Review: Denon AH-C260 vs Skullcandy Smokin Buds
Apr 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Denon AH-C260 vs Skullcandy Smokin Buds

i just recieved the denons and the only other IEM i have to compare them to are the skullcandy's, they are both about £20 on amazon.

Here is a review of both of them, tested with lots of genres and all at 320Kbps from a Sansa Clip+.

First of all build quality, the denon's feel much nicer and are better built, with a cable that looks less likely to break than the skullcandy. The volume control on the skullcandy is ok, and quite slim so it wouldn't get in the way too much.

Acessories: the denon's came with 4 pairs of silicone sleeves, the skullcandy only 3. The denon's have a clip which you can attach to the cable to clip to your clothes and a cable holder, the skullcandy came with a little pouch to keep them in.

Comfort: the denon's are so comfy, i hardly feel them when i have them in, whereas the skullcandy is quite difficult to get a good seal and they are not very comfy.

Soundstage: both fairly average for the price, the denon wins by a bit in this area.

Instrument separation: the denon's are much more clear and easy to distinguish each instrument, the skullcandy sounds like they are all crammed together with no real separation (veiled).

Sound:

Clarity: the denon's have a clearer sound than the skullcandy.

Highs: the highs on the skullcandy sound very distant and recessed, the denon's highs are slightly more forward and sound more detailed.

Mids: the skullcandy mids are fairly good but recessed and the skullcandy's can be sillibant at times, the denon's are recessed to but not as badly and they have very smooth mids.

Bass:
Impact: the skullcandy wins in this section, but not by much, the denons have very nice impact too.
Extension: the denon's have much better extension, they reach very far down, whereas the skullcandy's roll of quite a bit before the denon's.
Overall bass: the denon's have more bass (which can be a bit overpowering depending on the song) but better extension, the skullcandy has more refined bass.

They are both bass heavy IEM's with the skullcandy having more controlled bass but in less quantity, the denon's have plenty of bass with very nice extension. In my opinion the denon's are better because they sound clearer, are more comfortable and suit most genres fine. The skullcandy sounds very veiled.

This is my first proper review so i'm sorry if it's not great. I hope to get better over time. Thank you for reading this.

Oscar.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 22
Nice review, it's not long but every review doesn't need to be. I like your concise description in each area you compared them in. Also it's good to see a review of the Denon 260 as it has not had much attention.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 22
thank you, sorry about the format tho because it was done from my phone, next time i will do it on a pc to make it look better

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 22
i actually quite like the denon's the clarity is nice, and instrument separation is good. I mainly love them because they are so comfy.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 22
This is good to know for me so thanks! I have had the Skullcandys before but found them to be a little unsophisticated and found the bass to be a bit too harsh. I was thinking about replacing them with the Denons you reviewed but I wasnt keen on buying their 'entry level' product. I got Klipsch S2s in the end (which are also 20 quid incidentally) which I really like. Ill defo consider the Denons when I look for my next pair though.

May 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 22
I was actually reading this while purchasing my Denons. They are really good for the price, compared to those Skullcandies (which I previously owned). Best budget IEMs.

May 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 22
well im glad i helped you find some nice IEM's i do love them too. that was the whole point in writing this, to help people. its nice when you know you've managed to help someone. 

May 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 22
Great review! I also have the Denons for a few months and I must say for the price they are good! However, I found them too bassy coming out of my Sansa Clip+ so I replaced them with the UM-1 which I think is a very, very, very huge jump in quality, even though the UM-1 seems to be looked down upon in this forum

May 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 22
yes they are bass heavy, i know. My girlfriend uses them now, and she loves them. i just use my K518 DJ's now

May 30, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 22
Not too good, but not bad as well. You can still listen at safe volumes (I use the album cover on my iPod classic as a reference line) while still hearing what you need to hear in the outside world (AKA horns / shouting)

Edit: No, I didn't use Comply tips. They say they muffle the sound a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back