REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #166 of 807
Quote:

Bass response from the C3 with the TF10's (fitted with a Dark Lord cable) is a little light for my tastes compared with the Zip, which is a little heavier. That said, the TF10's are as crisp as could be with the C3, with kick drums coming through with punch, but sub-bass and mid-bass not as deep and well extended as the Zip. My feeling is that if you are looking for bass clarity then you'll be fine buying the C3 and using it with TF10's, but if you are looking for bass depth, then given the C3 has no EQ, you might want to look elsewhere.

Comparison for bass with the Zip was carried out using the album 'My Way' from Skazi, in FLAC format, ripped from CD with dbPoweramp and AccurateRip. This album has complex and deep synthesized basslines and sub-bass patterns, and kick drums that sound like they are pounding the bridge of your nose from inside of your head when used with the right setup :) No amps were used for this particular comparison with the Zip, and no EQ settings were setup on the Zip.

I wouldn't want to say anything more at the moment as these are impressions only, and I need to take some extended listening time with different styles of music and bitrates. I am only responding at this time, to give you an initial impression of the bass only, for particularly bass heavy music.

EDIT: For the purposes of clarity, there are some pre-defined EQ settings available on the C3, when I say that there is no EQ. Presets don't count as EQ as far as I am concerned, if they are not at least adjustable in some way :)

Thanks for this initial impression. I'm currently using a Clip Zip (Rockboxed) with my UM SE530x4 and love it, especially the extra bass which I can dial in (+24db + Rap EQ is skull-crushing!). Was seriously considering this C3 but unless I hear that the overall SQ is a big step up from a Clip Zip then I don't think I'll be splashing out on one.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #167 of 807
I just got mine. The size is just perfect - exactly what I was looking for as my hands are relatviley small - it's just spot-on. I'll charge it now and change the software and probably write down some initial sonic impressions later today.

edit: another thing to mention is that I expected only a USB cable for charging and I'm pleasantly surprised that they packed an outlet adapter that is actually for Europe and not just a Chinese one.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #168 of 807
Looks like they are rolling in,  something i should mention is im now getting closer to 14hrs on a charge for some reason.  I just picked up a Studio V for comparison purposes due to the stuff earlier on in the thread.  WIll report back in a few days.

Kova4a, did you get the Paa-1 earbuds as well?  Actually really surprised how good they sound.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #169 of 807
Yeah, I did. They are pretty good for earbuds but nothing special (or it's just me as there is zero isolation) - my brother will be happy though as he only uses earbuds. On another note I was just formatting my 64gb card as I was having issues with it and somehow I managed to brick it and it's totally unusable now - I can't format it, I can't open it - the pop-up window just says it's write-protected. Just great!

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #170 of 807
There was a panasonic sd format utility that may be worth a try, used to use it for problem r4 cards for nintendo ds.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #171 of 807
Yeah, I tried everything - the card is toast. Anyway, I'm ready with my first impressions on c3.

Build, Controls and Main Features:
It is pretty solid and sturdy and has nice weight. A you have seen from stozzer's pics it's slightly smaller than a Fiio e11 without the volume knob. While there are no hardware buttons aside from the power button and I kinda miss the hardware volume buttons, I do like the minimalist and clean look it has. I thought I had to update the software but it comes with the latest version. Controls are pretty responsive and the UI is very simple and easy to use - no bells and whistles just the basics and I like it that way. Aside from the normal eq preset I didn't like the other ones and I don't find them particularly good - I'm not a big fan of eq, so that's not a big issue for me but people who like it should look elsewhere. The screen is decent but I didn't find any difference in the brightness settings but that might be just me being tired. It's a little bit on the small side and likes to change the direction of displaying the titles ( right to left and the other way around - I still haven't picked the pattern ) - if you go back to the main screen where you choose which memory to access and continue from there the titles return to the normal way of scrolling to the left. Also, C3 handles cue sheets very well, so there are no issues with any flac albums and the separate tracks.

Power and SQ:
The C3 isn't particularly powerful at least with the iems I tested it with (almost all of them above 40 ohm though and not super efficient). I found myself listening to them at the max volume level of 40, so the player is a little bit less powerfull than a sansa clip and about on par with my Galaxy S. The good news is that the headphone signal is very clean of up to 35-36 volime level, so there shouldn't be any issues with amps although I'll give impressions on its synergy with external amps tomorrow. 
The sound is VERY clean but definitely bass light. I would say it's mid-forward, airy and on the bright side - it's all about clarity and the vocals, which are forward and clean but the instruments do tend to sound thin. There is virtually no hiss with recordings that have a little bit. Actually, the DAC handles hiss in bad recordings in a very strange manner - the ones that have a little bit of hiss become completely clean and in the ones that are worse and are definitely hissy on any source and with any iem, the hiss is almost entirely removed and sounds like the hiss has been transformed or replaced with low-level static noise. This static can get annoying but aside from really hissy recordings when this static may get overwhelming, the DAC handles hissing really good - on good recordings the sound is as clean as it can get. H20 wanted my impression on the synergy with the vsonic gr07 - well, it is indeed slightly underpowered and thin-sounding and as I said the sufficient listening volume for me was 40 with it and the bass is definitely on the light side. When I plugged the gr07 I was like -"hmm, that bass is lacking" and after that the vocals just hit me and I forgot about the bass but more fullness and warmth to the instruments would have been better. Actually, the C3 makes the gr07 sound amost analytical, which I do like with most of my music but it loses some of its balance and I wouldn't be listening to rap and hip-hop without an amp. The brainwavz b2 fared better as its bass does tend to distort at higher levels with warmer sources but still lacked a little bit of power straight out of the c3. I don't have to mention the ety er4s - it still needs an amp to shine. On the other hand the vsonic gr02 bass edition with decored olives sounds awesome as it is pretty bassy and the mids are a little bit recessed and the c3's mid-forward signature and the reduced bass make it sound very balanced and airy. Overall, while the power of the c3  is nowhere near to blow my eardrums, the volume levels of 38-40 are what I would use most of the time even if the volume went above 40 at least in a quiet environment. I can deffinitely see how the C3 can shine with the digizoid Zo2.3 as the Zo2 likes to hiss and distort fast on most sources but the C3 needs more bass and only a little bit more power and the c3's sq and output are very clean, so that might be a really good synergy that keeps the Zo2's shortcomings at bay. I have to say that I don't have a Zo2 for quite some time now, so I'm just assuming solely on previous experience.

Overall, the c3 is a very good DAP and more efficient headphones, which are on the bass side will sound great with it. The other iems though will need a little bit more power and bass depending on the genre and the personal preferences. I have spent a very short time with the c3 though, so the next days or weeks I may change some of my impressions but as I mainly value clarity and good vocals, I can't say I'm disappointed by the C3. I like the build, the size, the looks, the responsiveness and simplicity of the controls and the UI, the clarity and the vocals are great. On another hand, people who like more bass, don't have efficient headphone and don't want to use or don't have amps, or really need eq should probably look into something else.

edit: oh, and  a disclaimer: I'm still experimenting with tips for the gr07 and the seal I get isn't the greatest and my desktop rig and the Galaxy S, which I use with it are both fuller and warmer sounding, so the gr07 with some good fitting and sealing foam tips to add some bass depth and overall warmth can potentially make the gr07 really good sounding with the c3, so I still won't say with certainty that the gr07 and c3 don't have the best synergy.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #172 of 807
H20 wanted my impression on the synergy with the vsonic gr07 - well, it is indeed slightly underpowered and thin-sounding and as I said the sufficient listening volume for me was 40 with it and the bass is definitely on the light side. When I plugged the gr07 I was like -"hmm, that bass is lacking" and after that the vocals just hit me and I forgot about the bass but more fullness and warmth to the instruments would have been better. Actually, the C3 makes the gr07 sound amost analytical, which I do like with most of my music but it loses some of its balance and I wouldn't be listening to rap and hip-hop without an amp.

I find it really no surprise that this occurred. GR07 are actually quite demanding, at 50ohms they really need sufficient power to sound their best. As I mentioned a few pages back I thought C3 would drive them similar to the Clip+ but exactly how well was the question. One thing that almost turned me completely off GR07 was finding a source they would pair with besides my Dac/Amp. I almost sold them several times because I was becoming tired of amping them just to get performance. I did a lot of research on the matter about players, options, power outputs before deciding on Cowon's C2 which has given me great synergy with GR07.

Thanks for your honest impression Kova4a

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #173 of 807
Yup thanks for posting kova,

Pretty as I had thought out although i find the bass to be perfect and i cant really find much hiss (if any) on any of my recordings.  I have the Zo and it does go great.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #174 of 807
Quote:
I find it really no surprise that this occurred. GR07 are actually quite demanding, at 50ohms they really need sufficient power to sound their best. As I mentioned a few pages back I thought C3 would drive them similar to the Clip+ but exactly how well was the question. One thing that almost turned me completely off GR07 was finding a source they would pair with besides my Dac/Amp. I almost sold them several times because I was becoming tired of amping them just to get performance. I did a lot of research on the matter about players, options, power outputs before deciding on Cowon's C2 which has given me great synergy with GR07.
Thanks for your honest impression Kova4a

Well, I have to retract my previous statement on the Gr07 sounding thin with the c3. It was the tips - my ear cannals do like to change their size sometimes, so I got back to my big back of tips and started all over and finally settled on the blue sony hybrids and TA DA - there is the bass. The bass is still slightly less but I definitely can't say the gr07 sounds thin with the C3. I also can't say it's underpowered - it's underpowered in a sense that  someone may want a little bit more volume but not in a sense that the gr07's overall sound suffers in any way from lack of power. Also, the c3 pairs very well with the fiio e11 - both-sizewise and sound-wise. The e11 keeps the transparency and just tightens the bass and adds power - and as a bonus you get a volume knob instead of touch volume controls

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #175 of 807
i already ordered one from bigbargainonline and i wonder if this sd card works with colorfly c3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-SANDISK-MOBILE-ULTRA-UHS-I-MICRO-SDHC-MEMORY-CARD-WITH-SD-ADAPTER-/280947817312?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item4169cb7b60#shId

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #176 of 807
Every micro sd card should work. Frankly, you can just get a 32GB class 4 and save yourself some money beacause there is almost no difference.

I was looking through my stuff trying to find a better carrying case for the C3 as the one that came with it is quite big and whenever i put my hand in the pocket it feels like there is a huge tarantula - I just hate that fabric. So, I was looking and it just struck me - those stupid and useless for iems spring-clasp pouches that come with the vsonic iems. I just removed the clasp mechanism and replaced it with a thread and it's just the perfect size for the c3.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #177 of 807
if you want to go near naked, order some 3m carbon fibre and use an x-acto knife to cut it to size for the back side and tops.  Then cut up a phone screen cover for the front, job done and looks good.

I have this on my zo, touchpad, mac air etc.  Its really rugged material and holds well. Will also go one the c3 better as the only curve is on the bottom.

As for a good sized case, the one supplied with the yamaha eph is what i use, but also a crumpler pp45 or pp70 case is excellent.

3m carbom fibre film

crumpler case

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #178 of 807
Well, I have to retract my previous statement on the Gr07 sounding thin with the c3. It was the tips - my ear cannals do like to change their size sometimes, so I got back to my big back of tips and started all over and finally settled on the blue sony hybrids and TA DA - there is the bass. The bass is still slightly less but I definitely can't say the gr07 sounds thin with the C3. I also can't say it's underpowered - it's underpowered in a sense that  someone may want a little bit more volume but not in a sense that the gr07's overall sound suffers in any way from lack of power. Also, the c3 pairs very well with the fiio e11 - both-sizewise and sound-wise. The e11 keeps the transparency and just tightens the bass and adds power - and as a bonus you get a volume knob instead of touch volume controls

No matter what tips were used, I still think I'd prefer a player that doesn't need to be run at 40/40 for sufficient volume levels with GR07. I must say, that is quite a turn around from using one different set of tips. I'll stick with my Cowon player I think. 15/40 gets the job done, and I appreciate not needing to amp with E11 which I already feel veils the signal imo. My preference is keeping the signal clean as possible and avoiding amps unless absolutely required due to IEM/Headphone requirements .

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #179 of 807
Well, I do like the feeling of the c3 in the hand as it is, so I don't think I'll be sticking andything on it. As far as just a carrying case the vsonic pouch is like made just for the c3 -  I don't tend to drop my stuff or throw it around. All I need is to protect it from scratches and to have easy access to it - just slide in, slide out - no zippers or anything and that's the main reason I removed the spring-clasp of the pouch because it just slows the entire process. On the other hand, I'm thinking of slapping the c3 and the fiio e11 together with some 3m low-profile dual lock and I may have to find a slighlty bigger pouch or case. Ideally I have to find a small leather case that can be attached to a belt, might have to look into some mobile phone cases.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #180 of 807
Quote:
No matter what tips were used, I still think I'd prefer a player that doesn't need to be run at 40/40 for sufficient volume levels with GR07. I must say, that is quite a turn around from using one different set of tips. I'll stick with my Cowon player I think. 15/40 gets the job done, and I appreciate not needing to amp with E11 which I already feel veils the signal imo. My preference is keeping the signal clean as possible and avoiding amps unless absolutely required due to IEM/Headphone requirements .

Yeah, actually I was feeling the seal was kinda bad but it was so quit at home that it was when I plugged the gr07 in the e11 and the bass boost did almost nothing that I realised I must change the tips. Also, I understand your need for a DAP that gives you more control over the volume and that's why I haven't said the c3 is the best option - I just said that it doesn't sound underpowered or thin. On another hand, the e11 doesn't veil anything - the c3 is so reveiling and in your face with detail that probably even my old fiio e3 won't make the sound veiled with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back