for my laptop! It's on 50% sale in Sweden, so couldn't resist.

I hope the Encore would be a good replacement for my Dragonfly Black v1.2 as a daily driver.

Honestly, it is a horrible replacement for the Dragonfly Black. It is no where near as good. That is why you don’t see reviews on all the websites for the Encore, but you do see them for the Dragonfly Black.i hope you can get your money back. Hopefully, you did not spend too much.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #127 of 130
Honestly, it is a horrible replacement for the Dragonfly Black. It is no where near as good. That is why you don’t see reviews on all the websites for the Encore, but you do see them for the Dragonfly Black.i hope you can get your money back. Hopefully, you did not spend too much.
Seems to outspec the Dragonfly Black on all fronts.

Oct 16, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #128 of 130
Hi everyone !

I’m searching for the windows driver for the Encore mDSD. Does anyone still have this driver somewhere ?

The website of encore-av is down, Nuprime doesn’t respond.

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #129 of 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back