Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
Apr 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock on, engineer.

A long winded intro, but interesting enough to read regardless. Here's my tl;dr

The JH13 Pro has a very natural sound.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 184
Well, just because one of them sounds more natural (or neutral) than the other doesn't mean the other can't also sound natural (or neutral). But ultimately one is going to edge the other out.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 184
Natural and neutral go hand in hand IMHO.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Natural and neutral go hand in hand IMHO.

Neutral means flat frequency response. It's great for monitoring and analytical listening, but the fact is human hearing is not flat. Far from it. An average person's hearing is represented by the human equal loudness contour. That is 'natural', and 'natural' sound as you can see from the graph, requires there to be a boost in the low end.

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutral means flat frequency response. It's great for monitoring and analytical listening, but the fact is human hearing is not flat. Far from it. An average person's hearing is represented by the human equal loudness contour. That is 'natural', and 'natural' sound as you can see from the graph, requires there to be a boost in the low end.

The JH13 Pro has a 6-8db boost in the sub-bass from 0db to compensate for the human ear.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you're misunderstanding what the intention of that graph is. That is what your ears and brain hear when something is being reproduced at flat frequency response at certain decibel levels. Generally, something that is played back with flat response will sound "correct" at around 85 dB. Lower than that it will lack bass and a bit of treble, louder than that and it will have a little bit of extra bass and treble. But that has nothing to do with wanting to have a transducer in a headphone that isn't flat.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, something that is played back with flat response will sound "correct" at around 85 dB. Lower than that it will lack bass and a bit of treble, louder than that and it will have a little bit of extra bass and treble.

beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock on, engineer.

A long winded intro, but interesting enough to read regardless. Here's my tl;dr

Quote:
The JH13 is more neutral, the JH16 is more natural.

smile.gif

Perhaps I should have just stated this sentence plus the pictures and called it (Sun)day....
darthsmile.gif

Yup, that about sums it up. Thanks!

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 184
Warp, this is an important thread. Much thanks for your efforts and excellent analysis.

Given my tastes, I am trending towards the JH13s or the ES3X. Neutral is the new black.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 184
This review is awesome warp. Thank you.

I'm going to reference back to this thread when I get my 16's and check out some of the songs you mentioned. They may not be my cup of tea, but I like to hear awesome sound.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #26 of 184
Thanks for taking the time to write this review, Warp. With so few people owning these IEM's, any additional data points are welcome. In my case, it makes me feel a lot more secure about the large sum of money I just dropped on my 16's. Keep up the good work!

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #27 of 184
Listening critically, I take back what I said about the ALO Rx being a bass oriented amp. It's fairly neutral. This amplifier is just awesome. By far the best amplifier I have as of now, not yet hearing the Protector balanced. Plugging my JH13 Pro into anything other my ALO Rx gives me an anemic sound that is still very highly detailed but just sounds too sterile and unnatural. The ALO Rx brings the bass precense back a lot. Also, what I love is how the voices now have a natural weight to it and now sound much more smoother and natural. and the treble is a lot more smooth and airy compared to the splashy and dry treble out of the other sources. The main noticeable improvement is the bass. The sub-bass is now alive and I can feel the visceral impact of these twin bass drivers. It's like a club feeling. It's very visceral in it's attack but yet remains extremely controlled and detailed. Wow! I would love to hear the JH16 Pro out of the ALO Rx...Interesting...

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #28 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening critically, I take back what I said about the ALO Rx being a bass oriented amp. It's fairly neutral. This amplifier is just awesome. By far the best amplifier I have as of now, not yet hearing the Protector balanced. Plugging my JH13 Pro into anything other my ALO Rx gives me an anemic sound that is still very highly detailed but just sounds too sterile and unnatural. The ALO Rx brings the bass precense back a lot. Also, what I love is how the voices now have a natural weight to it and now sound much more smoother and natural. and the treble is a lot more smooth and airy compared to the splashy and dry treble out of the other sources. The main noticeable improvement is the bass. The sub-bass is now alive and I can feel the visceral impact of these twin bass drivers. It's like a club feeling. It's very visceral in it's attack but yet remains extremely controlled and detailed. Wow! I would love to hear the JH16 Pro out of the ALO Rx...Interesting...

Hi Daniel i have Hifiman too and cant decide which custom to choose...What about bass in combination JH13 Pro and Hifiman?You want little more bass from this rig ot it is ideal?
happy_face1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #29 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Daniel i have Hifiman too and cant decide which custom to choose...What about bass in combination JH13 Pro and Hifiman?You want little more bass from this rig ot it is ideal?
happy_face1.gif

Out of my HiFiMAN the JH13 Pro sounds a bit anemic and sterile but still incredibly detailed. Tight bass but lacking in presence and impact. The vocals are a bit too airy and light and don't have a natural tone to them. The treble is very splashy and harsh. So the JH16 Pro may be your best bet, since supposedly it colors the sound to a musical presentation boosting bass and lower midrange presence. With the GAME amplifier module the JH13 Pro seems to like this module better and it sounds better but not as natural, rich and buttery smooth as the ALO Rx. With the ALO Rx as far as frequency response goes the JH13 Pro plugged into this sleek amp leaves me not wanting any boost in any part of the frequency. It's the sound I've been dreaming of, a sound where no frequency is boosted or lacking. I'm just hoping the Protector when balanced can take this sound and increase the sound stage and not alter the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back