Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #181 of 416
Well after a week with a new Taboo to partner my lcd-2 (rev1), I can say it is pretty impressive :¬)

The pluses :

The juice is simply limitless. No matter how complex a passage may be the amp rumbles along effortlessly. It’s quick and agile (meaning the attack and decay are definitely a step up from my other amps).

Detail retrieval and extension are also impressive to my ears.

I find the lucid mode brings a lot to the table... I was a bit sceptic about it, but the out-of-head feeling it provides is pretty impressive (since it’s a switch, it’s very easy to compare with and without it). It definitely helps with placement and 3-dimensionality.

Now the minuses :

My unit has a bit of a hum to it... Although I have to admit I haven’t tried to resolve this with tube rolling, power management, etc. But I’m not sure I will be able to get rid of it completely.

I find that you need to have speakers plugged in to have the amp to make my LCD-2s sing. Otherwise, the headphones lose a lot of control and refinement. I know you can place resistors in each speaker circuits to simulate speakers and have the same effect has having speakers plugged in - will experiment with that and report back, because for me speakers are a bit of a nuisance (I use the amp in a work environment).

For my particular situation, a preamp is a must. The volume control on my amp seems a bit useless. If I plug the CDP directly the volume becomes incredibly loud with the slightest of movement of the knob (and has some channel imbalance). So the sound needs to be controlled line-level-wise for me to get rid of the channel imbalance and to offer some sort of control on the amp’s power. And maybe my partnering preamps are not that synergetic, because I need to EQ the sound a bit to get it to my liking (Although I admit I’m a bit of a bass-head).

So overall I’m pleased so far, but as you read It’s an amp that I had to « tame » to get it to work it’s best in my situation (And I might add that I still have a bit of taming to do). Will tube roll a bit and try some other combinations and report back my findings down the road...

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #182 of 416
Quote:
I find that you need to have speakers plugged in to have the amp to make my LCD-2s sing. Otherwise, the headphones lose a lot of control and refinement. I know you can place resistors in each speaker circuits to simulate speakers and have the same effect has having speakers plugged in - will experiment with that and report back, because for me speakers are a bit of a nuisance (I use the amp in a work environment).

Getting my taboo in about a week I'd say.  I was wondering if most of you have experienced this effect?

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #183 of 416
Update: http://www.head-fi.org/t/535131/review-decware-taboo-an-amazing-achievment/180#post_8452980

Forum topic: Problem with my new taboo?

Or normal? Lucid mode is much louder but sounds like I am in a reverberating opera hall and is a bit static like.

Without Lucid mode... its way too low to hear anything.  I know this amp likes a heavy source but this is crazy!

This is with headphones~

Posted this in Decware forum

It seems to work fine outside of lucid mode, but its far too low volume.  Not being in lucid mode even though the volume is super low it sounds NORMAL, not bad or damage

In Lucid mode it sounds so.so volume wise but the music seems to slowwww down just a tiny bit, things sound a bit tinny.  I imagined Lucid mode to have an affect but not the kind I am hearing, I imagined it would be more subtle.

If you have a sound card from creative turn on orchestral EAX effect. (or similar effect in your audio player but the creative one is very pronounced).  It sounds like that sorta, and as if someone seriously dialed back the speed!  Missing tons of detail as well.

I am going to connect it to my lyr as preamp when I get home.(which I dont want to use because it has a nice hum on it) Just so I can do a bit more testing.

For reference my source is a Schiit BiFrost.  Output @ ~ 2v based on specs.  But given my issues above I doubt it would cause that many problems.  

Could it be a tube problem? All tubes seem to light up.  The power tube lights up only at the top, both output tubes are in the right place and the input tube is settled into the socket.  Is the entire tube supposed to light up?  On stock.

Why do I come to the forums first? I want to get it fixed before I have to send it back for inspection.  

I have tested both variable and non-variable inputs (Only with my LCD-2s as they can accept any load this amp throws at them).  Same problem though!

Maybe I need dummy speaker loads?

I know a lot of you have speakers, but I do not.  Besides rivers cut off switch of course.

Good News?

On both of my main headphones(LCD-2, DT770 pro 80) the backgrounds black as black can get.  No tube static or pop.  Tested before connected to a source!  In short it is well above the lyr which is a loud amp that plays background music of its own even when not connected to a source. 

I guess my power source is a tad cleaner than most. Reminds me of my solid state system which is always a good thing!.  Obviously I can't tell you anything about sound quality or anything else in that regards.

Perhaps head-fi can help as well

Besides that the amp is Gorgeous to look at, and I want to rave about how AWESOME its going to sound.  I know my situation cannot be anywhere close to normal and am looking forward to truly hearing it for the first time. 

If anyone else has a similar issue to me, I need  a definite fix.

If anyone wants to teach me how to or even make a dummy speaker load cable for me it would be appreciated! 

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #184 of 416
^

I have a hard time to understand you... But if I understand your situation correctly, it represents the exact opposite from my situation?!?

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #186 of 416
Ninji something's wrong!

I have a very similar configuration, including sometimes using a Bifrost with it. I have had none of these problems.

Contact Decware. They have a great reputation for support.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #187 of 416
@Francoy agree 100% with your pluses. Well put.

Haven't experienced any hum whatever. Taboo is reputedly extremely quiet. Certainly true of mine. Hope you get it sorted.

Often, it's a noisy tube.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #188 of 416
Quote:
Basically, I don't understand whats wrong with the amp.  It might be bad~  its far beyond tastes it sounds glitched and lo-fi.

Couple of things about the Taboo. The headphone jack works in lucid mode all the time at least mine did  and I had the first Taboo with a headphone jack. Steve had to work through some issues and he decided that it would be lucid mode all the time. If he changed the later ones I am not sure and no longer have the Taboo. Fill out a service request form from the website and send it in and he will fix the problems you describe because it is unusual and if its a problem he will cover shipping both ways if you just received the amp. One thing also if you need more gain use a 12AX7 tube if you use a preamp like the csp2 I fount the Mullard 12AT7 worked best with my setup. They are available for 30.00 from Upscale Audio and is a great tube

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #189 of 416
^ What you done with your Taboo Frank? You didn't get bored with it didja? 
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #190 of 416
Quote:
^ What you done with your Taboo Frank? You didn't get bored with it didja? 
eek.gif

when I decided to sell my he500 and Omega speakers I really had no use for it as my csp2 is handling my headphones well so I decided to sell it for the Oppo BDP95 and  other stuff. If i ever set up a speaker room properly I would buy one again but for headphones I am covered as I do not plan to buy any more orthos which is the reason the Taboo was purchased for the LCD2 and speakers.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #191 of 416
Quote:
Couple of things about the Taboo. The headphone jack works in lucid mode all the time at least mine did  and I had the first Taboo with a headphone jack. Steve had to work through some issues and he decided that it would be lucid mode all the time. If he changed the later ones I am not sure and no longer have the Taboo. Fill out a service request form from the website and send it in and he will fix the problems you describe because it is unusual and if its a problem he will cover shipping both ways if you just received the amp. One thing also if you need more gain use a 12AX7 tube if you use a preamp like the csp2 I fount the Mullard 12AT7 worked best with my setup. They are available for 30.00 from Upscale Audio and is a great tube

Definitely but gain in Lucid mode is ok, it wont shake the house but i'll definitely look into a high gain tube until I purchase the pre-amp.  I been trying to contact directly with support but since I work it is hard.  See if we could diagnose the issue without me having to send it back! (I waited 5 months to get it, sending it back now might make me cry especially with how expensive shipping is going to cost me)

Though I probably will have to as the whole problem seems to be with the lucid circuit.  Yea I dont think this amp was meant to be run outside of lucid on the headphone output, volume is way too low like barely even a whisper but sounds "normal" which is why I was using it as a comparison to lucid mode.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #192 of 416
Quote:
Definitely but gain in Lucid mode is ok, it wont shake the house but i'll definitely look into a high gain tube until I purchase the pre-amp.  I been trying to contact directly with support but since I work it is hard.  See if we could diagnose the issue without me having to send it back! (I waited 5 months to get it, sending it back now might make me cry especially with how expensive shipping is going to cost me)

Though I probably will have to as the whole problem seems to be with the lucid circuit.  Yea I dont think this amp was meant to be run outside of lucid on the headphone output, volume is way too low like barely even a whisper but sounds "normal" which is why I was using it as a comparison to lucid mode.

I dont think anyone can resolve you issue but Steve turnaround for repair is 7 days total there and back. They do repairs quickly

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #194 of 416
Hi @Ninji 

Like Frank said it seems Decware will cover your shipping.

I repeat, something's wrong!! My configuration is very similar to yours (no preamp before the Taboo) and even the 12AU7 (lowest gain) tube gave plenty of power to my (rev1) LCD2.

Get in touch with them pronto! And good luck!

@Frank, ah I see. Glad you've still got Decware in the house - gonna order my own CSP2 as soon as my daughter gets done with wedding plans!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #195 of 416
I talked with support and he echoed the same concerns saying the difference between lucid and normal mode in terms of volume should not be great, that right there was a telling sign.

Going to the the electronic notice tonight, and hopefully have it shipped back by tomorrow night if all goes well.  Hopefully have it back within the next 2 weeks!

I am sad to see it go back but I cant wait to get it back fully functional!  RMA process has been very very very very smooth. 

1. Have a fun conversation with the technician
2. Back to Sarah to set up an RMA
3. Ship out amp with pre-purchased label.

I had some problems in the beginning when it came to getting information about the amp, but their post sales support is phenomenal.

Just thought I would post this as with anything electronic things can go wrong and post purchase support can be very very very important to future buyers.  In this case so far they get an A+,  I will definitely post more when I get the amp back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back