REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #661 of 1,486
  Thank you SurFi. I'll probably go for the Supra CAT 8, as it is reasonably priced. If I notice an improvement, I may later explore more expensive ones, but no rush for that.
Going for CAT 8 should future proof me for at least.... 6 weeks before 8a comes out :xf_eek:).

If I do end up with the LPS-1, I'll try sending back my 7v MCRU to get it reconfigured/updated for my 12v router. I don't know if they can easily do that, but as they have already so many variants of the same basic model, I don't see why not.

You had said 'switch's' which I took to mean the ethernet switch..I was referring to a basic LPS with respect to that type of a switch. Your MCRU is certainly no slouch or basic by any means!!!

Definitely update us on whether and how your reconfigured MCRU makes a difference feeding another component in the chain vs. the standard included wall wart/supply.

As for the Supra CAT 8 cables, GO FOR IT. They have already demonstrated a real improvement over the more basic LAN cables I was using. I'm curious to hear how they perform within your system.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #663 of 1,486

Articnoise, they were 'slightly upgraded (from off the shelf)' CAT 6 Patch Cables (24AWG) that have worked very well delivering video/audio for my home theatre needs. I don't want to disparage the brand because I don't know if those cables were/are fully responsible for the stuttering.

I've actively listened with the Supra CAT 8s in the system for about two hours now (with about 15 hours of total time on them as I am typing) and there has only been one solitary stutter. It could be any number of things, so I'm not ready to say I know for sure it was purely a cable issue in terms of the original LAN cables.

I didn't want to have to change out the cable modem/router as a test since we are in a fully furnished rental temporarily (as we wait for some renovations to be completed on our home) due to the hassle factor ... so I'm really pleased with the difference the Supra CAT 8s have made. Once we are set up in our new house, I will be able to choose the service and equipment which will make any changes easier.

The Supra CAT 8s have definitely improved, even over the short run time so far. And there is an absolute improvement in sound quality within the system using the Supra CAT 8s over the original LAN cables.

Listening to Peter Green's 'A Fool no More' from his In The Skies album, at this very moment. Amazing work.. And so very apropos for my LAN world!!!
happy_face1.gif

Thanks again for bringing them to my attention. 

No problem. Am glad to hear that you got an improvement in sound quality with the Supra CAT 8. 
beerchug.gif

I’m going to move my computer + mR (very temporary) close to the modem/router sometime in the future to hear how the Supra holding up against my 0.75 meter AQ Vodka LAN cable. The difference, if any, will show the difference between a very short AQ Vodka LAN cable and a long Supra CAT 8. Interesting but not a hassle free experiment that will have to wait. Yesterday a got the very expansive upgraded version of the same DAC I already own home for test and I also got a note that my MCRU router LPS was shipped. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #664 of 1,486
Got to try out my LPS-1 yesterday, powered by the JS-2. I'm liking what I am hearing thus far. Definitely, a worthwhile purchase.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #665 of 1,486
   Am glad to hear that you got an improvement in sound quality with the Supra CAT 8.

Turns out the two sets of LAN cables I had used prior to the Supra's were not the problem. I was bumping up against the limits of the base sonicTransporter. Andrew re-diagnosed and advised a move to the i5 sonicTransporter. I'm considering either the i5 or maybe the i7 or another Roon Ready 'server/player box.' 

The Supra CAT 8s are great and are a very worthwhile addition to my system. Thanks for bringing the brand and the specific network cable to my attention.

On another note, the UltraCap LPS-1 is well worth investing in. It is powering the microRendu so I only speak in that respect.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #667 of 1,486
Update on my networking journey (see previous page):

6. Replaced a 3m Monoprice CAT 6 with a 2m Supra CAT 8. I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got was significant SQ improvement across the board. It was so obvious that I thought, from memory, it was greater than going from iFi to MCRU power upgrade. But memory is an unreliable measuring instrument. So I compared iFi + Supra versus MCRU + Monoprice, and the MCRU just edged it. But the Supra change was in the same ballpark, which is amazing for only £40. By far the best was when both MCRU and Supra were in place. So thank you Articnoise, Surfi and anyone else who recommended the Supra. It makes me wonder what further can be achieved with more expensive cables, but that can wait for another day.

2. To replace my laptop to router wifi link with ethernet cable, I used the Monoprice CAT 6 from above. I would have bet money that I either wouldn't notice the difference, or the cable would sound better. But no, wifi sounded better and by a significant margin. About the same ballpark as Supra vs Monoprice. I can only imagine that there's some weird synergy going on with my particular setup.

3. No point at the moment in replacing my ancient wifi router with a gigabit switch, as wifi sounds so good. PS. Having now got to chapter 2 of Networking for Dummies, I now realise the difference between a switch and router, so apologies for randomly mixing up my terminology in earlier posts. I also realise that a switch is insufficient on it's own because it doesn't do dynamic addressing as required for the mR.

1. Which brings me to the LPS-1 power supply upgrade. C'mon guys, some of you must now be in a position to rate this now! I've read some posts at CA and it seems to be well received there.    

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #668 of 1,486
  I picked up a Lumin S1.

Definitely the best streamer I've heard so far.

I am happy that you enjoy your new toy :wink:

Could you tell us why you chosed the S1 instead of the A1 ? Did you compared them ? Some prefers the A1 sound with PCM !

Also, do you consider the S1's internal DAC so good that there is no benefic at all to add an external 10 K$ DAC like DAVE, TotalDAC...

thanks

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #669 of 1,486
I went straight for the S1, so I didn't hear the A1.

The streamer on the S1 is top notch.

The DAC itself I find to be a bit polite. It's lovely and puts a smile on my face, but I'm sure you can find a DAC with more dynamics and PRAT.

The S1 really is geared towards someone who wants the vinyl sound.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #670 of 1,486

That's terrific!  Glad everything has worked out so well!

As for the LPS-1, it is well worth the spend on it.

I can't get into specifics, because there have been so many small changes in my system recently (in the last hour I added the Small Green Computer i5 sonicTransporter, which replaced the base sonicTransporter (which itself has been out of system, therefore wireless via my PC serving as control/core/remote etc for Roon to the microRendu). Both the sT and the Supra CAT 8 are new and need to settle in. And there is a replacement HD-Plex on the way to power some of the peripherals (the original was damaged during shipping).

Once my system is settled and optimized I will be able to do some A-B-ing.

Having said that, the LPS-1 has brought an improvement that is (and was) immediately apparent. If you have not ordered one yet, I'd put the order in to get in the queue. If you change your mind I'm sure someone will be happy to take your spot. : )

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #672 of 1,486
Just added the HDPLEX 100W LPS into my system.

Currently it is only powering the Small Green Computer i5 sonicTransporter. Previously the i5 sT was being powered by the included stock brick and cables.

There have been immediate sound quality improvements.

More of most everything.

Most noticeable is the improvement in the bass.

Greater clarity and transparency.

More reverb and air around the notes / instruments.

'Loudness' has gone up. I'm listening at the 9 o'clock position on the HeadAmp GS-X MkII vs the 10 o'clock position.

Really surprising.

My system chain is listed below and these impressions are based on listening with the Focal Utopias.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #673 of 1,486
This is quite interesting. I would have thought that the isolation of the ethernet network means that upgrading the server and its power supply would produce no audible improvements. Is there anyone who has information to share on this?

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #674 of 1,486
Based on what I have read on the Computer Audiophile threads regarding this area, I was also not expecting much.

Once the UltraCap LPS-1 went into the system powering the Sonore microRendu, I had planned on using the HDPLEX to power my W4S Recovery and Uptone Audio Regen for secondary headphone use. I did the hookup primarily to make sure the HDPLEX was working okay.

My reaction was 'Well I'll be...'  

So I'm curious as well....

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #675 of 1,486
A server or router is not immune to the quality of the mains power. In all SOTA sources (CAT, Aurender etc.) they use premium PSU’s and never, never a 2 dollar wall wart.

The galvanic isolation is an electrical isolation for the transmission signal. Very fast constantly switching of power in cheap wall warts have 1, an impact on other gear that is connected to the same grid and 2, the server or router has an transmitter board and switcher that just like an USB receiver will be negatively affected by the noise/instability the switching of power can generate. If you have the server or router on a totally different power line, you may not have problem with number 1, but still number 2.  

A smps is functioning directly opposite of class A (not all smps are bad sounding thou).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back