REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
May 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #856 of 1,486
Yes Doc, the idea that all the little boxes could be directly wired inside a single server is very appealing.
However, as far as I can tell, the big advantage that the mR/SMS200 has over a single box solution is precisely that the renderer part is run in a dedicated mini processor entirely separately from the main processor. If that can be achieved inside the main server enclosure then good thing.

It still remains the case though, that no one, not even lojay, has totally raved about the 1000SQ server - in the way that a number of people have raved about the little boxes. It could be that the 1000SQ is an evolving project that is barely keeping up with the little box progress. But if it does manage to catch up, then it will go top of my wish list..

Edit: @yellowblue, I'll be able to answer precisely that question when I get the home loans in

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #857 of 1,486
I have to order the TX-USBultra within two weeks to get a 10% Early Bird discount. I own a MicroRendu (with LPS-1). Somebody here who has heard the MicroRendu with the TX-USBultra? Or would it be better to sell the MicroRendu and buy an SMS (Ultra)?

Can you tell me about the difference in sound between LPS-1 and MCRU for powering mR?

May 12, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #858 of 1,486
I had hard to tell a difference between the LPS-1 and the MCRU - both are much better than the Ifi. I will surely use my MCRU with other devices in the future, maybe with the ISO-Regen (I get one from the first batch) or with a sMS-200 Ultra . You don´t need to buy a good power cable for the LPS-1 - this is a big advantage (I am not sure how much a power cable affects the sound of the MCRU). But on the other side the MCRU from a good power conditioner (I will soon get one) might sound slightly better than a LPS-1.

May 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #859 of 1,486
I had hard to tell a difference between the LPS-1 and the MCRU - both are much better than the Ifi. I will surely use my MCRU with other devices in the future, maybe with the ISO-Regen (I get one from the first batch) or with a sMS-200 Ultra . You don´t need to buy a good power cable for the LPS-1 - this is a big advantage (I am not sure how much a power cable affects the sound of the MCRU). But on the other side the MCRU from a good power conditioner (I will soon get one) might sound slightly better than a LPS-1.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Good power and a good power conditioner is very important for ultimate sound IMO. I have a Gigawatt PC3 SE EVO.

May 12, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #860 of 1,486
I found that what I have currently easily outperforms the U1. Comparatively speaking, I found the U1 to sound flat.

Yes, this is what I'm saying. During a head-to-head comparison against the microRendu, the person who owned the U1 was surprised as well. He eventually sold his U1

This could be because of the power supply with the U1. It has the same power supply as the S1, which I found flat.

I use a D1 with a plixir now, and I actually prefer it over the S1 that I owned (which costs 5x more than the D1).

It's much more dynamic and musical than the S1. This could be due to the Plixir being a better power supply than the Lumin.

We audiophiles always want the best, and we usually equate better with the higher prices.

So I was very surprised to find out how good the D1 was at 1/5th the cost.

At $2k plus the cost of a good linear power supply, I think it's an incredible bargain.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #861 of 1,486
TheAttorney:

According to Sotm:

1) the SMS-1000sq can use the sCLK-EX card which reclocks BOTH the network player and USB regenerator. Essentially making it an "Ultra" Network Player and "Ultra" USB regenerator.

2) the SMS-1000sq consisted of three different modules within a single chassis which require 2 power supplies. A music server, Network Player and USB regenerator. So it is 3 separate modules housed in a single chassis. Now if that is better or not is a matter of extensive debate. But it avoids the extra cables, switches, etc.

3) the SMS-1000sq's built in Network Player is not the SMS-200 but is (again, according to Sotm) better then the SMS-200 board.

4) The SMS-1000SQ is sonically much better than the sMS-200.

As to why it is not as reviewed, I can only guess that has to do, mostly, with its cost. The single pieces (SMs-200ultra and TX-USBultra) are each relatively inexpensive, while the 1000SQ with upgrades, hard drive, power supply, upgraded clocks is around $7800'ish for the fully loaded SMS-1000SQ "Ultra" plus a Paul Hynes SR7. That's expensive and a real item for review.... my guess is SOTM is selling and pre-selling tons of regular and ultra SMs-200's and TX-USB's by forum word of mouth and Internet. It's all quite logical.

As Romaz keeps saying, I think the Sotm gear is VERY dependent on the quality of the power supply.

May 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #862 of 1,486
TheAttorney:

According to Sotm:

May of SOTM told me and Roy separately that my SMS-1000SQUltra can benefit from an outboard tX-USBultra. That is even though the SMS-1000SQ already has a separate tX-USBexp module that's clocked by their new super clock sCLK-EX. Not sure why that's the case.

May 13, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #863 of 1,486
May of SOTM told me and Roy separately that my SMS-1000SQUltra can benefit from an outboard tX-USBultra. That is even though the SMS-1000SQ already has a separate tX-USBexp module that's clocked by their new super clock sCLK-EX. Not sure why that's the case.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why you feel your 1000sq would be second tier to a computer/sms200ultra/Tx-USBultra when, according to sotm the 1000sw has a better network player then the SMS-200 built in and the card for the Tx-USB is the same as the one in the standalone TX-USB. And the SCLK-EX reclocking card used to "ultra" both the SMS-200 and the TX-USB is the same whether installed in the 1000sq or used in the standalone SMS-200 and TX-USB units.

It makes no sense that a separate tx-USBultra should improve your unit..... unless your 1000sq "Ultra" only had the Music Renderer module reclocked but not the TX-USB module. You may want to ask about that.

I guess the logical argument to that is that just like an amp/pre-amp vs an integrated or a transport/DAC vs a CD player, the seperate components allow for better mechanical and electrical isolation, better power supplies (which in this case is not accurate), and more focus on each just doing their one job the best they can.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #864 of 1,486
May 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #865 of 1,486
Not easy to make choices nowadays - ready to pull the trigger for a TX-USBultra - just when the ultraRendu is announced.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31811-sonore-ultrarendu/
Indeed. Question is: how long are you willing to wait? Details are still scarce. I simply pulled the trigger on a microRendu, which I will be taking over from a friend for a good price. My Sonicorbiter SE died last week so I am facing a "first world" audio emergy. Good to know that the LPS-1 I have on order is still compatible.

May 14, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #866 of 1,486
The concept of microRendu is to “fully separate” the core (computer) from the output (microRendu). The design is a form of a NAA (network audio adapter). All computers create switching noise, which is prone to pollute the audio signal and other gear, and the harder the computer processor work the more noise they produce.

The separation with the mR is done both in term of electrical galvanic isolation and in divided boxes with separated PSUs, so the design difference is probably bigger than between an amp/pre-amp and an integrated amp. I don’t have the SMS-200, but I believe it’s in the same fully separate configuration most use and like it.

May 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #867 of 1,486
Ok. Here is the response from May at sotm:

"If you add the sCLK-EX option to the sMS-1000SQ, the sCLK-EX will reclock the internal sMS-1000SQ including the tX-USBexp. But the external tX-USBultra is still highly recommended used together with the reclocked SMs-1000sq"ultra" for any USB audio system to make the sound quality even more better, even though the same sCLK-EX has been installed into the sMS-1000SQ.
Also, I feel Linux has much more detail than Windows OS, the sound is more dynamic to me in Linux OS. "

So there you go. Apparently reclocking the reclocked USB signal apparently makes a difference. It's not the first time I have heard that. The TotalDAC System Twelve reclocks after the music server in the server module and then reclocks AGAIN before the DAC in the DAC modules.

So I guess the more TX-USBultras you daisy chain, the better the sound.

Any opinions in general on the sound quality of a Linux server vs a Windows server??? It's not common to see 2 products offered that are identical except for the OS. But the consensus at sotm is that their Linux sounds better. Or is that just because the SMS-200 is a Linux product?

May 15, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #869 of 1,486
So at least one user who had the sMS-1000SQ with the sCLK-Ex said it didn't really make a difference when he changed servers to a sonicTransporter i7 with the tX-USB Ultra and the sMS-200 Utlra.

Good to know. Is there a computer that's known for being exceptional? I want to run Roon. I'm great going the 200/USB "ultra" separates. I have an older Mac mini and have always found it lacking compared to the N10

I just like the idea of less boxes and cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back