REVIEW: DARKVOICE 3322
Jan 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 492
Nice amp, just be careful with that on switch on the top of it. Since it appears to be identical to the one on the front of my 336SE which broke, just be warned that it breaks easily. I'd maybe use a power strip or switched power conditioner or something to turn it on, myself. My 336SE - I simply bypassed the switch and put the wires together so they were always on.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice amp, just be careful with that on switch on the top of it. Since it appears to be identical to the one on the front of my 336SE which broke, just be warned that it breaks easily. I'd maybe use a power strip or switched power conditioner or something to turn it on, myself. My 336SE - I simply bypassed the switch and put the wires together so they were always on.

Is that dangerous?
^Yep, very nice review godkin, what I'm interested in is does this amp have many tube rolling options? What are the availability of its tubes? When you say tubes manufactured in the 60's and 70's does that mean that stocks could run out?

I have a couple of extra tubes with my micro tube, but if I get the 3322 should I be worried?

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 492
The 3322 is limited in respect to the 6S19 tubes. As I pointed out in the review, there is really only two options in relation to manufacturers and tube types: the 6S19P and the better quality or ruggedised 6S19P-B made by either SVETLANA or ULYANOVSK. With any NOS tube there is finite supply, and sometime in the future that supply will be exhausted. But the Russians made literally millions of these things for their military. Allied to the fact that the 6S19P is not widely used in audio applications means that there are no fears that supplies will run out in the near future.

With respect to the smaller, signal tubes, the 6J1, there are many versions to choose from, including fantastic sounding western equivalents from the likes of MULLARD, BRIMAR, SIEMENS, TELEFUNKEN, SYLVANIA, RCA, GENERAL ELECTRIC, WESTERN ELECTRIC, TUNG-SOL, RAYTHEON, etc. European versions include: EF95, M8100 and CV4010, while in the US the tubes were made under the numbers 6AK5, 6AK5W, 5654, 403A, 403B, etc. As to whether supplies will run out, the above arguement pretty much applies.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 492
Thanks for a great review. Must be a wonderful amp!
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3322 is limited in respect to the 6S19 tubes. As I pointed out in the review, there is really only two options in relation to manufacturers and tube types: the 6S19P and the better quality or ruggedised 6S19P-B made by either SVETLANA or ULYANOVSK. With any NOS tube there is finite supply, and sometime in the future that supply will be exhausted. But the Russians made literally millions of these things for their military. Allied to the fact that the 6S19P is not widely used in audio applications means that there are no fears that supplies will run out in the near future.

With respect to the smaller, signal tubes, the 6J1, there are many versions to choose from, including fantastic sounding western equivalents from the likes of MULLARD, BRIMAR, SIEMENS, TELEFUNKEN, SYLVANIA, RCA, GENERAL ELECTRIC, WESTERN ELECTRIC, TUNG-SOL, RAYTHEON, etc. European versions include: EF95, M8100 and CV4010, while in the US the tubes were made under the numbers 6AK5, 6AK5W, 5654, 403A, 403B, etc. As to whether supplies will run out, the above arguement pretty much applies.

I know very little about the different tubes in an amp. What is a NOS tube?A driver tube? Power tube? Signal tube?
Thanks

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 492
NOS tube refers to 'New Old Stock' i.e. a brand new tube thats not been used, but maufactured in the days tubes were popular. There are millions of tubes that have never been plugged in, just waiting for the chance!

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 492
I have found the Mullard M8100 and the WE 403B to be as described above - I use them both (with the Senn HD600 and Denon AH-D5000's). I am truly impressed with this little gem of an amp - the clarity and sound stage are amazing and the treble is extended and sweet (but not overly so) - DV is on to something!

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 492
What are power tubes, driver tubes, and signal tubes? What is the purpose/difference between each? For eg., on in the 3322, which kind of tube is say, the 6S19P, and which is the M8100? Which alters the SQ of the amp more?

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 492
JC9384, to tell you the truth I haven't heard a bad tube combo in the 3322. But you're right some sound better than others. The WE 403B is one of my favourites with the HD650s, neutral sounding with superb clarity and openess. The M8100, a higher quality version of the EF95, gives you the openness and a degree of the clarity but adds more powerful bass and tube lushness. At the moment I am trying the AEG/SIEMENS 6AK5Ws, again a quite neutral sounding tube, with the SVETLANA 6S19P-Bs. Sound really good.

The 6S19Ps are the power tubes or power triodes: they simply rectify the power supply. The more stable the power supply the better the sound will be. The signal or driver tubes, the 6J1s, amplify the sound signal itself. They are the more important of the two and improve the sound the most.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JC9384, to tell you the truth I haven't heard a bad tube combo in the 3322. But you're right some sound better than others. The WE 403B is one of my favourites with the HD650s, neutral sounding with superb clarity and openess. The M8100, a higher quality version of the EF95, gives you the openness and a degree of the clarity but adds more powerful bass and tube lushness. At the moment I am trying the AEG/SIEMENS 6AK5Ws, again a quite neutral sounding tube, with the SVETLANA 6S19P-Bs. Sound really good.

The 6S19Ps are the power tubes or power triodes: they simply rectify the power supply. The more stable the power supply the better the sound will be. The signal or driver tubes, the 6J1s, amplify the sound signal itself. They are the more important of the two and improve the sound the most.

Thanks, now just need to fund this badboy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back